Bombing questions

Diavo

I'm learning the various bombing modes the Viggen can use and really like the "all in attitude" of a plane build around the idea of hitting strong and fast.

While I play in MP i often feel the need to use a different way to engage targets that are scattered around and not worth of 1600kg of bombs.

Ence I got two questions

- which is the best bombing mode to engage targets of opporunity?

- is there a way to release a limited quantity of bombs instead of the full load while doing a bombing run?

Im new as well, and i cant give you the information on the bombs, but for me the best loadout for light targets of opportunity is 2 Gunpods and 2 Nintendo missiles (radio controlled missile)

for heavy armored targets i use the 4 x mavs loadout (Rb75 i think)

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

The Viggen isn't meant for what you want. The solution is to do what whaaw said. Mavericks OR Rocket pods (set to fire singles) OR gun pods and RB05.

You can't drop bombs one by one and you need to know the air pressure at the target to drop bombs accurately.

For me when dealing with targets of opportunities i am using unguided rockets which seems to be fairly accurate even with wrong QFE (or QNH dont remember which one the viggen is using) or Mavericks, havent really been playing around to much with the command guided rocket but maybe i should start, sounds like fun :D

You can use low drag bombs with precision dive mode (ANF-DYK), which uses the radar for ranging instead of QFE. If you're carrying bombs, this is the way to engage targets of opportunity.

If you're carrying high drag bombs, you can get an accurate CCIP delivery by setting your HUD altitude source to the RadAlt (RHM) and then set your baro altimeter to match your RadAlt in the HUD (e.g. 100m). Then you get an accurate vertical component for high drag delivery. Also, while CCIP uses QFE, the vertical component of the bomb triangle is not as critical for high drag as it is for low drag because the retarded drop makes for a near-vertical trajectory regardless of altitude (unlike the parabolic drop of low drag bombs). Besides, you want to drop low for high drag anyway; the whole point of retarded bombs is to explode behind you (rather than below you) so you don't get caught in their frag pattern.

Edited by Home Fries
  • Like 1

You can use low drag bombs with precision dive mode (ANF-DYK), which uses the radar for ranging instead of QFE. If you're carrying bombs, this is the way to engage targets of opportunity.

I don't think this is correct. You need to have an accurate QFE for all weapons to work accurately. I've tested this and even weapons that use radar ranging still need a correct QFE setting or you'll be off target.

I don't think this is correct. You need to have an accurate QFE for all weapons to work accurately. I've tested this and even weapons that use radar ranging still need a correct QFE setting or you'll be off target.

Interesting. That means that the CK37 isn't using the aircraft dive angle to complete the bombing triangle. Since the bombing triangle is a right triangle, all you need to determine the X and Y components is one interior angle (the dive angle at the time you go trigger up works) and the distance (which you get from the radar); I figured the radar ranging used this data. It sounds like the computer is using the range to get the hypotenuse and the QFE to get the Y component, and from there figuring the X component. Not the way I'd design the avionics...

Yeah, it seems the system is really based around the qfe settings.

My way of dealing with it online is adding/subtracting the difference of starting airfield alt to the target altitude. Low starting airfield to higher target you subtract from 0 at the airfield and if you're higher than the target add to zero.

example: starting altitude is 10 meters and the target is at 40 meters. There's a 30 meter difference and you're lower so you subtract the difference. Set your qfe on the airfield for -30 meters.

I haven't much experience, yet, with this aircraft. But I got the impression from the RL manuals that radar ranging should play an important role, too. From what I gathered, some delivery procedures make use of the radar ranging (i.e. those where you actually dive, like ANF BOMB DYKE). The delivery procedure is performed in several phases where the first requires a good QFE setting for the initial alignment, but then switches to radar ranging for precission. Iirc, radar ranging is active when the small vertical bar (the "fin") is displayed on the HUD.

Edited by Flagrum

I understand that radar ranging is used, but when I mess with the qfe setting before using dive bombing I totally miss the target. I'd like to know how the radar ranging gets used as well. It seems to even affect the maverick impact points. Is this correct?

My way of dealing with it online is adding/subtracting the difference of starting airfield alt to the target altitude. Low starting airfield to higher target you subtract from 0 at the airfield and if you're higher than the target add to zero.

example: starting altitude is 10 meters and the target is at 40 meters. There's a 30 meter difference and you're lower so you subtract the difference. Set your qfe on the airfield for -30 meters.

There is a method. Do a quick search, I remember reading or seeing it and it was well explained.

As I recall you divide the difference in altitudes by 9.3 then add the result to the QNH to get an approximate QFE for the target.

Sorry can't find the link at the moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Also, while CCIP uses QFE, the vertical component of the bomb triangle is not as critical for high drag as it is for low drag because the retarded drop makes for a near-vertical trajectory regardless of altitude (unlike the parabolic drop of low drag bombs).

One important factor here that I neglected to consider is that the faster you are going, the more the parabola factors in to the drop pattern. The QFE is more important here because at high speed and low altitude, the bombs will spend more time in a parabolic arc than they will in a vertical descent. It's still better than freefall bombs, but I dropped at 50m at M.95 the other night (to avoid AAA) and ended up dropping long. The QFE was estimated because the targets were on a hill, but there you have it.