Spitfire IX - Snapping those wings off

No simulation can ever be perfect, computers are not real planes. So ultimately this all comes down to how you want your simulation to be flawed ... because it's flawed whatever you do. Some people favour simply ignoring anything that cannot be simulated directly, to them this is "most realistic". Others favour realistic outcomes, and believe in having mechanisms to help compensate for the things that cannot be simulated directly.

I clearly fall into the later camp. What I care about is getting as realistic a portrayal of WWII air-combat as possible. The current situation we have online with Spitfire pilots constantly snapping the wings off is not at all a realistic portrayal of WWII air-combat ... so I'd like to add mechanisms to make it more realistic. However, other people don't like this idea *shrugs*.

A little OT but wouldn't that only change the way the center feels?

That wouldn't change your throw of the stick and therefore not help sensitivity right?

the short extensions increases your precision by overcoming and reducing the return spring. as they don't increase throw that much.

so you can get most of the effect of a short extension by just removing the spring.

which means most of the warthogs inaccuracy comes from you fighting the spring. rather than you not being able to make small enough movements.

it takes some getting used to but it really works in the huey.

which takes endless small corrections to fly.

and also flies best with no curves.

fixed my PIO..

why it has the option for sticks with no ffb and no springs :)

you still have the 4 small precision springs giving you some return force. so the stick is not completely floppy...

it will still guide you back to centre.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

No simulation can ever be perfect, computers are not real planes. So ultimately this all comes down to how you want your simulation to be flawed ... because it's flawed whatever you do. Some people favour simply ignoring anything that cannot be simulated directly, to them this is "most realistic". Others favour realistic outcomes, and believe in having mechanisms to help compensate for the things that cannot be simulated directly.

I clearly fall into the later camp. What I care about is getting as realistic a portrayal of WWII air-combat as possible. The current situation we have online with Spitfire pilots constantly snapping the wings off is not at all a realistic portrayal of WWII air-combat ... so I'd like to add mechanisms to make it more realistic. However, other people don't like this idea *shrugs*.

Maybe the virtual pilot must undergo the same training as RL pilots do before playing or asking stupid things.. as we all do :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I too fall into that category, however I don't think that it applies here. For example, there is no way to simulate accurately the vision a real pilot would have when looking out of his cockpit. (See: Model Visibility Discussion) You can't train to see enemy airplanes better if there is a limit to what can be rendered on our computer screens. This is why labels are perfectly justified, and why so many are asking for other less "intrusive" visual aids to be implemented in the rendering engine.

In this case however, you absolutely can train (or set curves and train etc.) to prevent yourself from ever breaking your wings, and in the process become a better virtual pilot.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Maybe the virtual pilot must undergo the same training as RL pilots do before playing or asking stupid things.. as we all do :)

Lol, you misunderstand the source of my criticism. I mostly fly the P-51 and Dora, and my criticism comes from watching Spitfires constantly die to wing breakages. Especially as a Dora pilot where a full 50% of my "kills" are Spitfires that have just overdone it and snapped the wings off.

In this case however, you absolutely can train (or set curves and train etc.) to prevent yourself from ever breaking your wings, and in the process become a better virtual pilot.

No doubt you can, but it gets hard to sell the value of DCS to pilots I fly with in other WWII flight sims. They argue that multiplayer WWII combat in DCS more closely resembles a circus exhibit than a WWII combat situation ... with planes flying round with one wing, wings falling off left right and centre, propeller governors the size of the whole aircraft and various other things. It's hard to do much but agree ... which is a shame because DCS has some really awesome things about it.

Edited by Tomsk

You may be right, but DCS has the potential to become perfect in every aspect once the damage model is done, other so called sims not so much.. They will remain light years behind. Imagine the best flight model plus the best damage model in DCS 3.0.. What will YOU do then?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

You may be right, but DCS has the potential to become perfect in every aspect once the damage model is done, other so called sims not so much.. They will remain light years behind. Imagine the best flight model plus the best damage model in DCS 3.0.. What will YOU do then?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

err... what kind of argument is that? :huh:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE to the OP.

I have now adde a 7.5cm extention to my Warthog. The result is being able to increase my saturation on the pitch back up to around 35 (up from 22).

It's far, far easier to control and fly these aircraft with a longer stick lever.

Gunnery is much more precise too.... I''ve already noticed an improvement in my flying after about 15 minutes in the air.

btw: I bought my extension from Milan, at MFG (the guy who makes the Crosswind Rudder Pedals).

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

UPDATE to the OP.

I have now adde a 7.5cm extention to my Warthog. The result is being able to increase my saturation on the pitch back up to around 35 (up from 22).

It's far, far easier to control and fly these aircraft with a longer stick lever.

Gunnery is much more precise too.... I''ve already noticed an improvement in my flying after about 15 minutes in the air.

btw: I bought my extension from Milan, at MFG (the guy who makes the Crosswind Rudder Pedals).

Ha ha. I just ordered my 7.5 cm extension from him as well. Minutes ago.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth