Waypoint NAV creation tutorial?

GazAce

Hey there good Pilots

I was wondering if there is any info out there in the ether about creating Waypoints. I know on page 458 of the manual there is but when I read that, it raised more questions than answers. Maybe someone here can clarify... it says in point form 1. Enter the elevation of the new waypoint in feet using the keypads/scratchpad and press the LSK next to the elevation field (EL) Then it says to enter the longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates and then create a name for your Wayount. My question is simply, how and where do I find out these details, elevation, longitude and latitude? I wish to create a route of about say 10 waypoints, so where do I start? I'm hoping there is some tutorial or guide to help me do this. It would be great if DCS had a detailed Navigation one in their training missions for the A-10C. So, if anyone could chime in with something, that'd be awesome, cheers. G :)

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

There is an indepth guide on youtube about cdu. I think its one of recon stewarts playlists, or maybe one of bunyapsims im not sure.

About your question, i know 3 different ways to do that, first one is to use your aircrafts sensors to create a spi after doing that you should be able to see coordinates info both on your tgp and tad.

Cdu sets ground elevation for you if you enter coordinates first.

Second one is, you can create a mark point on your spi s location and copy its nav info to your new waypoint or just use these mark points for navigation.

Third one is, you can use f10 map, choose your waypoints on it and if you move your mouse cursor on these points, you should see the coordinates data on bottom right corner.

I use the second method but i dont copy them to new waypoints instead i name them properly and use them like waypoints if i need it.

Edit: you can enter coordinates in two different styles, i prefer mgrs. It looks something like this 38T LM 56743 23789

Edit: Here is the playlist

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by kylekatarn720

This is covered (and more) in the basic training dlc from maple flag, mission 10 I believe. I had to play this one a few times to pass it, but I did learn a fair bit about waypoints and how they work in the cdu..

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Thanks very much kylekatarn720, that's awesome to know and I'll give it a try. And thanks for the tip mastersetter, appreciate it.

Cheers fellas! G :o)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉