FOLS Question

Destroyer37

Will the FLOLS, OLS, or IFLOLS be adjustable for the specific aircraft on the Forrestal Carriers?

Edited by Destroyer37

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I don't think they do adjust? Going off a basic PAPI or VASI they are all designed for a 3.0 glideslope. I'd assume it's somewhat the same.

Each aircraft trapping on the carrier has its own setting for the pilots head position relative to the hook location (Hook-to-Eye).

Something like a foot high 'path' that the pilots head needs to travel down to catch the third wire in the Tomcat for example - this OLS glideslope alignment obviously would not be exactly the same in say an E-2C.

See para 4.2.8 in link - http://www.navyair.com/LSO_NATOPS_Manual.pdf

I believe this is what the OP is asking? I can only assume this will be done automatically by the sim for each aircraft type?

Edited by VampireNZ
Grammar...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Each aircraft trapping on the carrier has its own setting relative to the pilots head position relative to the hook location (Hook-to-Eye).

Something like a foot high 'path' that the pilots head needs to travel down to catch the third? wire in the tomcat for example - this OLS glideslope alignment obviously would not be exactly the same in say a E-2C.

See para 4.2.8 in link - http://www.navyair.com/LSO_NATOPS_Manual.pdf

I believe this is what the OP is asking? I can only assume this will be done automatically by the sim for each aircraft type?

Exactly my question. Thanks for finding that I've been looking for a source for the last twenty minutes!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I dunno if it would do it automatically. The F-5 has an adjustable seat, and now that I think on it I don't know if there is a way to set a specific seat position in it.

Interesting stuff!!

This really isn't a seat issue, it's an issue of Hook to Ramp clearance over the stern between different aircraft. Longer aircraft will need a different glide slope ratio than shorter to maintain hook to ramp clearance in order to facilitate the capture of the ideal wire. And in order to do that correctly and IRL PRIFLY sets the lens to the appropriate angle for the specific aircraft shooting the approach. The same question could be asked about the tension on the wires. A heavier aircraft needs more tension or resistance where a lighter aircraft needs less.

Specs:

This really isn't a seat issue, it's an issue of Hook to Ramp clearance over the stern between different aircraft. Longer aircraft will need a different glide slope ratio than shorter to maintain hook to ramp clearance in order to facilitate the capture of the ideal wire. And in order to do that correctly and IRL PRIFLY sets the lens to the appropriate angle for the specific aircraft shooting the approach. The same question could be asked about the tension on the wires. A heavier aircraft needs more tension or resistance where a lighter aircraft needs less.

Same as the catapult needs a different steam pressure to launch the aircraft based on the aircraft's weight and flying speed.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Lens angle also depends on wind conditions (WOD).

Best option IMO would be to let the mission builder decide the base GP angle using the ME.

Ideal option would be to have an LSO view and allow for the LSO to change it live on a multiplayer session (maybe even MOVLAS but that's probably asking for too much)

Lens angle also depends on wind conditions (WOD).

Best option IMO would be to let the mission builder decide the base GP angle using the ME.

Ideal option would be to have an LSO view and allow for the LSO to change it live on a multiplayer session (maybe even MOVLAS but that's probably asking for too much)

I think it should all be automated. Most of the math is based around the relationship of right triangles. So It's not very computationally taxing.

I'm not sure most people would have the practical knowledge to setup a FLOLS system which would simulate a realistic and safe approach. For instance, the Saratoga can't safely land aircraft using a 3 degree glide slope, while her sister ship the Ranger is cleared to, and that's just based on the hook touchdown point. Once you get into computing base angle vs effective glide slope and hook to ramp clearance; my faith in peoples ablity to calibrate the system correctly is nil.

Also even if you had a virtual LSO station, most of the changes to base angle, hook tuchdown point and roll angle (hook to eye) are not done at the LSO station but in Pri Fly by the Air Boss.

• Like 1

I think it should all be automated. Most of the math is based around the relationship of right triangles. So It's not very computationally taxing.

I'm not sure most people would have the practical knowledge to setup a FLOLS system which would simulate a realistic and safe approach. For instance, the Saratoga can't safely land aircraft using a 3 degree glide slope, while her sister ship the Ranger is cleared to, and that's just based on the hook touchdown point. Once you get into computing base angle vs effective glide slope and hook to ramp clearance; my faith in peoples ablity to calibrate the system correctly is nil.

Also even if you had a virtual LSO station, most of the changes to base angle, hook tuchdown point and roll angle (hook to eye) are not done at the LSO station but in Pri Fly by the Air Boss.

Correct on all accounts!

Specs:

• 2 weeks later...
This brings up a related question. Has Heatblur stated that they will model both the 5-light FLOLS and the 12-light IFLOLS? The difference in precision while on the ball is significant.

I imagine they will be using whatever system is fitted to the Forrestal class of carrier.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I imagine they will be using whatever system is fitted to the Forrestal class of carrier.

this.

also based on the time period. Im not sure when forestals retired and if/when they had their IFLOLS updated. so whatever is period appropriate is what we will likely see

Per wikipedia, IFLOLS was first tested on CVN-73 in 1997 and became standard in 2004.

The last Forrestal-class carrier decommissioned was the Independence in 1998.

so we shouldnt be getting an optical landing system at all?

We will get an optical landing system in some shape or form. Whatever is accurate to the Forrestal class being developed. Either the earlier mirror landing aid/MLS, with light being reflected off of a mirror from lights at the aft of the ship; the FLOLS - which replaces the mirror and lights at the aft of the ship with fresnel lenses; or the IFLOLS which is again a later improvement.

I'm guessing, like what probad said that we'll likely get FLOLS obviously whatever is accurate to the Forrestal class being developed.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.