Air intake position

Hey,

I'd like to ask if there are any plans to model the movement of the F-15's air intake position correctly?

I have been away from flight sims for over 10 years, and recently returned only to see that in flight, the DCS F-15's intakes only move based on AOA and not based on air speed, as they should.

I already complained about this on the Lock On forums back in 2004, and it seems this is still unresolved. It may be due to my OCD, but this annoys me so much I don't fly the F-15 in DCS because of it :(

You can clearly see on any RL picture of an F-15 in flight that the intake ramps points downwards, and don't stay locked open all the time.

I couldn't find the original picture I linked, which I found on SimHQ, but following link points to a post that describes the ramp/bypass position:

http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/technology/engines/100-air-inlets

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Elysian Angel
typo
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The internal ramps that slow down supersonic airflow to get it subsonic before hitting the compressor fans do not have animations.

The external intake/ramp, labelled "ramp 1" in the diagram in the article you link, behaves as the article says it should.

On the ground with engines off it's up, on the ground with engines on it's down, and in flight it tries to remain parallel to the airflow, ie. maintain a 0 degree AoA.

Do you have any documentation describing that details of what you think is wrong with the model in DCS?

You complain that it is not right in the sim, and then you link supporting evidence (though not a primary source so probably not good enough for ED/Belsimtek) that indicates that the sim is right.

If you want a change to the external ramp animation, or for the internal ramps to get an animation, I think perhaps you need to state more clearly exactly what you want changed.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

after landing, as the eagle is taxiing, the ramps are "up"

i believe they should be down ----- they should be fully down on approach, then at weight-on-wheels they should then be commanded to remain fully down

that's my understanding

--

also, in MP outside observers see ramps "up" - but the player sees his own ramps down

(if i recall correctly)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

state more clearly exactly what you want changed.

The external ramps, which as I stated, are not fully opened during flight, which you can clearly see on literally every picture of an F-15 mid-flight. In-game, they are locked fully open.

Since there are numerous posts about this issue already I thought it would be pretty clear what this is about. The people in my squadron instantly know what I meant at least...

A few examples:

f-15-eagle-series-standalone-version-04-alpha-3_4.jpg

thumb-1920-109177.jpg

F-15E_Strike_Eagle_banks_away_from_a_tanker.jpg

144th_FW_F-15_Eagle.JPG

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Ah, well I didn't test in MP.

For what it's worth, I think it'd be cool if they made it work for all player controlled planes in MP and not just the local client's plane.

Flying formation when it looks like you're the only one that doesn't have hydraulic failure (or ramps in emergency mode) would definitely be weird.

I doubt they'll make an announcement about any plans they do/don't have for it. The little cosmetic fixes tend to just appear with no warning in the change log notes whenever they get around to them.

If you can get a lot of people to mention it where ED/Belsimtek see it I suppose maybe that increases the chance that it gets addressed at some point.

We can hope anyway.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

these photos are not evidence of anything, since they contain no information regarding the aoa and airspeed for the shot. i think you ought to present written information on ramp scheduling, otherwise we're just messing around playing eyeball physics.

Edited by probad

these photos are not evidence of anything, since they contain no information regarding the aoa and airspeed for the shot. i think you ought to present written information on ramp scheduling, otherwise we're just messing around playing eyeball physics.

Technically we're talking about the cowl rotation angle. The inlet ramps are the devices that change the inlet's internal geometry. This graphic should help describe the general operating principles.

gZYTyfY.png

• 5 weeks later...

As I understand it, the F-15 in DCS is not a high fidelity module like the fully interactive aircraft in the game. There are limitations as to what can be done. We can only hope we get to see the Flaming Cliffs aircraft become as fully realized as the other aircraft in DCS.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...