DCS Menu Nav

JLX

DCS Menu Nav  

234 members have voted

1. 1. DCS Menu Nav

• VERY - As a heavy HOTAS and/or VR user, this would be a big help!
    • KINDA - It'd be nice to have but not that big of a deal.
    • NOT AT ALL - Don't really see the need for anything beyond what we already have.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161966&stc=1&d=1494474257

The "O" in HOTAS stands for ON. But, navigating the DCS Radio/Comm menu requires you to take your hands OFF the stick (especially inconvenient in VR) to either:

• Use the F1-F12 keys on the keyboard, or
  • Reach for your mouse and click on the entry

There are no internal DCS hotkey entries for navigating the radio menu and F1-12 are also used for changing views, making common workarounds cumbersome and often needing 12 button assignments. If you're not a fan of talking to your computer (e.g. Voice Attack) then perhaps this utility will be of help to you.

DCS Menu Nav is a simple program that generates F-Key presses with onscreen and audible indicators to help you navigate the radio/comm menu with your joystick. Needing only 4 hotkeys that you can assign to a single hat switch, it makes menu operations in DCS much easier for HOTAS users.

Hopefully, in the future these hotkeys will be added directly into DCS and this utility won't be needed. Until then, it get's the job done.

WHAT'S NEW?

Audio cues have been added to v1.2. They are on by default but can be disabled in the INI.

As the overlay doesn't appear in VR (only tested with Vive), the new audio cues should be a good (perhaps better?) alternative to the on-screen indicator when in VR.

CHANGE LOG

1.0 ( 2017.05.10 )

• Initial Version

1.1 ( 2017.06.12 )

• Autohide after timeout interval (in milliseconds) 0 = Disabled
  • Selector hides automatically when F12 (Exit) menu option selected.

1.2 ( 2017.12.08 )

• Audio cues added to address overlay not showing in VR.
  • No longer sends F12 (to close DCS comm menu) when indicator is hidden as if not in sync, it can send an unwanted F12 view change.

Please check out the included READ ME for more details.

I'll post any updates to this thread. So subscribe to it if you want to be notified.

Download v1.2 here

1130463661_DCSMenuNav.thumb.png.695dfa7ca25a87c186e7855e458a69d1.png

Edited by JLX
Update to version 1.2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Very good!!

Any chance for a modification of this so each final command can be assigned to an individual joystick button?

I know is the complete opposite ut maybe is not difficult.

My aim is to have virtual joystick buttons that are assigned to final commands and those buttons (single virtual buttons) be activated by voice commands.

So people could put some or all commands to voice commands but without the complete hassle the current menu navigation is.

So if I just want the commands for ground crew and 1st wingman to be on voice commands it would be easiest.

Thank you!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Very good!!

Any chance for a modification of this so each final command can be assigned to an individual joystick button?

I know is the complete opposite ut maybe is not difficult.

My aim is to have virtual joystick buttons that are assigned to final commands and those buttons (single virtual buttons) be activated by voice commands.

So people could put some or all commands to voice commands but without the complete hassle the current menu navigation is.

So if I just want the commands for ground crew and 1st wingman to be on voice commands it would be easiest.

Thank you!

Hi @zaelu,

Are you using Voice Attack for your voice recognition? If so, what you want to do is already possible and quite easy to do.

If you're not familiar with setting it up,

might help. Or, you may want to check out something like VIACOM if you haven't already and want something more full featured.

If you're not using Voice Attack (Highly recommended and worth every penny) and just want to map a sequence of key-presses to a single joystick button as you mentioned. You could use AutoHotKey (Also excellent and what I used to make my utility). What you want to do could be done in AHK with a single line. For example:

Joy2::SendInput, \{F1}{F2}{F3}...

I made DCS Menu Nav to be:

• Quick & simple to setup and use.
  • Be general purpose and not require "knowledge" of the existing menu structure. This is so it will work even with custom/unknown menu items that a mission designer might insert or if the menus change in a future version of DCS.
  • Can be easily activated/deactivated on the fly so the F-Keys don't trigger view changes by accident.
  • Has an on-screen visual aid.
  • Only need a single 4-way hat switch rather than a separate button for each F-Key.
  • Doesn't require voice (for those late night flights ;-)

I couldn't find a good solution for these requirements which is why I rolled my own. But, for what you are trying to achieve, I think you may be best served by Voice Attack.

Hope that helps!

Edited by JLX

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Tnx for the kudos, guys. Glad to see there are a few out there who can benefit from this as well.

@Sgt_Baker: Good idea. I assume that anyone who is very HOTAS focused (and thus a likely candidate to use DCS Menu Nav) would already be familiar with modifiers.

However, for anyone who is not familiar with modifiers, I highly encourage you to look into them as they vastly increase the utility of your HOTAS. I use 4 modifiers myself but even using just one will double your available buttons.

MODIFIERS (From pg.24 of the DCS User Manual)

Modifiers usually use a key or button combination with Shift, Ctrl, or Alt (by default) or any custom keys assigned to act as a modifier. For example, you can assign any joystick button as a modifier and use it to expand the available joystick’s commands that can be assigned to your input device (i.e. Ctrl + T).

By default, several Modifiers are included in the Modifiers window: LALT, LCTRL, LSHIFT, MOUSE_BTN_3, RALT, RCTRL, RSHIFT, and RWIN. However, by pressing the ADD button below the Modifiers list window, you can also create your own.

From the ADD MODIFIER panel, first select the device you wish to set the modifier from. This could range from a keyboard, to a mouse, to a joystick or a throttle. Once the device is defined, select the specific key or button on the device from the Select Modifier Button field. Once complete, press the OK button to save your new Modifier and it will be displayed in the Modifier list window.

To remove a modifier, select it from the window and then press the REMOVE button. With at least one modifier in the list, you can now assign a modifier to any Action from the Add Assignment Panel.

I'll add a blurb to the included READ ME too.

Edited by JLX
  • Like 1

Hi guys! I have problem with this mod! Cannot make it work! So as I see in INI file buttons are perfect for (warhog) stick buttons with break leaver as modifier right? I extracted those 4 files in certain directoy (not DCS one). Now before launching dcs i launch script, then in game i put on commm menu but then nothing...:( joystick buttons do nothing with menu? Have I missed smth? BTW I am using CV1 if it does matter!

Edited by Verde

Hi guys! I have problem with this mod! Cannot make it work! So as I see in INI file buttons are perfect for (warhog) stick buttons with break leaver as modifier right? I extracted those 4 files in certain directoy (not DCS one). Now before launching dcs i launch script, then in game i put on commm menu but then nothing...:( joystick buttons do nothing with menu? Have I missed smth?

Hi Verde,

DCS Menu Nav doesn't automatically become visible when you activate the comm menu. It becomes visible when you press the joystick button combo that you set in the INI file (BtnToggle + any modifiers).

If you'd like them to toggle on/off together (which is very handy) you need to set the Toggle action button (and any modifiers) in the INI file to the SAME BUTTONS assigned to the radio trigger (or comm menu) in DCS. If you look in the READ ME file, you'll see I mention this under the TIPS section.

That said, if they are set differently to what is set it DCS, that's ok too. But you need to use the buttons set in the INI toggle it on/off manually after activating the comm menu as you usually do.

If that is still not working (as you mentioned) then perhaps the default modifier (button 4) is NOT the brake lever but the "pinky" button. I use a CH Combatstick and don't have access to a Warthog stick. So, I can't confirm which button is #4 on the Warthog (perhaps one of you Warthog owners can help here?) But, from pics I'd seen online, it looked like the button mapping is similar on both sticks which would make button #4 = pinky.

At any rate, please double check the button assignments, set them to what you prefer, and try again.

If you have any more trouble. Please post again and I'll try and help you out further.

Good luck!

• Like 1

no luck so far:( checked buttons they are ok, hmm i ve got pedals throttle and joystick maybe i gotta use joy number 2 or 3? Anybody else with issue?

Yes, unless the joystick is your default device, you'll need to use a prefix.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great program, should be default DCS behavior. Small feature request(s):

1. A timeout when no input is given for X seconds to cancel the display with no key output.

2. When "F12" option is selected, hide the display after issuing the F12 key.

This should go a long way to minimizing the annoyances of out-of-sync menu and game.

1. A timeout when no input is given for X seconds to cancel the display with no key output.

This should go a long way to minimizing the annoyances of out-of-sync menu and game.

Thanks for the feedback Frederf - they're good suggestions. I'll add both of those and post and update when it's ready.

Edit: Are you aware that toggling the indicator off presses the F12 key for you? So, rather than scroll to the F12 EXIT option in the menu, just toggle the indicator off and it will hide the DCS menu automatically for you. This is even quicker than manually scrolling to F12 to exit the menu. Just a FYI in case you weren't aware.

Edited by JLX
  • Like 1

I've posted version 1.1 (download link updated in original post) with the suggested changes. You can adjust or disable the timeout in the INI.

Edited by JLX

JLX,

I'm also having an issue of not being able to get this to work. It definitely would help while using the Rift. I'm also using the TM Warthog, and have set the 4 buttons to the COMMS hat on the throttle:

[buttons]

BtnToggle = Joy4

BtnItemUp = Joy3

BtnItemDn = Joy5

BtnSelect = Joy6

I can't get it to show, though. I've only tried with the F-5, since that's where I most need it for engine startup with the external air. I have the UHF Keypress button in DCS also set for Joy4, as per your tip in the readme.

The only thing that I can think is the joystick number. I'll double check in DCS, however, I do believe it's "Keyboard" / "Warthog Joystick" / "Warthog Throttle" in that order, so should I be setting the ini to 3Joy4 or 2Joy4?

I hope you can help :helpsmilie:

• Like 1

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

JLX,

I'm also having an issue of not being able to get this to work. It definitely would help while using the Rift. I'm also using the TM Warthog, and have set the 4 buttons to the COMMS hat on the throttle:

[buttons]

BtnToggle = Joy4

BtnItemUp = Joy3

BtnItemDn = Joy5

BtnSelect = Joy6

I can't get it to show, though. I've only tried with the F-5, since that's where I most need it for engine startup with the external air. I have the UHF Keypress button in DCS also set for Joy4, as per your tip in the readme.

The only thing that I can think is the joystick number. I'll double check in DCS, however, I do believe it's "Keyboard" / "Warthog Joystick" / "Warthog Throttle" in that order, so should I be setting the ini to 3Joy4 or 2Joy4?

I hope you can help :helpsmilie:

Hey hog_driver111th,

If you're using prefixes to specify the joystick, please remember to check and make sure the modifiers (if you use any) are correct too. You may have changed the prefix on the buttons but forgotten to change the one the modifier?

If you're still having trouble getting the stick recognized. Check to see if you've setup a preferred default in Windows. Try setting it to your TMW and then just use the default joystick (i.e. no prefix number) in DCS Menu Nav. You can see my test setup as an example below.

Please let me know if this works for you. If so, I'll add a little blurb in the original post in case others run into the same issue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164508&stc=1&d=1497913571

[buttons]
BtnToggle = Joy10
BtnItemUp = Joy7
BtnItemDn = Joy9
BtnSelect = Joy8

[Modifiers]
BtnMod1 = Joy4
BtnMod2 = 
BtnMod3 = 
BtnMod4 =

JoystickDefault.gif.4007c69638c90a1011fa8330cbfdcaba.gif

I went ahead and set the throttle as the default controller, and it does recognize F12 when pushing the button, but the selector doesn't show in the sim, nor am I able to select the menu functions. I am not using any modifiers to keep it simple with the button press.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Another brilliant add on!

Thank you!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea!!

But unfortunately I can't get it to work....

I have 5 game controllers (MSFF2 as my default device, 2 MFD's, pedals and CH throttle)

I could never get it to show up / toggle the menu let alone press anything...

It looks simple enough - but it's not... for me anyway. and for some others I see around here...

Wish you could simplify/automate the setup a bit further.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Callsign   SETUP

a good approach ... but VoiceAttack , vocal software do it very well

and quickly

with a bit more for realism in flight

when customised with each player approach.

Edited by JallieFR
  • Like 1

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

GOT IT! :)

After some more time of trial and error - I got it to work...:doh:

Great idea!!

But unfortunately I can't get it to work....

I have 5 game controllers (MSFF2 as my default device, 2 MFD's, pedals and CH throttle)

I could never get it to show up / toggle the menu let alone press anything...

It looks simple enough - but it's not... for me anyway. and for some others I see around here...

Wish you could simplify/automate the setup a bit further.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Callsign   SETUP

After some more time of trial and error - I got it to work...:doh:

Hey ron533,

How did you resolve the issue? Perhaps your solution could help others. Was the problem that you weren't using the correct prefixes or was something else amiss that you figured out?

As a few ppl with multiple controllers have had trouble with the config, presumably because it's not obvious which deviceID a particular controller is using. I'm going to simplify the setup by adding device/button detection when I get some free time. Hopefully this will help.

As usual I'll post here when it's ready.

Cheers.

• Like 3