Tips on how to IFF in MP?

fishbed

Hello all,

I'm having a blast flying this bird, I've played mostly SP and in these last few days I've tried spending some time playing multiplayer on the 104th server.

The question is: how do you guys know if a contact is a bandit or fiendly since the F-5 lacks an IFF interrogator?

I'm so scared to shoot down a friendly that I have yet to fire any missile, each time getting close enough to have a visual only to get killed a second later.

Reading around in the forum it seems to me that there are ways to IFF a contact without an IFF interrogator:

- F10 and check if any friendlies are nearby: can't be used on the 104th since contacts are not shown on the map (right?)

- visual contact and check if plane is of other faction: can't be used on the 104th since planes are mixed between RED and BLUE

- call raygun on TS: seems a little strange to me to have to call raygun on TS each time I lock a contact...I think It would get soon very annoying to everybody else having me shouting raygun each time

generally speaking, my SA is very bad :(

how do you guys "IFF" while flying MP in the F-5? Tips?

Play on severs that allow friendly fog of war. Visual ID is the only way to iff interrogate on the 104th in the F5. Or use the F5 as ground attack and leave the a/a stuff to the planes with the good equipment.

For the 104th, get on Teamspeak. From what I've seen the F5 is a really useful little plane when directed by a human GCI. Also helps with IFF :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Play on severs that allow friendly fog of war

This is what I'm gonna try tonight :joystick:

For the 104th, get on Teamspeak

I tried, I don't know what to say or what to listen to. Probably me not having any SA doesn't help it.

F5 is a really useful little plane when directed by a human GCI.

Seems like GCI has been disabled on the 104th. Looking forward to when it's back on, I would really like to see how it all works!

you can suss out a guy's faction if you watch his behavior, look for which direction he seems to pay more attention to for example

learn your paints, even though 104th has same aircraft for both parties, they have different paint jobs. yes you'll have to get close to see something like the tail paint for the f-15, but since you're choosing to fly an f-5 in the first place, you're already committed to working for your kills.

you can also abuse slmod kill announcements and thirdparty on engagements

I tried, I don't know what to say or what to listen to. Probably me not having any SA doesn't help it.

and sa isn't something you're just born with, it can be improved, if you want to improve.

Edited by probad

Shoot first, ask questions later, beg for forgiveness lol jk..kinda

Typically to get into a good killing position in the F5 you will be within visual range. Paints are probably the best way, or if you can, observe the other aircrafts movements, is it a hostile act? Keep ur finger on the trigger and if he fires you fire and defeat his missile as best you can. Frustrating, yes, but as with all things practice makes it better..you will get very good at defeating missiles in the F5 or you will stop flying it. One or the other will take place eventually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Besides everything that's been stated.

-Know the location of the enemies airbases. Determine their main flight path from their airfield to the 'hot spots'.

-Know the number player on the enemy team, and what they are flying. take this into account in both visual recognition, and electronic recognition via your RWR.

-Associate visually acquired missile shots with the kill log.

-Assume an ROE that requires multiple identification ques.

-Stick with an IFF equipped aircraft.

-Take the first punch, and use the enemies engagement to validate your own.

But as many have stated. communicate, communicate, communicate

Thank you guys for all the tips!

Today I went flying with the F-5 on the Open Conflict server. I had much fun and my first kill by taking down an F-15!

I started following a friendly M2000 while flying lower than him through the mountains when suddenly an F-15 shoot him down, he didn't notice me so I positioned myself behind him and I fired a missile and I got him.

learn your paints, even though 104th has same aircraft for both parties, they have different paint jobs.

Interesting, I will start paying attention to it :O

Learn the paints, at least in 104, ain't so easy F-15 in both sides are dull grey with USAF or IAF emblems depending the side, F-5 are both sides dull grey (which is a pity, having those awesome paintjobs), etc....npt sure about the rest but i think fishbeds are same, etc...

As they say, F-5 is quite good as an attack platform, pity that CBU has that tiny blast radius

• 1 month later...

It also helps on the 104th to read the mission briefs (am I the only one)...they do run a variety of missions. Some missions you'll find are traditional east vs west (no F-15's on REDFOR), some have GCI, or AWACS. All those play to your advantage.

Next, as stated before, get on TS. Tell people you're in an F-5 and new and learning. I'm still nervous like asking a girl for coffee when I get on their TS and ask for help. But I've never had a negative experience and everyone I've ever met there have been super helpful and inclusive. Much better success rate there than I ever was at getting dates....:megalol:

Your tactics with your F-15 kill are the type of things you'll be looking to employ. Ambush, clean ups, pop-ups, get in and get out, and other sneaky tactics all suit the F-5 on MP servers.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, I find the F-5 needs to stick to an environment where the two coalitions run different aircraft, unless you have a dedicated GCI giving you constant updates. In Blue Flag, things get really dicey when I see a Mirage. I usually have to wait for him to fire at me before I engage, which means I have little chance of victory. But, when faced with Flankers, I can usually VID before launch, so I have a better chance there. Colors play a huge role, as I can usually notice the blue of the Flanker before I can distinguish its shape from an F-15. Shape and color are probably the most useful, and depending on aspect and range, sometimes the flare pattern can be used as well (flares shooting up off the tail? Russian, shoot it).

IFF goes hand in hand with tactics. In order to get close enough to VID hostiles, you can't be going head to head 1v1 - they will always see/ID you first and be able to shoot you BVR. It's best to wait until there is a furball and then jump in when you can see who is shooting at whom. I'll try to grab the 1st person view of this as well - in the cockpit, can clearly see the first flanker and know it's enemy well before engaging. The second one was based on RWR.

o_Tel59cXFI

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure it applies, but if you have AWACS or EWR and a solid lock on target, open radio menu and there should be F6 option for DECLARE. This should in theory tell you that contact is hostile or friendly.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I am not sure it applies, but if you have AWACS or EWR and a solid lock on target, open radio menu and there should be F6 option for DECLARE. This should in theory tell you that contact is hostile or friendly.

It's not there for the F-5. Maybe an overlook or maybe intended, dunno.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

It's not there for the F-5. Maybe an overlook or maybe intended, dunno.

We might need to bring it up to EDs attention.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.