Free DCS World 1.5 question on the mission editor

I hope this is the correct forum to post:

I recently downloaded the free DCS World 1.5 to evaluate the mission editor in order to buy a module (Flaming Cliffs) if it is worth it.

I set up the Carl Vinson out west Abkhazia and noticed that this carrier is completely deserted and no possibilities to add anything on the deck. Is it a standard feature to the free version 1.56? (yes/no) ... and even with a module such as Flaming Cliffs? (yes/no)

On top of it, it is not possible to set up two AI airplanes to land on the deck (ONE AFTER THE OTHER). The first plane lands and parks (folds wings) but the second one orbits for ever and ejects when bingo fuel!

Is this a normal feature of this game? How do you set up landing and parking for more than ONE AI plane on the Carl Vinson carrier deck in quick succession?

Is it a standard feature to the free version 1.56? (yes/no) ... and even with a module such as Flaming Cliffs? (yes/no)

Thank you.

Edited by Tiq

There are currently no flyable NATO carrier aircraft in DCS. Flaming cliffs includes the Su-33 which can land on the Russian carrier. I really don't know if you can get A-I aircraft to land on the NATO carrier, I have never tried. However, I have landed choppers on it and find that one can fall through the deck in places and it seems to have issues with friction. If you had your heart set on a simulation of western naval aircraft, DCS is not what your looking for quite yet. However, ED are working on an FA-18 expected to launch this year, and third parties are working on an F-14 and AV-8 harrier, also expected this year. When these aircraft are launched, I expect that the carrier system in DCS will be upgraded to function properly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

I hope this is the correct forum to post:

I recently downloaded the free DCS World 1.5 to evaluate the mission editor in order to buy a module (Flaming Cliffs) if it is worth it.

I set up the Carl Vinson out west Abkhazia and noticed that this carrier is completely deserted and no possibilities to add anything on the deck. Is it a standard feature to the free version 1.56? (yes/no) ... and even with a module such as Flaming Cliffs? (yes/no)

Welcome to the DCS forums Tiq,

DCS World is in constant development, if you have flown in any of the other sims? You will quickly realize what DCS is all about and just how good the flight modlels (FMs) are, once you go for a flight in the Free Su-25T or the free TF-51D.

These modules alone are an absolute awesome free gift, that you feel bad to get for free once you get into them and could potential get months if not years of enjoyment even if you didnt buy anything else.

How To Setup Controls and Joystick

Flaming Cliffs is an awesome first module when getting started in DCS

Just dont expect it to be quick and easy tho, DCS really has the most accurate flight models on the PC, so it will take some time to get used to, take your time and have fun.

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If you are deciding whether or not to invest in DCS, then perhaps your best bet is to just hop in a plane and fly around a bit rather than mess with the ME. Go on line and take a peak at what's going on there.

I am very loyal to DCS and pretty much have tossed all other flight sims into file 13. I own all but 2 or three of the modules and cannot say enough good things about all of them.

But as any other game, sim, or anything else in life, there are some frustrating things about DCS. The Mission Editor is probably the second most frustrating thing about DCS. If you use it as a standard to rate DCS, then you are going to short yourself a lot of enjoyment. The Mission Editor has never worked 100% here. It has many many seemingly unsolvable issues that seem to plague it. And perhaps the most frustrating thing about it is that you never know when one feature will be working and another is not. I get so frustrated with it that I just don't bother any more. It's actually one of the few things that can sway me from flying DCS at times. I sit and think to myself "Lets go create a mission for the P-51" I go and create some super cool, realistic scenario, and it takes me a few hours because of the complexity of the M.E. and when I get into the actual mission, I have to spend two more hours altering this that or the other because those, these, and that doesn't work right. It's a complete shambles at times. Many people just get frustrated and don't bother.

The good side to it is that you can create a complete mission from the ground up with no template whatsoever. That's pretty unique and it attracted me to DCS. But what good is that feature if nothing in your mission goes to plan, or if the scenario never plays out right. I have had relatively simple missions involving multiple fighter groups from months ago that I still have yet to complete because I have to keep changing settings and test it. It's a real pain. When it finally does work, it's fantastic. But not worth the frustration to me much of the time.

If you are thinking about purchasing, I would say that you will never find a better sim for flight anywhere. It's certainly worth every last penny. But to judge whether your going to buy it on one of it's weakest links is (IMO) a huge mistake.

Just my 2 cents.........

Edited by Zimmerdylan