Model Enlargement - Does it do Anything More than the Obvious?

kronovan

Am I wrong to assume that the Model Enlargement choice on the [Gameplay] tab of the Options menu, only makes the visual 3D models look larger? I ask because I'm playing on a HDTV in my den a good 6 feet away from my 40" screen, so if the setting just enlarges the look of models it could be helpful. I don't want to go anywhere near that setting though, if it does other things like enlarge the hit bubble, ease sensor detection, or anything else that significantly makes things easier.

Hmm...well with over 60 views and no replies, I"m guessing this is a mystery setting, or possibly one that's not that effective. ;)

Anyhow...I did some more searching and found this earlier thread that discussed the setting when it only had the 3 options of "off", "normal" and "Enlarged". It now has the options of "off", "small", "medium" and "large". From what the other thread discusses, the effect only comes into play when models would only be 1 pixel in size on the screen; don't know it that's still the case, but apparently was then.

I'm currently running at 1600x900; mostly due to having to run my desktop at that resolution (can't comfortably read text otherwise) which causes DCSW's options menu [OK] button to be placed off-screen and not selectable when I set the resolution to 1920x1080. From what was discussed in that earlier thread, at the resolution I'm running at I'm unlikely to have this effect come into play unless objects are many nm away - possibly not much different than real life in my case. It does read like there's no effect on the difficulty to hit or detect aircraft/vehicles with sensors.

What I'm still wondering is if it has any effect on the A-10A's TVM display, because I'm having a heckuva time making out objects with it?

Edited by kronovan

Has there been any word from ED on when it's going to be fixed? As I stated above, I suspect it would have very little effect at the resolution I'm running at. But if the plan is to have it eventually effect the TVM display - hell yeah, that would benefit my game play.

To an extent I can live with the sighting limitation for modern theaters with all the sophisticated targeting that's available - gun on the A10-A is a real bitch though if you have to go up against airborne units. I can't imagine not having better visibility if playing in any WW II theater though. I currently play IL-2 CoD with all of the Team Fusion patches in place and I have far better visibility and don't have problems ID'ing aircraft at distance. Surely ED must be planning on fixing this before the release of their Normandy theater/map?

Agree, is not working, I tried it to use in the MIG-21 vs F-5 event, and noticed that the F-5 never changes with any enlargement model. I think is the worst case, because it transform from a single pixel to a visible aircraft only below 900 meters far

I just fired up the Alpha build to test model enlargement and I'm scratching my head trying to find the option. It was a drop down box under settings -> gameplay (and that is where it's still located in 1.5). Has it been completely removed from the Alpha (2.0) build?

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

I just fired up the Alpha build to test model enlargement and I'm scratching my head trying to find the option. It was a drop down box under settings -> gameplay (and that is where it's still located in 1.5). Has it been completely removed from the Alpha (2.0) build?

Yeah the option is not in 2.0

Yeah the option is not in 2.0

It used to be. Not sure when it was removed as I don't fly often on the Alpha build. Anyone know the story? Has model enlargement been permanently removed or just implemented some other way in 2.0?

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder