How are you supposed to learn this thing with these horrible training missions?

As the title reads...

Half of the time it doesnt even register me clicking anything... They are literally broken and there is no touches on how actually to take off, for example everytime i pull up the collective it does half a back flip and i can recover fine but as soon as i move the cyclic a tenth of a centimeter back it does the whole backflip thing again... kind of disappointed in these missions :(

Easy on the collective.

Also, click and hold the click for a half second or so. They don't always register when you click too quickly.

I agree, they could be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really say I share your experience at all, despite me only getting to the Ka-50 a few weeks back myself.

The training missions actually point out how sometimes you might have to hold a key for a short while for it to register properly. They say so in every mission. It never was much for an issue for me, really, only on one instant.

Other than that I found them to be pretty well done. They walk you through the procedures step by step and explain most things along the way, which unfortunately isn't true for all modules. The only 'complaint' I had was that the training missions assume the English cockpit, which is a little confusing when you get to the ABRIS and yours is in Russian.

About the backflip... well, I guess that can happen. I had the advantage of some experience with other types, but generally practice makes perfect. As lemoen said, go easy on the controls. Take your time for your takeoff, your turns and so on. Once you got a few take offs down, you will quickly find that the Ka-50 flies very easily indeed.

• Like 1

well, you do need to get to know the "feel" of the shark so that when you lift off you aren't doing somersaults in the air. same thing with the Huey TBH. Controlling this bad boy didn't really click for me though until I realized that the trimmer is actually a form of autopilot. Mindblown at that realization and kind of Changed Things for me. Now I feel quite comfortable controlling it although losing track of what autopilot aids are active can be a problem sometimes.

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

On my case, I found that the Tutorials available on YouTube were much more helpful to me on learning to fly this helicopter, this one was one of the best on basic flight:

CnCeiaq0mN8

Also, keep in mind that all helicopters really require some form of rudder pedals on your PC .. airplanes can get away without rudder input (except maybe the WW2 types), but on helos its essential.

Anyway, the Ka-50 requires lots of practice before being able to attain a good grasp of this ship, but believe me: its totally worth it :)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am also new to the Huey.. I got a FFB2 stick off e bay, because of the feel of it and Run it with a X52 throttle which I use only as the Collective. I set the Collective at about a -15 on the curve, inverted the commands and set the axis controls on my FFB2 pitch and roll both at about +25. I am sorry if I have the terminology wrong. I also got Saitek Pro pedals again from Ebay at a great price and use those.

I just finished putting my controller stand together per Rodger Dodger instructions and have modified it so I can leave my X52 mounted on it and use my X52Pro throttle and Stick combo on it to.. Being a newbie I am having problems with getting my bindings set as I am really not sure what exactly I need to set up.

I was trying the Huey before with just a 3d extreme stick, then the X52 pro but found a old video using the FFB2 and it looked and sound so much better... I like it better even though I have only got the basics of flying my Huey down. At least my crash and burn on landing is down form about 100% to about 50% and getting better.

MHgamer1107,

Be sure to grab Chuck's Tutorial guide on the Ka-50 HERE

Go through it and make sure your controls are setup correctly and nothing is conflicting.

It's a Great chopper, once you get to grips with it, especially the trimmer system.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks for the advice guys, I too have only just picked it up having played quite a bit with the Gazelle and to a lesser extent the Huey.

A very different beast!

I have been on the look out for some good tutorials and am just embarking on some basic flight practice, nav systems, etc before I attempt to learn the startup procedure. The Gazelle is as simple as a childs toy in comparision. :)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

I tried the training mission (never knew they updated this from the old video tracks). With my experience with the module I'll write comments as they occur to me during the mission.

I wish these training missions wouldn't get so hung up on the trigger input (which is clearly what the skip to next section is bound to) being space bar. It should tell you to use the trigger to advance to the next step and the first time remind you that by default space bar is bound to this function. This insistence to refer to the trigger input as "space bar" is trying to push water up a hill.

Reasonable so far. They should mention to press the EKRAN warning light twice to do the self-test. It doesn't do much except self-test and this is the abbreviated procedure so oh-well.

I always turn on the INU heat too.

You should NOT apply K-041 power this early. It won't work until operating RPM+ACGEN or ground power.

I think they have you release the rotor brake because they haven't put in the trigger properly to detect the APU RPM which is kind of sad.

Procedure has me open the cutoff lever immediately after initiating LENG start. I always wait until between 15-20% instead. In any case I press the start button first and then the cutoff lever open. Engines started fine.

I did it a 2nd time opening the cutoff lever before doing the other steps and it still worked. Maybe you clicked really, really briefly which the triggers sometimes miss.

I never uncage the standby ADI. It drifts stupidly quickly to the point it is useless. If I need it I'll uncage it after the emergency.

It wouldn't have killed them to mention that the auto position of the throttles is 2 "steps" up from the low position it starts in.

It's good to lower the ejection cover after flipping the 3 switches. I wish they would model an alternate interaction with the cover to turn off the 3 switches using the cover.

Beacon and other lights probably should have been turned on before the whirly death knives started turning.

Overall the procedures are functionally correct if not perfectly optimal. I didn't experience any trigger errors but they might happen with creative out-of-order switch flipping.

--

Tried the next mission. Quite a few mistakes and errors. The ADF doesn't do what he says. The BR switch position doesn't cause your HUD to show anything different like he says. Completely ignores mentioning the collective brake for capturing hold altitudes. Also the PVI-800 is just the interface panel. The actual navigation system is called PRK (if I remember right).

Tells you to climb to 325m and hold altitude but 325m altitude is underground and >300m radio height is off scale. He probably means 325m QFE baro height but that isn't set at the start. When he wrote this the game probably defaulted your baro to QFE for you or something.

Yeah, you have to set QFE and hit 325mQFE for it to advance. Why would you make the altitude target this tiny tiny constraint?!

No demonstration of DT?

As the title reads...

Half of the time it doesnt even register me clicking anything... They are literally broken and there is no touches on how actually to take off, for example everytime i pull up the collective it does half a back flip and i can recover fine but as soon as i move the cyclic a tenth of a centimeter back it does the whole backflip thing again... kind of disappointed in these missions :(

I agree. These training missions are really poor for a complete novice. I tried one or two of the missions today, and they are poor in comparison to others, e.g. A-10C or Mustang.

For someone who has never tried a helicopter before, there really is nothing about totally basic flight controls and techniques.

Have to rely on Youtube as usual.

Don't know how many times I had to restart the Cold Start training, as no matter what I did at times, the trigger event wouldn't happen in order to move on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As the title reads...

Also, check that you don't have axes bound to multiple devices. DCS loves to auto-assign those axes and keybinds. Check your callibration (Ctrl-Enter to see your stick positions), the KA is actually ridiculously stable with the channels activated.

Yes, many of the tutorials are incomplete, and painful to endure. There is no ability to control the pacing, no way to go back to a part in the middle or to get something just said repeated. You just have to put in your time. The stock campaigns can be helpful, Chuck's guides, and youtube.

Edited by smallberries

I never used those tutorials, for the reasons you mentioned.

Take your Laptop ( hope you have one ) and set it aside your PC, start YT on it with the video/lesson you wanna learn and follow the procedures on your PC.

If you dont have a laptop, do it in windowed mode on 1 screen, not as nice as 2 screens but also works

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

One of the biggest issues with these tutorials is that the instructions disappear quite quickly for a novice, and there is no way of getting the text to repeat. Therefore, there is no way to find out what you are trying to do, and a repeat of the whole thing is necessary.

I have no idea why the text disappears. Just leave it on screen until the action has been completed!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As the title reads...

You want to really learn the Ka-50, go look up Cooper on the Nevada 2.0 , the F99th server guys in MP.

He has the patience to teach anyone and he likes company.

I taught myself the Ka-50 mostly doing the missions on the 104th server in MP in 1.5. Actually it was then the 1.2 version. Took me about a year to get fairly good. Met Cooper later on the old Tasmanian S-77th server with Savage, he had a great server once-upon-a-time.

Cooper is the best Ka-50 pilot in game, bar none!!

I use the CH Products gear and Konkussion lent me his Control Manager controls programmed .map mapping I still use. Have not seen Konkussion on since the 2011 hurricane that drowned the USA east coast.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If Reaper_6 is still around, he is the best Ka Pilot I ever pesonally flew with..lightyears ahead.

I dont think I ever have the time to get full deatil into Abris, which honestly said you also dont need to enjoy and successfully operate the Ka in combat sceanrio, it just adds a lot of immersion to it and some things are helpfull indeed but not mandatory to accomplish the kills and fly home ;)

seasrch the forum for Reaper_6's training threads, worth the time

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I don't know if they still work but BigfootMSR made some very nice interactive training missions for BS2.

Here is the thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't know if they still work but BigfootMSR made some very nice interactive training missions for BS2.

Here is the thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

Thanks for that.

However, I am a little confused. These missions look like the same as those supplied with BS2.

What is the difference? Also, although they work OK, they don't appear on the Training menu as suggested in the readme. I just loaded them from Mission on the menu.

I can now confirm that the missions we have been talking about are the same ones mentioned in the post above by clclidfan.

They are the ones integrated into the game, sadly, as is confirmed in the linked post.

My apologies. I haven't looked the that module in quite some time. I did not realize that ED had incorporated the missions into the sim. :doh:

They looked pretty good when I used them as a mod.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah I used Bigfoots training missions as a mod as well and they were all great. Cool that they got to be part of the official module, good decision.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Yeah I used Bigfoots training missions as a mod as well and they were all great. Cool that they got to be part of the official module, good decision.

As you can see from previous comments here, they are not ideal for helicopter novices.

Issues are that they get stuck even though the trigger event has happened, and also, the text disappears quite quickly with no way of repeating it. That means that on quite complex instructions, the novice has to restart all over as he can't find all the controls or reach the objective in a few seconds. I honestly have no idea why the instructions cannot remain on screen until the event has been completed.