Do you also feel this is a problem when learning the BS2 ?

jfri

I have learned the A10C the P51 and now try to learn the BS2. One thing that makes it more difficult with the BS2 is the Russian language. With the A10C for example I understand the text at the switches and the messages given on the displays. This is not the case with the BS2 since all text is in Russian. When the tutorial tells me to turn on a switch I can no longer find it by reading the text beneath like with the A10C. How do you feel about it ? What did you do to overcome this difficulty ?

Luckily even if you keep the Russian language cockpit for authenticity, the tooltips are in English. That helps a lot in the beginning for the basic controls. I agree it is a little bit troublesome for things like ABRIS, though.

Are you really going to be reading tiny labels in the middle of combat though? I found learning the startup sequence with the russian cockpit was a great way to familiarise and learn the layout of the controls - chucks guides are great for this as they include diagrams of where all the relevant controls are. But the english cockpit does help :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Luckily even if you keep the Russian language cockpit for authenticity, the tooltips are in English. That helps a lot in the beginning for the basic controls. I agree it is a little bit troublesome for things like ABRIS, though.

I actually think it's more authentic to have the cockpit in a language you can read. The Russian pilots understand the labels and so should I.

But yeah, for the OP, this isn't a problem at all as everything can be set to english.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I learned the cockpits of the KA50 and Mig21 in english then at some point they got switched to Russian and I just left them. Once you know where the switches are and what they do you don't need to read the labels. Mirage and Viggen I just learned in French/Swedish.

I learned the cockpits of the KA50 and Mig21 in english then at some point they got switched to Russian and I just left them. Once you know where the switches are and what they do you don't need to read the labels. Mirage and Viggen I just learned in French/Swedish.

Yes, but it's getting to know/learn what the switches are that is the issue. Of course when learnt, it doesn't matter what the language is.

I agree with Boris, that it is more authentic to have the language in English for English speakers, as Russian pilots presumably didn't have to go to a language school to understand Russian, or to read the labels during their training!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Fair enough. Thankfully we can all select the cockpits we want and that's good. I agree it's mostly an issue in the familiarisation phase - later on, when you get into combat, you just know where things are. Well, at least for the common and important ones.

Are you really going to be reading tiny labels in the middle of combat though? I found learning the startup sequence with the russian cockpit was a great way to familiarise and learn the layout of the controls - chucks guides are great for this as they include diagrams of where all the relevant controls are. But the english cockpit does help :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

For now I'm not in combat but learning to start the chopper

I actually think it's more authentic to have the cockpit in a language you can read. The Russian pilots understand the labels and so should I.

But yeah, for the OP, this isn't a problem at all as everything can be set to english.

Well not everything is set to english the ABRIS display screen is still in russian although for now when starting the chopper it does not matter

The Mirage and Viggen would be interesting for me in this aspect. Swedish is my native language and I have studied french and know it to some extent

Well not everything is set to english the ABRIS display screen is still in russian although for now when starting the chopper it does not matter

Jasså? Inte för mej.

Have you set the cockpit language to English?

Or are you using a mod?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I have learned the A10C the P51 and now try to learn the BS2. One thing that makes it more difficult with the BS2 is the Russian language. With the A10C for example I understand the text at the switches and the messages given on the displays. This is not the case with the BS2 since all text is in Russian. When the tutorial tells me to turn on a switch I can no longer find it by reading the text beneath like with the A10C. How do you feel about it ? What did you do to overcome this difficulty ?

Me and many other here started flying the Black shark back when it was a stand alone, before DCS. When it was only released to the Russian market. The installation was interesting since I had no idea what any of the windows said. So I watch Wag's videos (repeatedly) on how to start the helicopter, how to use the systems and jump right in. Slowly I learn that I can't speak Russian no matter how much I tried ( :doh: even tried Rosetta stone), but I learn the Cyrillic alphabet and had fun with it. Eventually I realize that there where many easy worlds like Left, map, info, etc. So, how do I feel about it? I think it was challenging but fun and rewarding to learn to fly it and you should try it with all the aircraft. How did I overcome the difficulty? I had fun with friends, we all help each other and trial and error.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Strange then. My ABRIS is indeed in English, without any mods.

How did you do that? My ABRIS stays in Russian, no matter what setting I use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Yes have set cockpit language to English I think. Don't use a mod.

How did you do that? My ABRIS stays in Russian, no matter what setting I use.

Guys, go in to Settings --> Gameplay and make sure Avionics Language is set to English.

The go in to Settings --> Special --> Ka-50 and make sure Customized Cockpit is also set to English.

If both are, then set them to Native and Default respectively, save and close DCSW.

Start DCSW again and now set both to English, save and close DCSW again.

Next time you enter DCSW and the Ka-50 your ABRIS shall be in English.

It has been reported several times that when changing settings or after some game updates with changed behavior for a certain setting, one might need to change it, close, change back and close again for it to take effect.

I do not know if that is still the case for language settings (it was before), but worth a try.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Will any setting set the spoken language to English, like ATC, Support flights, Wingman. I hate having to read the subtitles while I am in combat. I hardly ever get online as I can not grasp the concept of flying in Sim mode as of yet. Kinda sad really, I've had Black Shark pretty much since the beginning....1.0.1 to this version. I'm trying to get to where I can fly in Sim mode, but having lots of problems just hovering. Maybe one day I will get the courage up to go online and make a complete fool of myself. Anyway, any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mb:ROG Strix GL10DH

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz SSD: Toshiba 1tb & Intel 1tb

RAM:CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB 3.0GHz DDR4

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Monitor: 40" UHD 4k TV

I'm trying to get to where I can fly in Sim mode, but having lots of problems just hovering.

Have you learned how to trim the BS? that is the key to hovering unaided, I think. The trimming system is very different to other aircraft and is not that easy to master.

As ever, there are YT videos to help on this,

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hovering in the Akula is fairly difficult at any experience level. The nose comes up a lot higher than is expected. The 50 km/h velocity HUD line is very helpful. Rudder and collective input changes a lot as the speed vanishes. When the line is < 10km/h length the best clue to hovering is looking out the window. The automatic hover has no chance to hover unless the pilot enters and holds a hover with 100% certainty before the button is pressed.

Overall the biggest tip I can offer is to hold your control input until the helicopter has fully settled to whatever change you input and then trim, especially when using the hold portion of the stability channels (aka "flight director" is not on). Trim is both the physical controls and the electronic values. They will not agree what the helicopter should do unless trim is done after both controls and helicopter are constant.

Practice sometimes in "FD" mode and sometimes normal to feel what holding function of stability channel feels like on and of. Always use all 3 stability channels.

Try both trimmer options. Original blends on trim press over a small time. Alternative is default and will lock up your controls under you center them. I think the first one is better, it teaches you to be smooth.

Automation is very important in Ka-50. It has 1 human pilot but think of the computer systems as the 2nd crew member. Route mode, automatic ingress, turn to target, etc. are needed to keep combat workload manageable.

Will any setting set the spoken language to English, like ATC, Support flights, Wingman

Unfortunately not.

... I've had Black Shark pretty much since the beginning....1.0.1 to this version. I'm trying to get to where I can fly in Sim mode, but having lots of problems just hovering.

What game controller/s do you have?

Decent hardware controllers are really crucial for helicopter flights. Not necessarily high end ones, but some with sufficient resolution. Also make sure to remove any dead-zone for it.

And move it with fingers only, not your entire arm.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Let me start by saying Thank you for the quick replies guys.

First, Imacken and Frederf, I know how to trim the Ka-50, it's just getting it in that sweet spot.

Second, all of you, I use and just got the X-56 Rhino. I have the Trim set to Toggle Switch 3 and Trim Reset set to Toggle Switch 4.

Third, I think I am just going to have to start from the beginning and just completely wipe my brain of everything I have learned and practiced in Game Mode. I really do want to be able to fly this bird in Sim mode since I also have the Gazelle and definitely want to get the Backbone of the USA, the UH-1H Huey.

Something else I was wondering about. When in Game Mode and decending, what is the maximum decent rate I can attain in level forward flight? Unless I nose down, the most I get is right at 600fpm or 600mpm. I have everything set to imperial units, so I would think it would be FPM. The reason I ask this, I was in FSX and my throttle would not go all the way down to idle. Even in BS2 when sitting at the FARP the Ka-50 seems very light and the slightest movement of the stick makes me move in that direction. Another thing I noticed, when calibrating the throttle, the lower rotary at my thumb (G) is WAY off center. When I twist it to the indention the indicator on the calibration tool only goes to 35 instead of 50 out of 100. I'm just hoping this is something I can adjust and not my H.O.T.A.S. being borked up, I mean I just got it.

So many things I need to ask I can't think of all of them right now, but these are the ones that are most pressing for me at this moment.

Edited by LazerXXX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mb:ROG Strix GL10DH

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz SSD: Toshiba 1tb & Intel 1tb

RAM:CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB 3.0GHz DDR4

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Monitor: 40" UHD 4k TV

A Rhino would definitely be sufficient, but I don't own it or anything similar so can't help you much with it.

But if I were you I'll give up on game mode and start learning in sim mode directly.

It's definitely more demanding, but it fly so different in game mode so you basically need to relearn anyhow, and relearning is most often rather difficult.

When you talking about maximum decent rates in forward flight I get the impression you try to fly it as an aeroplane, not a good thing to do...

But I might have gotten the wrong impression though.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5