Better Air to Air Refueling

Title says it all...when refueling with the A-10C, boom style, its more or less ok, I mean, the boom doesnt move very organic or realistic but it is what it is, a "long stick" connected to the receiver.

The problem comes when trying to do this stuff with planes like the M2000C or SU-27 (and the coming F-18, Harrier, etc.), probe-and-drogue style...and here is where things could REALLY improve a lot.

I wish a realistic, fluid and challenging modeling of the basket and its hose would be done...oh boy!! it would make such an incredible jump in terms of quality!!:music_whistling:

the hose reacting to the air flow as well as the basket (I dont think we would need a fluid simulation here, just some animation with the ability to react to the probe's touches), a nice high poly hose and a fluid and accurate reaction to the probe actuation would be AMAZING!!

Personally, I find AtA refueling as one of the most FUN and CHALLENGING things I can do in DCS and its also quite realistic as modern fighters will need to do it in most missions so I consider this as a KEY part of the whole DCS simulation which, curiously, is not well simulated at all (we dont even have big tankers with basket for non russian countries IIRC).

I would make a mission consistent in just AtA refueling and I would be very happy and would have a lot of fun just finding the tanker, managing the procedure correctly, doing the refuel and RTB and would call it a day (I do it in fact :P) but it would be a dream and a total game changer, to do it enjoying a realistic physics and accurate behaviour of all the things involved into this procedure, so I hope some improvements can be done in near future regarding to this.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Take a look at my MODS here

Title says it all...when refueling with the A-10C, boom style, its more or less ok, I mean, the boom doesnt move very organic or realistic but it is what it is, a "long stick" connected to the receiver.

The problem comes when trying to do this stuff with planes like the M2000C or SU-27 (and the coming F-18, Harrier, etc.), probe-and-drogue style...and here is where things could REALLY improve a lot.

I wish a realistic, fluid and challenging modeling of the basket and its hose would be done...oh boy!! it would make such an incredible jump in terms of quality!!:music_whistling:

the hose reacting to the air flow as well as the basket (I dont think we would need a fluid simulation here, just some animation with the ability to react to the probe's touches), a nice high poly hose and a fluid and accurate reaction to the probe actuation would be AMAZING!!

Personally, I find AtA refueling as one of the most FUN and CHALLENGING things I can do in DCS and its also quite realistic as modern fighters will need to do it in most missions so I consider this as a KEY part of the whole DCS simulation which, curiously, is not well simulated at all (we dont even have big tankers with basket for non russian countries IIRC).

I would make a mission consistent in just AtA refueling and I would be very happy and would have a lot of fun just finding the tanker, managing the procedure correctly, doing the refuel and RTB and would call it a day (I do it in fact :P) but it would be a dream and a total game changer, to do it enjoying a realistic physics and accurate behaviour of all the things involved into this procedure, so I hope some improvements can be done in near future regarding to this.

The "Boom" isn't very realistic either at the moment.

IRL there is a boom operator and you simply fly the plane into position and fly formation.

There is a nice thread in which Sierra99 explains the details. He has done the boom operator job and knows what he is talking about.

You can manage in DCS World, but it is much harder than in real life.

EDIT found it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2897541&postcount=71

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Glad to see more people are interested on this!, thanks for your comments.

This is a very important part of a mission even if it's not a very long one chances are you will have to refuel in flight so... also I wonder if a better simulation of ata refueling could be implemented for the hornet (I mean one hornet refueling in flight to another hornet) woooowww imagine that in MP :joystick:

edit:forgot to mention, great post to read Shagrat, many thanks!

Edited by watermanpc

Just got the update today and the Updater 2.6.21.16 still has the old "Waiting for Update to Complete..." and "Shutting the torrents down..." windows hanging.

I have not had this problem for a while. Maybe 6 months.

Anybody else get this again?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Glad to see more people are interested on this!, thanks for your comments.

This is a very important part of a mission even if it's not a very long one chances are you will have to refuel in flight so... also I wonder if a better simulation of ata refueling could be implemented for the hornet (I mean one hornet refueling in flight to another hornet) woooowww imagine that in MP :joystick:

edit:forgot to mention, great post to read Shagrat, many thanks!

Only the Super Hornets do ATA. Legacy Hornets, at least when I was in, didn't have the ability to perform a tankers function. So until a SH is modeled I doubt we will see player being tankers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only the Super Hornets do ATA. Legacy Hornets, at least when I was in, didn't have the ability to perform a tankers function. So until a SH is modeled I doubt we will see player being tankers.

I would be glad for a realistic implemented, working western Tanker with drogue and boom options... If we could "man the boom" awesome addition.

With more and more drogue-probe equipped jets coming up (Mirage, AV-8B, Hornet) we really need this functional and to DCS standard.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I would be glad for a realistic implemented, working western Tanker with drogue and boom options... If we could "man the boom" awesome addition.

With more and more drogue-probe equipped jets coming up (Mirage, AV-8B, Hornet) we really need this functional and to DCS standard.

Amen!!!:thumbup:

• 6 months later...

totally agree! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Improved air refueling?

ED! Can you better aerial refueling? In DCS the basket appears to have a magnet. It would be very cool to put a physics in the basket and the refueling probe. Thank You!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Sounds good to me!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

+1000 to this.

I think the probe and drogue method has the furthest to go with improvement. I would love to see TACAN with other tankers.

Speaking of A/A TACAN - the normal 63 channel offset would be welcome as well. (ex. in real life - if the Tanker has 29Y set, any receiver would need 92Y to get bearing and distance; 92-63=29). Eagle Dynamic Digital Combat Simulator should be the FIRST to implement that. :thumbup:

I also want pre-contact dual drogue, appropriate hose markings, reel response and associated lights on Sargent Fletcher Pods for the KC-130s. A KC-10 would be nice also.

Is that a lot?

Edited by MRSHADO
deleted MC-130E/H/P
  • Like 1

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

• 1 month later...

So you are Happy with the way the pilot flies the Tanker????

It reminds me of when my friends would wait for someone to try to get into a car, and JUST WHEN the person is attempting to open the door to get in, the driver PULLS AWAY....LOLOL

It is like some SICK joke.....

Fly at the ideal distance and when you get close the ****ER pulls up and away... and then the BOOM operator, doesn't have a LONG enough stick to get it into the ****ing fuel tank..... Jack ass driver...... (can you tell I just spent an hour trying to refuel my f15 while on a mission and failed)

Speaking of A/A TACAN - the normal 63 channel offset would be welcome as well. (ex. in real life - if the Tanker has 29Y set, any receiver would need 92Y to get bearing and distance; 92-63=29). Eagle Dynamic Digital Combat Simulator should be the FIRST to implement that.

If I remember correct that is exactly how the TACAN in the A-10C with the KC-135 used to work since DCS: A-10C Warthog.

Is it broken?

Shagrat

• 1 month later...

So this answer was posted on facebook in the comments section by Eagle Dynamics today under their latest DCS: F/A-18C Hornet post which refers to a better simulation of aerial refueling in DCS.

Q: How is Wags making out with refueling?

A: On hold as we create a new tanker and improved hose and basket physics.

Edited by Texac

So this answer was posted on facebook in the comments section by Eagle Dynamics today under their latest DCS: F/A-18C Hornet post which refers to a better simulation of aerial refueling in DCS.
good news. I hope they go over the less than helpful Boom operator as well. ;)

Shagrat

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: such a good news!!!!!!...cant wait to see the improvements!:thumbup:, thanks for sharing Texac!