HUD refresh rate

Zabuzard

The HUD of the F-14 has a pretty slow refresh rate, it stutters.

I know that this is how it was in the real aircraft, it's just a HUD of the first generation.

I really look forward to the release of the aircraft however I personally quickly get headache when watching the HUD. I'm afraid that this could potentially ruin my experience with this awesome aircraft.

So my question is, do you plan adding a checkable option which increases the refresh rate to a "non-stuttering" value?

I'd prefer this over the realism aspect in this case.

Might be an effect of watching it on the video. For example occasionally I'm getting uncomfortable when watching youtube clips recorded from VR.

Frankly speaking such option might be controversial as it can give slight advantage over the real plane.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

For now, all of the HUD elements are set to the lowest refresh rate. On release, only some of the HUD elements will refresh this slowly. If it's an issue for people still; we will of course take that into consideration. :)

Can you specify which ones?

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Heatblur Simulations 6 days ago (edited)

The F-14 has variable refresh rates depending on the element drawn. Elements such as the compass/heading indicator, the VVI, radar altitude have the lowest refresh rates, while elements such as the ladder are medium. Elements like the guncross have the highest refresh rates. Currently, in DCS: F-14, everything is set to the lowest refresh rate. This will change prior to release when the HUD artwork is replaced.

from youtube

For now, all of the HUD elements are set to the lowest refresh rate. On release, only some of the HUD elements will refresh this slowly. If it's an issue for people still; we will of course take that into consideration. :)

Thank you for the information. I was really worried about this too since, for medical reasons, I can't watch stuttering or flashing images for more than a few seconds before I start having problems. If it's only going to be a few elements I might be okay. :thumbup:

Here's hoping. :smilewink:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

I am all for 'realism' in simulation aircraft - but obviously situations like these call for a little creative licence. In reality people with any issues viewing flashing/stuttering items such as with the IRL HUD would be filtered out during the medical screening.

Obviously not possible here - so I am sure nobody is going to get 'too' upset if the HUD refresh rates aren't 100% correct if it means the people with these issues can enjoy the aircraft too.

I mean I am a huge fan of the F-14, but this is a tiny compromise that could mean a lot to the people afflicted. Maybe even an option for the aircraft - Real HUD refresh rate or smooth, so the die-hard realists can run it as per IRL perhaps..?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am all for 'realism' in simulation aircraft - but obviously situations like these call for a little creative licence. In reality people with any issues viewing flashing/stuttering items such as with the IRL HUD would be filtered out during the medical screening.

Obviously not possible here - so I am sure nobody is going to get 'too' upset if the HUD refresh rates aren't 100% correct if it means the people with these issues can enjoy the aircraft too.

I mean I am a huge fan of the F-14, but this is a tiny compromise that could mean a lot to the people afflicted. Maybe even an option for the aircraft - Real HUD refresh rate or smooth, so the die-hard realists can run it as per IRL perhaps..?

Sounds like an excellent compromise to me. :thumbup: Might take some time in the coding but the module would hit record highs on everyones favorites list I'm sure. :D

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

+1 for compromise, medical issues come first, but I'm actually looking forward to a sim that simulates something accurately, in its "inaccurate" ways, sometimes the simulations are a bit crisp or precise and don't introduce error which gives a feeling of fakery.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm on the same boat as VampireNZ, having a simple option in the "special options" menu for realistic/smooth HUD would be a great compromise!

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Oh they might lol.....I got flamed for suggesting that you don't "need" an backseater option in the F-4 since it was a comparitively low tech airplane, similar weaps to the single seat Eagle and single seat A-10.....people like their realism here!!

Oh they might lol.....I got flamed for suggesting that you don't "need" an backseater option in the F-4 since it was a comparitively low tech airplane, similar weaps to the single seat Eagle and single seat A-10.....people like their realism here!!

Yeah, I saw a few posts in a different thread where people threw a fit because someone suggested a faster refresh rate for the F-14s HUD. That's why I like the idea of having an option. It gives those who want realism what they like and gives those of us who simply can't view that kind of stuttering what we need so we can enjoy it along with everyone else. :thumbup: It's a good win-win option in my opinion. It'll just mean a little more time coding the option. :smilewink:

Sort of like having the VR option. I can't use it for the same reason I can't view flashing or stuttering images, but it gives the option for those who can enjoy it. :D

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

This has really become a much bigger issue than it is, right now it's slower than it will be in most cases, and after 30 sec in the cockpit you won't even think about it, trust me :P

• Like 1

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

Yeah, I saw a few posts in a different thread where people threw a fit because someone suggested a faster refresh rate for the F-14s HUD. That's why I like the idea of having an option. It gives those who want realism what they like and gives those of us who simply can't view that kind of stuttering what we need so we can enjoy it along with everyone else. :thumbup: It's a good win-win option in my opinion. It'll just mean a little more time coding the option. :smilewink:

Sort of like having the VR option. I can't use it for the same reason I can't view flashing or stuttering images, but it gives the option for those who can enjoy it. :D

Beware some of the MP crowd out there! They might skin you alive for wanting such an unfair advantage!!! :music_whistling::joystick:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

This has really become a much bigger issue than it is, right now it's slower than it will be in most cases, and after 30 sec in the cockpit you won't even think about it, trust me :P

No problem - was just a suggestion. After many years of gaming I think the best thing a developer can do is to provide 'options', for all manner of things without getting out of hand.

But if it is too hard to incorporate then no probs - it is just the fact that some people will not have the option of 'not noticing it/thinking about it', their brain will notice for them regardless.

For me I am sure you are correct, and I will just roll with whatever the F-14 throws at me. Much like the poor resolution in the Rift, I barely notice it now - kinda like riding around with a dirty helmet visor etc.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For most players, yeah that's very true. :smilewink: But for those, like myself, with either eye problems or who might suffer from seizures then it'll be a big issue. :( Having an option would certainly allow those of us who have those problems a chance to buy and fly this wonderful module. :smilewink:

Beware some of the MP crowd out there! They might skin you alive for wanting such an unfair advantage!!! :music_whistling::joystick:

Ah, that's one reason I don't play MP. :D The other is I stink at fighting so I stick with SP mode and get my butt kicked by the AI without getting embarrassed. :P

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

• 10 months later...

I love how the developers acknowledge this issue, which potentially could be addressed - because it is an issue.

I generally do not have much of an issue with flickering lights or similar, but I easily get nauseous from stuttering or quickly varying refresh rates. Some people say that you won't notice it while flying, but I can barely even watch the current youtube-videos where the F-14 are being showcased. The HUD puts me off and distracts.

I love the F-14, it's a childhood dream of mine to get to fly one, and DCS will be as close as I'll ever get to flying one. With the realistic, slow refresh rate of the HUD however, I believe my enjoyment of the module would decrease immensely.

I see nothing wrong by allowing an option to run the HUD is "high refresh rate". I.e run the entire HUD on the fastest element refresh rate (gun sight you said?).

It will not give an unfair advantage, as those "purists" only care about the gun sight... So as long as the pipper behaves the same, no one will care. However, that might also be a relatively low refresh rate compared to what people are used to. (I assume it's somewhere between 15 and 30 Hz)

Edited by uri_ba

It does give an unfair advantage because with HUD refresh rate being slow and using something like gun reticle, it is a lot slower and you will have to guess where you shoot, unlike a high HUD refresh rate where it is very accurate and the shot is lined up. Watch Heatblur's "Fights On!" video and you will understand.

They have already stated that the current HUD works at the slowest element refresh rate.

The HUD elements refresh at dirrerent update frequencies. I.e ladder, gunsight, compass etc..

The gunsight is the element that has the highest refresh rate on the real HUD. If you use that refresh rate "all over" it will not be a cheat, as the other elements will be updated more often, but it will just be a slight anti nausea thing. Not a real advantage.