HUD refresh rate

Zabuzard

I'd suggest having something in special options such as a slider that allows the HUD refresh rate to be changed.

So it turns out that the HUD refresh rate is not an issue, the rate is actually quite fast for all elements but the total velocity vector (which is only present in "Landing mode" anyway).

The ladder looks jumpy because there is a resolution limit to the pitch ladder. The usual modes (cruise and A-A) use pitch compression for the pitch ladder, so the movement looks really smooth.

Also, the gun reticle and other weapon employment symbology look smooth too.

If the pitch ladder bugs users in landing mode, then there is a declutter feature that removes the ladder and there won't be anything jittery on the HUD.

Honestly, the HUD in the F-14A/B was really just for weapons employment, not a primary flight instrument. In fact, one of our SMEs routinely turned off the HUD for landings and normal flight since it didn't add anything too useful under those conditions.

So there are plenty of options for adjusting the appearance and smoothing things out if don't like the look or if things bother you. I'll encourage Cobra to do some videos in modes besides "Landing" so you can see that as well.

-Nick

Funny how people played fleet defender back in the day and never complained about the hud but now if it’s not 60hz it immediately “makes the game unplayable for me”.

LOL

Anyway it should be included in case some people do have a problem, a real one that is.

For now, all of the HUD elements are set to the lowest refresh rate. On release, only some of the HUD elements will refresh this slowly. If it's an issue for people still; we will of course take that into consideration. :)

I was actually a little worried about people (and myself) potentially getting ill effects looking at the stuttering of the HUD, I'm glad its a WIP and some parts will be faster on release.

I am always an advocate for options for people to play the way they would like thats for sure!

I can't wait to see the real thing! Thanks heatblur!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

The refresh rate is already in that vicinity. Hence it wouldn't be smoother with a faster refresh rate.

There are options for a smoother HUD, but these are features built into the real F-14, not game options.

-Nick

In that case we are pretty sure to see it in Heatblur's representation I'm sure, they don't usually leave stuff like that out :)

In that case we are pretty sure to see it in Heatblur's representation I'm sure, they don't usually leave stuff like that out :)

They're already in; but they're not exactly buttery smooth in any mode.

The latest videos is actually close to the "final" "refresh rate" of the HUD, but it's not actually refresh rate.

Rather, the computers driving the drawn elements suffer from a lack of precision, and "update" at gated intervals (i.e. if the delta value is high enough).

For something like the pitch ladder, this means that it only moves when the delta movement would be over a certain amount, but it refreshes at a very high rate. There is thus for example a difference in rotational movement (this is much more smooth) than movement up and down. If you have a very high pitch movement, the HUD will actually appear more smooth because the delta values are being hit quicker.

You can see all of this in our latest videos :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

They're already in; but they're not exactly buttery smooth in any mode.

The latest videos is actually close to the "final" "refresh rate" of the HUD, but it's not actually refresh rate.

Rather, the computers driving the drawn elements suffer from a lack of precision, and "update" at gated intervals (i.e. if the delta value is high enough).

For something like the pitch ladder, this means that it only moves when the delta movement would be over a certain amount, but it refreshes at a very high rate. There is thus for example a difference in rotational movement (this is much more smooth) than movement up and down. If you have a very high pitch movement, the HUD will actually appear more smooth because the delta values are being hit quicker.

You can see all of this in our latest videos :)

I was thinking of what BlackLion said here:

The ladder looks jumpy because there is a resolution limit to the pitch ladder. The usual modes (cruise and A-A) use pitch compression for the pitch ladder' date=' so the movement looks really smooth.[/quote']

I read this as in cruise or A-A mode the pitch ladder should look really smooth.

Meh.. is it really a simulation of you have to cater to a few?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone was asking Heatblur to make the refresh rate fast for everyone. Just to put an option in for those how have trouble with (or don't like) the slower refresh rate. So it's not so much catering to a few people as it's making sure they can reach the entire potential market. After all, no company survives for long if they limit their customer base too far.

After watching the newest video I can say I won't have a problem. The refresh isn't slow enough to hurt my eyes but others may have problems. Having an option would be a good idea but I won't be needing it myself if they keep refresh rate where it is.

Edited by kelpie

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

So it's not so much catering to a few people as it's making sure they can reach the entire potential market. After all, no company survives for long if they limit their customer base too far.

according to this logic then the lowest common denominator is still lower

after all, there is still the entire casual market to be captured

move aside ace c*mbat

I don't think anyone was asking Heatblur to make the refresh rate fast for everyone. Just to put an option in for those how have trouble with (or don't like) the slower refresh rate. So it's not so much catering to a few people as it's making sure they can reach the entire potential market. After all, no company survives for long if they limit their customer base too far.

After watching the newest video I can say I won't have a problem. The refresh isn't slow enough to hurt my eyes but others may have problems. Having an option would be a good idea but I won't be needing it myself if they keep refresh rate where it is.

Apart from the few people who will get motion sickness and have a valid arguement there is a crowd hiding in the back that simply prefer it that way.

In that case I also want an F-14D with amraams or an option to do carrier traps with 6 aim54s hanging of the pylons because that would make me feel all nice about it.

While they’re at it they can release an fc3 version as well for the arcade loving crowd.

I wish heatblur release the best -simulation- of the F14 they can. No discounts or exceptions in fidelity like another dev who make it possible to skip an entire 7 alignment sequence in the options.

Wtf , slow refrate in hud wont cause sickness to anybody. Because in reality its still same refrate than your monitor. Hud ”info” is only updated less frequently ..

So heatblur, just make it 100% real , no arcade options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apart from the few people who will get motion sickness and have a valid arguement there is a crowd hiding in the back that simply prefer it that way.

In that case I also want an F-14D with amraams or an option to do carrier traps with 6 aim54s hanging of the pylons because that would make me feel all nice about it.

While they’re at it they can release an fc3 version as well for the arcade loving crowd.

I wish heatblur release the best -simulation- of the F14 they can. No discounts or exceptions in fidelity like another dev who make it possible to skip an entire 7 alignment sequence in the options.

Wtf , slow refrate in hud wont cause sickness to anybody. Because in reality its still same refrate than your monitor. Hud ”info” is only updated less frequently ..

So heatblur, just make it 100% real , no arcade options.

It's not so much people getting motion sickness from it (although I can see that being a problem for a few). It's more the eye strain and seizure problems I've been concerned about. DCS does have a warning about epileptic seizures but the low update/refresh rate and stuttering on the HUD would certainly make it worse and people who otherwise don't have a problem with DCS could easily end up with seizures or enough eye strain to make it unplayable for them.

I'm all for making the plane as close to reality as possible but a simple option to make the refresh/update rate faster for those who do have problems with their eyes and seizures would make the module more marketable. I don't see an option for faster update/refresh rate being an arcade option. It's not like it would be "point and shoot". It's just that the HUD would move smoothly like it does in all other modules.

If there's no option then I'd question why they would exclude potential sales when those people who wouldn't be able to use it could with a "simple" extra code in the options section? "Simple" being a relative term of course. But they won't need to remake the entire module just to add the option.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

Why would you add an option which isn't in the real plane?

Did the RL f14 pilots drop their Jobs on it because the refresh rate of the hud 'hurts their eyes'? :O

Don't get me wrong, If anybody is bothered with this, then this plane ought not be bought then...

There is the f18 if wanted more.... ;)

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

Why would you add an option which isn't in the real plane?

Did the RL f14 pilots drop their Jobs on it because the refresh rate of the hud 'hurts their eyes'? :O

Don't get me wrong, If anybody is bothered with this, then this plane ought not be bought then...

There is the f18 if wanted more.... ;)

The thing is no one is flying this because it's their job. Those pilots went through training and medical clearance to get into the cockpit of these jets. This, on the other hand, is a simulation. A game. Why make it so only certain people can use it?

From a business stand point: why cut out a portion of sales that could boost the profit margin of the company and allow them to continue making quality simulators? If you can sell 1,000 modules without an option and make $70,000 that's fine. But if you can sell 1,100 and make $77,000 just by adding a few lines of code to allow a few more people to use the module wouldn't that be worth it? $7,000 extra could allow for hiring a few more coders for the next project making it better than the previous modules.

The F-18C is a completely different bird compared to the F-14. That's why the F-14 flew along side the F-18C until the E/F variants came along in 2006. But even the F-18E and F can't use AIM-54s. A lot of people would rather get the F-14 over the F-18; so why force them to settle for the F-18 just because the refresh rate on the 14 is too slow for them? It'll take a lot of customers away from Heatblur. And if they don't add an option and some people buy it and can't use it then there's going to be some heated demands for refunds.

At any rate we won't know what Heatblur decides until the module is released. Just looking at if from a medical and business view it would make sense for them to have the option. It would be up to the player to check the box or not. And up to the servers to allow it in multiplayer or not.

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

The thing is no one is flying this because it's their job. Those pilots went through training and medical clearance to get into the cockpit of these jets. This, on the other hand, is a simulation. A game. Why make it so only certain people can use it?

Simple: Because it's a simulation that is supposed to simulate the real deal.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

What do you mean? Should we make it so that people with a personal -desire- get what they want instead of being true to what it is supposed to be all along? It’s a simulation.

And hud updating slow wont cause anything to anybody.

Maybe in VR but then they should just use monitor. Cant have all in this world.

Life isnt fair , thats how it just is.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]