About the AWLS (All Weather Landing System or ILS by another name).

Zeus67

Unlike other aircrafts, the AV-8B NA's AWLS requires a bit of preparation before the flight start.

The systems uses preset channeis with localizer and glideslope frequencies. It also connects to an associated TACAN station to get range information.

The system is meant to be flexible enough to use mobile radio navigation beacons that maybe set in a FARP or improvised runway.

The pilot cannot change the preset frequency in a channel, althoug he can change the associated TACAN channel and XY mode.

The system can store up to 20 channels.

In order to simulate this, I've been forced to create a configuration file. Currently this file contains the frequencies of all ILS equipped airports in Caucasus (or Nevada).

You can edit this file to your hearts content but only the first 20 entries will be loaded to the AWLS channel list.

The information that must be provided is the following:

• Airport name (alphanumeric)
  • Runway number (alhpanumeric)
  • ILS frequency in Mhz. Range 108.0 - 112.0 Mhz
  • Airport TACAN channel (if exists). 0 if the airport does not have a TACAN
  • Airport TACAN channel mode: 0 == X, 1 == Y.
  • ILS glideslope in degrees. Valid values 2.0 to 6.0 in 0.1 increments
  • ILS Azimuth offset from RWY. Value is in feet (integer). Range: +/- 310 feet in 1 feet increment
  • ILS Elevation offset from RWY. Value is in feet (integer). Range +/- 31 feet in 1 feet increment

When it is loaded you get a list similar to this:

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: -----------------------------

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: AWLS Channel List: 12 entries

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: Chnl 1, ILS Freq 111.50, TACAN: 67X, GS: 3.0, AZ: 0, EL 0, Name Kobuleti, Rwy: 07

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: Chnl 2, ILS Freq 108.75, TACAN: 22X, GS: 3.0, AZ: 0, EL 0, Name Vaziani, Rwy: 14-32

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: Chnl 12, ILS Freq 111.10, TACAN: 0X, GS: 3.0, AZ: 0, EL 0, Name Sochi - Adler, Rwy: 06

00269.933 INFO AV8B_CPT: -----------------------------

I think this is the best way to simulate how the ALWS operates.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Seems to be too extensive to put that configuration onto that special settings tab in the mission editor.

But could you perhaps implement it in a way that we have several of these config files - i.e. one separate file for each map? Because it would be a bit annoying if we had to exchange the file (or even edit the file) each time we want to fly on a different map.

Zeus,

In your FB post you mentioned "The system is meant to be flexible enough to use mobile radio navigation beacons that maybe set in a FARP or improvised runway." Would this be something a mission maker could do for a FARP or road-way runway by setting up a radio beacon at that spot or is this locked in to only Airports ?

Thanks

Specs: It's a computer...it runs DCS....

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zeus,

In your FB post you mentioned "The system is meant to be flexible enough to use mobile radio navigation beacons that maybe set in a FARP or improvised runway." Would this be something a mission maker could do for a FARP or road-way runway by setting up a radio beacon at that spot or is this locked in to only Airports ?

Thanks

Good question. I'll ask ED about the nature of beacons for FARPS.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Unlike other aircrafts, the AV-8B NA's AWLS requires a bit of preparation before the flight start. [...]

would it not be possible to have a tab in the editor, similar to all the aircraft, that have radio presets?

you would have all the channels and a field to put a maybe 3-letter code in. the code would internally be used to look up the proper settings from the file.

that would be a more noob-friendly solution:)

would it not be possible to have a tab in the editor, similar to all the aircraft, that have radio presets?

you would have all the channels and a field to put a maybe 3-letter code in. the code would internally be used to look up the proper settings from the file.

that would be a more noob-friendly solution:)

If I did get that right the default airfields will be included already, so the Average Joe Pilot must not change anything. If we do get mobile devices or want to set up AWLS at a Russian airfield than we´d need to tinker with said file, wich I´m totally fine with.

Zeus, please, please pester ED about including some sort of mobile device that can be placed by Mission Designers as well as a possible rearming/ refueling anywhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, from what I understood, all airfields will be included in the file.

But if there are more than 20 airfields, you will have to modify the file to place the airfields you want to use in the first 20 of the list.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I would strongly recommend this to be added to the specials tab into the editor. The less a player has to fiddle with files outside of the game the better.

Even better would be to have a system to modify the file while the aircraft is parked, but that might be a bit much to ask for.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

It seems a bit strange that the Harrier would be set up with a "programmable" ILS system in the aircraft for use at remote sites. Most portable GPS units designed for use in aircraft allow the pilot to establish a desired angle of descent (glide slope) for any destination waypoint by choosing where you want to begin the approach and at what altitude. The GPS knows the elevation of the waypoint so it draws a line from the start of the approach to the touchdown point and that gives you a glide slope/localizer/TACAN! It is extremely easily done with GPS, which is carried on board the a/c with no need for large, bulky radio gear, such as localizer, glideslope or TACAN transmitters, or the generators and fuel trucks necessary to keep them all working!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems a bit strange that the Harrier would be set up with a "programmable" ILS system in the aircraft for use at remote sites. Most portable GPS units designed for use in aircraft allow the pilot to establish a desired angle of descent (glide slope) for any destination waypoint by choosing where you want to begin the approach and at what altitude. The GPS knows the elevation of the waypoint so it draws a line from the start of the approach to the touchdown point and that gives you a glide slope/localizer/TACAN! It is extremely easily done with GPS, which is carried on board the a/c with no need for large, bulky radio gear, such as localizer, glideslope or TACAN transmitters, or the generators and fuel trucks necessary to keep them all working!

Well, the built-in GPS system is not determined to be precise enough for GPS-only landings. They are forbidden to use the GPS in landings.

ILS and TACAN beacons are not that bulky. They largest component is the antenna and they can be erected quite fast. By the time the FARP is ready for business, so will be the radio navigation aids.

AV-8B has been designed before all the GPS functions we know today were available.

No GPS precision approach was available in 1991 Gulf War...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 1 year later...

I know this is resurrecting an old post but I cant see a more modern thread.

AWLS is a great feature, if you have the runway loaded, but otherwise when others can use ILS.

The suggested option of setting it up in ME is a good suggestion, although this would pass the buck to the mission editor to rember todo this, but is still worth doing, manual editing of the document is less disarable as you would have to restart (I guess) dcs, maybe we should have the option to switch it up by communicating with grnd crew (simular to the nvg) along side the map specific base list? Along with a dynamic kneeboard page for it?

unfortunately I have no clue about coding so i do not know how easy this would be todo but I think this could be a potential solution.

I am curious about when the AWLS will be available on the Tarawa.

It already is, it uses the same microwave system as ICLS used by the Hornet and can be set in the mission editor.

However Razbam modelled the Harrier's AWLS before ICLS was added to DCS, so made it compatible with land based ILS.

ED could enable an ILS option for carriers* but it'd be a simplification and unrealistic (so IMHO is unlikely to happen).

Perhaps a realistic AWLS was outside of Razbam's original plan and they are hesitant to change (remove) the existing ILS support that players have grown used to.

*Note: Even if ILS was added to the Tarawa, there's no way to set a ILS frequency in the AV-8B as AWLS uses channel numbers as ICLS, you'd need to edit the AV-8B configuration file.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have tried to make an approach to the Tarawa using the AWLS and got the localizer and glide slope indications, but it brought me into the boat with about a 10 degree offset to the right, just like the ICLS on the Stennis. That can't be correct, can it?

TL;DR:

Unfortunately "LHA_Tarawa.lua" isn't setup with the correct Localizer value (180°), being set at 189° i.e. 9° off.

Detail:

You'll need to edit:

DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\AV8BNA\LHA_Tarawa.lua

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- SHIP DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT.life						= 7300;
GT.mass						= 38900000;	--7.2916e+007; 72916000
GT.max_velocity				= 15.4333;
GT.race_velocity			= 15.4333;
GT.economy_velocity			= 15.4333;
GT.economy_distance			= 7.408e+007;
GT.race_distance			= 7.408e+007;
GT.shipLength				= 233;
GT.Width					= 48;
GT.Height					= 64.36;
GT.Length					= 250; 
GT.DeckLevel				= 19.98;
GT.X_nose					= 108.728
GT.X_tail					= -124.096
GT.Tail_Width				= 31.753
GT.Gamma_max				= 0.35;
GT.Om						= 0.05;
GT.speedup					= 0.119249;
GT.R_min					= 665.8;
GT.distFindObstacles		= 1048.7;
GT.TACAN 					= true;
GT.TACAN_position 			= {-37.969, 56.996, -10.786}
GT.ICLS						= true;
GT.ICLS_Localizer_position	= {-153.0, 12.0, 9.4, [color="Red"][b]189.0[/b][/color]}	-- {x [m], y [m], z [m], yaw [deg]}
GT.ICLS_Glideslope_position	= {-79.0, 26.5, 32.7, 3.5}	-- {x [m], y [m], z [m], glideslope = 3.5 [deg]}
GT.OLS = {
Type = GT_t.OLS_TYPE.IFLOLS, 
CutLightsArg = 404, 
DatumAndWaveOffLightsArg = 405, 
MeatBallArg = 151, 
GlideslopeBasicAngle = 3.5, 
VerticalCoverageAngle = 1.7
}

I also did something similar for the LSO camera as it faces forward by default.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

AWLS and ICLS are the same thing, right?

Yes i.e. the Navy was testing AWLS on a LHD but a Harrier wasn't available, so they used a Hornet as testing the AWLS 'beam' didn't require the Hornet to land on the LHD.

Note: The Hornet ICLS and AV-8B AWLS share the same ARA-63 decoder, however there may be some engineering differences.

All the information I've found suggests they function the same i.e. localizer +/- 20° Azimuth, only +/- 6° having proportional information.

How do you do this, please?

By editing GT.LSOView position in "LHA_Tarawa.lua" i.e. turn the camera 180° and point it up along the 3.6° glide slope.

-- Aviation Facilities
GT.Landing_Point	= {-71.0, 19.9, -8.0} 
GT.LSOView = {
cockpit = "empty", 
position = {
	--[[connector = "",]] 
	offset = {-69.0, 19.9, -8.0, [color="SeaGreen"][b]180.0[/b][/color], [color="seagreen"][b]3.6[/b][/color]} ---MONITOR DECK PLAT CAM
	--offset = {-69.0, 19.9, -10.75, [color="Red"][b]0.0[/b][/color], [color="red"][b]0.0[/b][/color]} ---ORIGINAL
}
}

Note: The camera position is still WIP as I want to align it with the 'Tram Line'.