Question about D-Day markings

pepto

I've been looking for resources on P-51 markings, specifically during D-Day, even more specifically about invasion stripes. Personally I love the look of the black and white stripes both on the bottom and top of the wing, take Crazy Horse (one of my favorites) for example

58d3fca9e376022b69e10d550a814ccf.jpg

The same can be seen on other Stangs like Quicksilver, but I never see them in actual historical pictures, more commonly I see the black and white stripes on the bottom of the wing and a single black stripe on the top, as shown here

p-51D.jpg

Are the stripes that we see on Crazy Horse and Quicksilver and others historically accurate? Part of me is hoping they are because God damn if they don't look nice on the pony :P To take the topic further, how many restored mustangs keep their original colors (or at least mimic other historical schemes) and how many are simply redone with the modern eye? Miss Kandy has to be my altime favorite P-51 scheme but again I don't know if it's actually historically accurate, any thoughts? :smartass: