Map feedback . .

philstyle

these are the settings I use ingame. For multiplayer I turn terrain shadows off.

I get great frames, but my rig isn't to bad, you will have to play around to find a good balance

I note your Full Screen not ticked .....

Question: Do you get better frames in Windowed Vs Full Screen?

Cheers!

• ED Team
I note your Full Screen not ticked .....

Question: Do you get better frames in Windowed Vs Full Screen?

Cheers!

I was just doing some tests, and did see I slight increase with full screen.

however my setup I use two screens over / under my top screen is for gaming and is my main screen, my lower screen is for forums / streaming / tools and so on so I prefer window so I can switch easy

I am still looking into my settings and waiting for the next internal build so I can compare performance.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Right.

3 days in and things have improved a fair amout for me, performance wiose and in terms of the look of the sim.

The brightness issues can be resovled by either using the GFX-card drivers or an application like "re-shade" to tweak the look a bit. The fact that it can be done with relative ease by third party apps suggests that ED should consider a fix, or implementing a similar client-adjustable system (like a gamma slider for a start!)

Contact Spotting, .............

Good points here .....

I am quite encouraged by the map's potential and once it matures, I'm sure I'll spend lots of time on it.

I would add a few notes ..... (all in the understanding this is still Open Alpha)

(aside - Does Open Alpha mature to Beta before reaching full release ... perhaps at unification?)

1) The patchwork field, the trees, the irregular nature of the how the ground presents and the various types of fields etc all are fantastic.

2) France looks more mature than England however as the landscape on the southern coast of England shows some obvious copy and paste (reference IoW and look to the coastal mainland). There are no houses there either from what I could see so it must be early days for this late additional to the Normandy map area. Hope this get's the love in the fullness of time.

3) Are the existing airfields hard-coded or can they be changed (removed or added to) via the Mission Editor? I could not see how to remove them but my ME skills are still quite low.

Someone mentioned about there being lots of buildings on the fwd bases and I wondered about removing some in ME and failed.

4) Weather is particularly interesting and it seems clearly at another level from 1.5. I will be hoping to enjoy variation changes in weather between my field and my patrol so looking forward to this feature set's maturity.

Well I left a rather long VR 1st use exp report that was a little long winded from my right out the box usage. Yeah, I was critical an own up to that. However I have since done some tweaking, using Reshade and SweetFX. I also utilized a trick to modify the VR picture by hooking a monitor up to the VR's hdmi port, then made brightness adjustments, color adjustments, then rehooking the VR up to it, the setting are retained and then allows you to have some additional control over VR picture qualities.

This is a great start. Few notes on the water/ocean

It appears the sun reflecting on it is too restricted. There is a band(which looks great when sun is at dawn or dusk) or spot light of sun(afternoon and not my fave effect) on the water surface and outside that band or spot there is no reflection of the water surface of any kind. I have it set to high. In fact in general there is a huge issue with water. Water is a reflective surface, even when or where the sun is not on it. You can easily see this by facing the sun in game over water, nice band of refection on the surface you see, then just turn away and the water becomes a matte finish surface. Water is not a matte finish. This really could use some tweaking please. Water, especially ocean water is like fractal or faceted. So even if you have the sun to your back, and the water below or ahead of you it will show surface variety as light, whether it be sun, moon or ambient or artificial is hitting all the little peaks and dips and rolls and swells, turbulence..etc. All those will reflect light, not necessarily sparkling sunlight, but whatever light simply is around. Another crazy thing to try is to turn on some fog, add some wind to get some movement in the ocean and when facing away from the sun it appears to take on a cloud like property. Kinda cool sure but not correct at all.

Anyways. I know a ton of work has gone into this and tons more ahead and I look forward to seeing this evolve. Good start and I also have to say performance wise. I am impressed. I think NTTR runs better now for me even with some lighting engine issues now present and Normandy is like butta as well. So nice magic there.

Edited by Torso

Its fair that England will be low detail- but it is not unfair to hope that they might make some adjustment to it to make better. It does not have to be anything fancy but a proper coastline, slighty better texture work (above mentioned copy-paste) and a bit more detailed airbases (They already have many assets- many airbases in France have solid hangars and admin buildings etc that would work well), then I could work pretty well as a more or less believe launch pad for heading into france.

There is still a lot to do in France and I expect it to take priority, off course. Proper infrastructre for one. Also the fields and textures in Normandy varies tremendously. Water texture (or lack thereof). All in all, its off to a good start. It can end up a good map, or it can end up a great map. Seing as we will probably stay here for a very long time I hope for the best.

I haven't had time to fly much yet but did spend a couple of hours with the new 2.1.

I'm using the same settings as I did in 2.0.xx as a starting point and have found that in both single player and multiplayer I experience random freezing varying from a split second to a minute on the Normandy map.

Other than that frame rate seems fine, 35-45 on the ground or low altitude over Caen and rock solid 60 at altitude with the limiter on.

In the NTTR map no freezes yet, I need to fly it a bit more though to have comparable data.

I may need to search around for the impostors settings a bit.

Maybe I missed this, but are impostors back in 2.1 now?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I never understand how people can accept lessvthan 60FPS as being finevas on my system anything below 60 is noticeable and making the game jerky and completely destroys any immersion.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

got these weird lines on the ACG server today. never happened before and I havent changed any settings

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/eQpVz0J.jpg[/img]

now ive played with the settings a bit, I am starting to enjoy her a lot more now and its going to be very good once all the stupid little things get sorted.

Edited by Brigg

After quite a bit of hours playing in Normandy and as a feedback, I have to say that while it can look amazing at the right spot (and because the new 2.1 lighting is AMAZING), it has also something that I'm not sure will change due to WIP and by far the thing Im liking the less...textures are way too tiled and repetitive imho!...its very noticeable at not so high altitude but also you can see how tiled they are just by zooming in the ME map,it looks like there are just a few tiles of textures...some variation at some places of the map would be of a great help.

Well I left a rather long VR 1st use exp report that was a little long winded from my right out the box usage. Yeah, I was critical an own up to that. However I have since done some tweaking, using Reshade and SweetFX. I also utilized a trick to modify the VR picture by hooking a monitor up to the VR's hdmi port, then made brightness adjustments, color adjustments, then rehooking the VR up to it, the setting are retained and then allows you to have some additional control over VR picture qualities.

This is a great start. Few notes on the water/ocean

It appears the sun reflecting on it is too restricted. There is a band(which looks great when sun is at dawn or dusk) or spot light of sun(afternoon and not my fave effect) on the water surface and outside that band or spot there is no reflection of the water surface of any kind. I have it set to high. In fact in general there is a huge issue with water. Water is a reflective surface, even when or where the sun is not on it. You can easily see this by facing the sun in game over water, nice band of refection on the surface you see, then just turn away and the water becomes a matte finish surface. Water is not a matte finish. This really could use some tweaking please. Water, especially ocean water is like fractal or faceted. So even if you have the sun to your back, and the water below or ahead of you it will show surface variety as light, whether it be sun, moon or ambient or artificial is hitting all the little peaks and dips and rolls and swells, turbulence..etc. All those will reflect light, not necessarily sparkling sunlight, but whatever light simply is around. Another crazy thing to try is to turn on some fog, add some wind to get some movement in the ocean and when facing away from the sun it appears to take on a cloud like property. Kinda cool sure but not correct at all.

Anyways. I know a ton of work has gone into this and tons more ahead and I look forward to seeing this evolve. Good start and I also have to say performance wise. I am impressed. I think NTTR runs better now for me even with some lighting engine issues now present and Normandy is like butta as well. So nice magic there.

Well, there is reflection of objects in the water BUT, its true that there is not clouds reflection (which I though they would add because there were in lomac times and its probably WIP as in some Matt videos I saw the high clouds reflect if Im not mistaken)...also, water color gamut could be richer (which is what you are refering after all), once they enable clouds reflection and/or sky reflection, which would make the ocean look much nicer and close to real life, where the specular of the sun is much bigger and matte due to being reflecting all the environement, just like this:

1496077725-kc135-1460400250963-1535348-ver1-0.jpg

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Normandy Comment

After cruising around in Normandy and then going back to Nellis, I feel the colors are too "bright" (more like washed out). I think my mission was set for about 10 AM. Also, I need to try adjusting my settings as the tree shadows in Normandy were flashing alot on the free flight mission.

I flew the Free Flight mission in Normandy and watched the B-17 land from my Spitfire cockpit. One comment, the landing lights looked like two white triangles coming from the B-17 wings....not natural at all.

I realize it is in Alpha, and thank you for the work! I look forward to follow-on corrections and changes. My opinion....contrast and brightness need work.

After cruising around in Normandy and then going back to Nellis, I feel the colors are too "bright" (more like washed out). I think my mission was set for about 10 AM. Also, I need to try adjusting my settings as the tree shadows in Normandy were flashing alot on the free flight mission.

I flew the Free Flight mission in Normandy and watched the B-17 land from my Spitfire cockpit. One comment, the landing lights looked like two white triangles coming from the B-17 wings....not natural at all.

I too have raised the aircraft lighting issues in the past. It is not a map issue or even restricted to the B-17. It has been an existing issue for a long time with pretty much all aircraft. It is just how DCS currently appears to be set to handle these types of lights. All aircraft lights(and I would say airport lights as well) need to be reworked to remove the 'cotton ball' effect they posses(navigation lights, etc) and the hard physical cone that exists even in bright sun clear cloudless mid-afternoon time of day. On the B-17 it extends almost out to the nose from the wings and looks particularly bad when it is landing or taking off. I am sure ED will address eventually. Fingers crossed.

I would also request some review of the stars/night sky is done. I am a VR user exclusively and night flying is currently pretty much unusable due to banding and even at 1am, a horizon glow remains when it should be long gone and the stars at night are as large as street lights. It seems they could be made smaller so as to appear more distant. I know bringing up other 'titles' is against the rules but there are a couple good examples out there that perhaps some tweak direction could be gleamed that DCS could benefit from. I never thought it was bad to have the "if there is a better way to do something, why not try to adopt it" attitude. Currently in VR we have severe banding issues that could be addressed but haven't as of yet. I think All maps and future maps would benefit from this. Again maybe I am only addressing things from a VR user standpoint but perhaps valid for non VR users as well.

I am seeing some beautiful stuff in front of me as I have been tweaking my end and really once more work is put into the environmental lighting/shadows performance and perhaps some color tweaking of the map allowing for less cartoonish colors it will be amazing. I have been touring it in Upuauts Bell47 mod and it is really nice. I know we will get there eventually but this is a nice start for sure.

Edited by Torso

Well, there is reflection of objects in the water

Edited post:

Well I have some crow to eat. I had set my water setting to high and yet it had not set the water to high actually it appears. I indeed went back in and re-selected it(actually wondering if there was an ultra setting I missed..lol) from the drop down, then went back in and the ocean in Normandy did look better than what i was seeing all this time previously since Friday. So that is nice. Thanks for challenging my findings and forcing me to go back again. Look forward to further tweaks. Now to go check out NTTRs lakes..those still have me worried..lol.

Edited by Torso

got these weird lines on the ACG server today. never happened before and I havent changed any settings

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/eQpVz0J.jpg[/img]

now ive played with the settings a bit, I am starting to enjoy her a lot more now and its going to be very good once all the stupid little things get sorted.

Not sure about those lines, I assume you mean the things that look kinda like waves near the shore?

Also, a slightly unrelated question, but how did you get your chat box up in the top like that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

Edited post:

Well I have some crow to eat. I had set my water setting to high and yet it had not set the water to high actually it appears. I indeed went back in and re-selected it(actually wondering if there was an ultra setting I missed..lol) from the drop down, then went back in and the ocean in Normandy did look better than what i was seeing all this time previously since Friday. So that is nice. Thanks for challenging my findings and forcing me to go back again. Look forward to further tweaks. Now to go check out NTTRs lakes..those still have me worried..lol.

Nice to know its looking better for you ;)... imagine when we get clouds and sky reflections! :pilotfly:

Nttr lake is also affected by wind speed although not as much as the sea of course...

Not to nitpick (But its only out of dedication to this wonderful sim), but the Normandy airfields looks a lot better in the Spitfire trailer, where the much more closely resemble the dried up and dusty look they would have. I hope this is something that is considered for a later fresh coat of paint:)

but how did you get your chat box up in the top like that?

You can move the chat window around. Press Ctrl (i think, that what I have it set to) so the prompt comes up so you can type and then just use the mouse to move the whole box.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... there is no reflection of the water surface of any kind. I have it set to high. In fact in general there is a huge issue with water. Water is a reflective surface, even when or where the sun is not on it. You can easily see this by facing the sun in game over water, nice band of refection on the surface you see, then just turn away and the water becomes a matte finish surface. Water is not a matte finish.

Except when it is

My photo.

2104364176_mattsea.thumb.PNG.fc4a85ad8b12ece48514ec63d7ab8eea.PNG

Cheers.

That's not matte, that's defused, which is different. The fact that the water appears to be blue demonstrates that. Water is NOT blue. Its apparent color is a refection of the sky.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Some of the textures stick out like a sore thumb, not only due to the colour variation (There are easily visible in satelite map view), but also when they recieve shadows. These were visible in many youtube vids and is still there. Will try to show some better pics later.

lW4YBJh.jpg

cTMkp3f.jpg

Some of the textures stick out like a sore thumb, not only due to the colour variation (There are easily visible in satelite map view), but also when they recieve shadows. These were visible in many youtube vids and is still there. Will try to show some better pics later.

%5B/img%5D

Yep, I also noticed this in videos and actually in game...worst thing is they are well inside the detailed portion of the map as well as some other textures that, imho, are used too much causing VERY noticeable patterns a couple of miles from "Le Havre" and "Rouen".

Let's see if they improve this in future patches.

Edited by NineLine
removed image links