VR in normandy

deanbrh

Anyone else disappointed? Or is it just me?

I have a problem with tree's popping in, in front of me from nowhere, no matter the tree visibility and general visibility settings.

Also, I've had to scale down nearly every single setting incl pixel density, visib range, shadows, and so on just to maintain 45fps, and still it struggles to maintain that. This is using a gtx 1080 ti

Is the map just not optimised for VR yet?

Having the same performance problems. Is worse than Nevada in 2.05 (and Nevada is worse in 2.1 than in 2.05) in performance. Still early though, gonna try more visual settings, and see if I cant find the magic one.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

MSAA seems to be quite costly now. I got a decent boost when setting that off (from x2). Still not getting what I had in 2.05.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Wait so even Nevada is worse now in 2.1? I thought performance/optimisation was supposed to improve with updates..not get worse?

Looks like I dodged a bullet passing on Normandy too - I guess the novelty of paying to be an Alpha tester has well and truely worn off for me. Can't say the low performance of Normandy in VR comes as any surprise though.

Still 'downloading' at a blazingly fast avg 0.5 MB/sec, so may be a while till I can check it out...

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have same issues, performance is bad even with i7 7700k @ 5.05Ghz:(

Nearly with all settings low, but thats only halve the problem. That overly manly brightness, that is total overkill! I have to say in VR as much as i love all the gizmos 1.5 is more playable. Of course I hope things will change but I havbe to say Nevada is smooth because there are no objects but with Normany treees everywhere so U look at the wingtip and get that bad jiddering that you hate.

Yes I am finding performance in 2.1 Normandy in VR to be no where near what I was getting in 2.0 Nevada, at least initial impression. Getting a lot of stuttering which tells me it is struggling to even maintain 45fps for ASW.

I am going to need to do some serious scaling back of my settings to get this to run smoothly I think.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Whoa I scaled back settings big time, still cannot even maintain 45 fps for ASW in my Rift.

This is not good... might not be doing much flying in Normandy.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yea same here. No luck finding something that works.

Been flying 2.05 quite a bit as of late, in preparation for 2.1 / Normandy, so have had a good feel for the performance there, and its been silky smooth, even with shadows on (low, and terrain off), which Im not able to do in 1.56 and run it as smooth as 2.05. But 2.1 Nevada, not as smooth, no matter what I do. Runs better than Normandy, which will be a no go for me for now - Nevada too.

One of the big things, and strange things, is that 2.05 was a lot smoother at 45 fps than 2.1 is. So crossing Las Vegas down low in 2.1, forget it. And reaching 90 fps seems tougher in 2.1 Nevada too.

Tried tweaking some more, still pretty bad and struggling to even get close to maintaining 45 fps for ASW and is a stutter-fest.

I know it is early Alpha so hopefully things will improve down the road, doubt I will be doing much with it myself at least for a while. It looks really nice, but not much enjoyment for me with the poor performance in VR.

Hopefully it is way better for the monitor folks.

Don B

Tried tweaking some more, still pretty bad and struggling to even get close to maintaining 45 fps for ASW and is a stutter-fest.

I know it is early Alpha so hopefully things will improve down the road, doubt I will be doing much with it myself at least for a while. It looks really nice, but not much enjoyment for me with the poor performance in VR.

Hopefully it is way better for the monitor folks.

Hi I'm not having any issues in Normandy with the rift. I get a constant 45fps, on the ground , air, clouds- everywhere.

seems something is not right. appologies for the obvious but have you tried a repair and updated your GPU drivers.

my specs are below and these are the settings I use for constant 45fps

textures -high

traffic - med

water - med

range - high

heat blur -off

shadows - med

MSAA- 4x

HDR -off

deffered - off

Antiseptic filtering 4x

object shadows - default

sliders 3/4 to the right except preload which is full

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Hi I'm not having any issues in Normandy with the rift. I get a constant 45fps, on the ground , air, clouds- everywhere.

sliders 3/4 to the right except preload which is full

This is very interesting! Can you make a video of that... havent seen any VR Normandy expierience with good framerate. Not a single one with proof of stable fps :noexpression:

I turned off that terrible 'Deferred Shading' option and it made it a lot better in NTTR (dodged Normandy thank goodness lol). Was totally unflyable with it turned on, and what was with the big green dot in the middle of the F-15 HUD?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is very interesting! Can you make a video of that... havent seen any VR Normandy expierience with good framerate. Not a single one with proof of stable fps :noexpression:

My system is brand new and I am running the EVGA GTX-1080TI and my FPS is in the toilet so....

Kind of bummed. I was expecting similar performance to the, already better 2.0 version, in this 2.1. Hopefully the next few months of alpha updates will prove to be better.

100% will do this in the next hour for you guys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Edit: For me its the new Deferred Shader and HDR. Turning them off. Give me pretty decent fps (could be better).

Edited by SpeedStick
New tests.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

I just wonder why in every advertisement, we were told that performance is on par with Nevada, but nobody told that both nevada and normandy will plumit fps in half! Really hope devs will look into this i have to admit new lighting with shadows look awsome just that ve cannot enjoy any of this even on worlds best pc:/ Maybe clouds are making issues with fps gotta look into that today;)

Edited by Verde

Yeah I turned everything way down, no hdr, deferred shading off, etc.

Not going to lower gfx any more, already looked pretty rough from how much had already lowered them. 2.0 was certainly way better.

I could not maintain asw of 45fps with just my plane in the air, can imagine what it would have been like in a heavy dogfight.

2.0 was way better for me than 2.1.

Might play around with it some more later on today...

Don B

Also, the excesive brightness in VR makes nearly imposible to read HUD or even collimated sights from WWII planes.

In addition, I had many CTD when exit from a mission to briefing in VR mode, that CTD do no happens in monitor 2D view.

Please dev, fix asap VR performance in 2.1 (maybe a hot fix??), I know this is a alpha however we spends a lot of weeks waiting normandy or other improvements, personally I spend a lot of money, even two years ago when nevada was launched I remember it did not have so many bugs.

Thanks

KR

Its like something is capping the performance. Just for the hell of it, I went the other way, with quite juicy settings, and I see little difference in performance - this was Normandy.

Im quite stuck at 45fps. If I go high, I get 60+, and when I fly very low over towns, I see around 40, with the occasional fast dip as low as 30'ish. But thats pretty much the same, no matter my settings. Is really weird.

I have checked the options.lua, and I re-save my test 'mission' every time I change visual settings.

I seem to have found a great balance for me. I am seeing consistent 45 FPS with no stuttering. It is still not as good as 2.0 was though. My entire config for VR is in the spoiler. I hope it helps some out there. Like many of you I am disgusted.

I took the grass down to zero, AL ANF down to 2.0 each and that really helped. The grass is two different colors in each one of my Rift lenses and it looked really weird anyhow. Good luck pilots, I feel you. :(

options = {

["VR"] = {

["box_mouse_cursor"] = true,

["enable"] = true,

["pixel_density"] = 1.5,

["use_mouse"] = true,

},

["difficulty"] = {

["avionicsLanguage"] = "english",

["birds"] = 0,

["cockpitStatusBarAllowed"] = false,

["cockpitVisualRM"] = true,

["easyCommunication"] = false,

["easyFlight"] = false,

["easyRadar"] = false,

["externalViews"] = true,

["fuel"] = false,

["geffect"] = "realistic",

["hideStick"] = true,

["iconsTheme"] = "nato",

["immortal"] = false,

["impostors"] = "",

["labels"] = false,

["map"] = true,

["miniHUD"] = false,

["optionsView"] = "optview_all",

["padlock"] = false,

["permitCrash"] = false,

["radio"] = false,

["reports"] = true,

["setGlobal"] = true,

["spectatorExternalViews"] = true,

["tips"] = false,

["units"] = "imperial",

["userMarks"] = true,

["userSnapView"] = true,

["weapons"] = false,

},

["format"] = 1,

["graphics"] = {

["DOF"] = 0,

["HDR"] = 0,

["LensEffects"] = 1,

["MSAA"] = 1,

["OculusRift"] = true,

["SSAO"] = 0,

["anisotropy"] = 1,

["aspect"] = 1.25,

["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 5,

["civTraffic"] = "medium",

["clouds"] = 1,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,

["cockpitGI"] = 0,

["disableAero"] = false,

["effects"] = 3,

["flatTerrainShadows"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["heatBlr"] = 0,

["height"] = 1080,

["lights"] = 2,

["motionBlur"] = 0,

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",

["preloadRadius"] = 150000,

["scaleGui"] = false,

["shadowTree"] = false,

["shadows"] = 0,

["sync"] = false,

["terrainTextures"] = "max",

["textures"] = 2,

["treesVisibility"] = 25000,

["useDeferredShading"] = 0,

["visibRange"] = "Medium",

["water"] = 1,

["width"] = 1920,

},

["miscellaneous"] = {

["Coordinate_Display"] = "Lat Long",

["F2_view_effects"] = 1,

["TrackIR_external_views"] = false,

["accidental_failures"] = false,

["chat_window_at_start"] = true,

["f10_awacs"] = true,

["f11_free_camera"] = true,

["f5_nearest_ac"] = true,

["force_feedback_enabled"] = false,

["headmove"] = false,

["show_pilot_body"] = false,

["synchronize_controls"] = false,

},

["plugins"] = {

["A-10C"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "Ricardo HD",

},

["AJS37"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "default",

},

["Bf-109K-4"] = {

["aileronTrim"] = 0,

["assistance"] = 0,

["autoRudder"] = false,

["cameraOrigin"] = 0,

["rudderTrim"] = 0,

},

["C-101EB"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "english",

},

["CA"] = {

["ground_aim_helper"] = true,

["ground_automatic"] = true,

["ground_platform_shake"] = false,

["ground_target_info"] = true,

["kompass_options"] = 1,

},

["F-5E-3"] = {

["SightCamera"] = 0,

["aiHelper"] = false,

},

["F-86F"] = {

["NoseWheelSteeringSimpleBehaviourF86"] = true,

["aiHelper"] = false,

["gunCamera"] = 2,

["landSeatAdjustF86"] = false,

},

["FC3"] = {

["CPLocalList_A-10A"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_F-15C"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_MiG-29A"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_MiG-29G"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_MiG-29S"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_Su-25"] = "default",

["CPLocalList_Su-27"] = "English Blue",

["CPLocalList_Su-33"] = "default",

},

["FW-190D9"] = {

["assistance"] = 0,

["autoRudder"] = false,

},

["Hawk"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "high",

},

["Ka-50"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "ricardo",

["Ka50RudderTrimmer"] = false,

["altTrimmingMethod"] = false,

},

["L-39C"] = {

["CPLocalZAList"] = "english",

["dismountGunSight"] = false,

["gunCamera"] = 1,

["sarpp"] = 1,

},

["LotAtc"] = {

["approachallairports"] = 2,

["automatictype"] = 0,

["enable"] = true,

["profile"] = 0,

["radar"] = 2,

["relieffilter"] = true,

["showdatas"] = true,

["showsams"] = true,

["speedfilter"] = true,

},

["M-2000C"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "EN by gospadin",

["PPA_TOTPAR"] = false,

["UNI_ALIGNED"] = true,

["UNI_NODRIFT"] = true,

},

["Mi-8MTV2"] = {

["CPLocalList"] = "English Black Cockpit by Devrim",

["Mi8AutopilotAdjustment"] = false,

["Mi8CockpitShake"] = 50,

["Mi8FOV"] = 120,

["Mi8RudderTrimmer"] = false,

["Mi8TrimmingMethod"] = 0,

["controlHelperMi8"] = false,

["gunCamera"] = 0,

},

["MiG-15bis"] = {

["aiHelper"] = false,

["autoLeanToAimMiG15"] = false,

["gunCamera"] = 0,

},

["MiG-21Bis"] = {

["CustomCockpit"] = true,

["Engine"] = false,

["Freeze"] = false,

["Pitot"] = false,

["Reticle"] = true,

["Shake"] = 20,

},

["P-51D"] = {

["assistance"] = 0,

["autoRudder"] = false,

},

["SA342"] = {

["CPLocalListL"] = "default",

["CPLocalListM"] = "default",

["ControlsDisplayLocation"] = 1,

["EasierControls"] = false,

["EngineBreak"] = true,

["PreloadWaypoints"] = true,

["RudderTrim"] = false,

["StickPitchCurve"] = 0,

["StickRollCurve"] = 0,

["VibrationRate"] = 17,

},

["SpitfireLFMkIX"] = {

["aileronTrim"] = 0,

["assistance"] = 0,

["autoRudder"] = false,

},

["Su-25T"] = {

},

["TF-51D"] = {

["assistance"] = 0,

["autoRudder"] = false,

},

["Tacview"] = {

["bookmarkShortcut"] = 0,

["dataRecordingEnabled"] = true,

["debugModeEnabled"] = false,

["playbackDelay"] = 0,

["profilingPeriod"] = 600,

["recordClientsSessionsEnabled"] = false,

},

["UH-1H"] = {

["UH1HCockpitShake"] = 50,

["UHRudderTrimmer"] = false,

["UHTrackIRAiming"] = true,

["UHTrimmingMethod"] = 0,

["autoPilot"] = true,

["weapTooltips"] = false,

},

},

["sound"] = {

["GBreathEffect"] = true,

["cockpit"] = 69,

["gui"] = 100,

["headphones"] = 69,

["hear_in_helmet"] = false,

["music"] = 0,

["radioSpeech"] = true,

["subtitles"] = true,

["volume"] = 77,

["world"] = 65,

},

["views"] = {

["cockpit"] = {

["avionics"] = 3,

["mirrors"] = false,

["reflections"] = false,

},

},

}

Just going to put it out there. This is an ALPHA. There will be bugs. They will take time to fix. Those who expected more were being optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right but reading the pre-release folks VR accounts, this was the cats ass for VR. What happened?