Regarding DCS World 2.1 Release

Wags

• ED Team

Dear all,

Thank you all for your patience following the rather bumpy roll-out of the Early Access ALPHA of DCS World 2.1.

As many of you unfortunately encountered, we suffered some difficulties regarding the Module Updater. This has been traced back to the size of the download and the great number of people trying to access it at the same time (more so than the NTTR launch). We also found some errors in the Module Update code which have since been addressed. We are very aware of this issue and are taking steps to ensure that this never be repeated. We sincerely apologize for any frustration and inconvenience this may have caused.

As an Early Access ALPHA, please be prepared for a lot of bugs and missing features as this is the nature of the beast. The primary function of the Alpha is to gain feedback from a much larger installed base than we currently have at our disposal. This is particularly true for testing the software against the multitude of hardware configurations out there. We welcome all constructive feedback to bring 2.1 swiftly to beta and final release. All of your feedback is being heard and noted, it is helping enormously to prioritize the development tasks and we greatly appreciate your assistance with this effort.

In the coming weeks, we will be rolling out updates that include many new features including more assets pack units, fixes, and adjustments (like lighting) to improve the quality of the product. We look forward to your partnership on this endeavor.

A few notes:

1. Please remove / do not install non-licensed modifications to 2.1. We have seen several cases where such modifications are “breaking” 2.1.

2. Adjust your settings accordingly to your system. Unless you have a bleeding edge system, please do not just set all graphics settings to maximum and expect high performance. Note that several of the Options / Settings have higher values than earlier DCS versions. As such, settings results between versions are not equal.

3. A key aspect of moving to the new deferred lighting and PBR system is also updating all of the objects and cockpits. This process is far from complete and will be an on-going process during the ALPHA and BETA stages.

4. We are aware of the brightness and contrast issues with the new lighting engine and they will be addressed.

5. If you are using VR, please do not run DCS World using Windows Creator, Game mode.

6. If using Deferred Shading, you may wish to set your MSAA and Anisotropic values to zero, and instead enable these only through your graphics cards settings manager.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Wags, very much appreciated.

A bumpy release but Normandy really is stunning, and worth all your hard work. My only gripe is the VR performance, with the same settings but using trackir it runs like butter, very smooth with 90 + fps, on the Oculus it stutters but is playable by tweaking the settings. But once you fly VR there's no going back!, I'm sure you guys will nail this and get it running smooth.

Overall for me a good ALPHA release, and look forward to all the improvements to come.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

:thumbup:

It is looking really, really good!

Like others, I too in VR am having some difficulties in the performance department. Hopefully as things progress some optimizations can be made to help in that department.

It is so nice to now finally be flying the Spitfire over Normandy! Being one that was in on the original Kickstarter project, I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Thank you guys so much for all your support of that project and seeing it through!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have AA set to 4x and AF to 16x and deferred shading ON, and no problem with blue brightness, the cockpit is noticeable with a lot of brightness but I do not see blue glow in cockpit or in the distance. Some stuttering appears from time to time, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with this version, considering it's alpha state.

Guys appreciate the effort future is looking great. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

My thanks for the brilliant update. Really enjoying the map.

A few thoughts:

- As you've said, the level of expectation was very high regarding downloads. Might be worth a statement at the point of the next release just to re-iterate that things might take a while

- I did use the mod to manage my downloads seemed to work well. Not sure if that's possible to integrate

- Agreed ref the minor issues on performance and lighting. Again, worth re-iterating next time that things will potentially need tweaks post go live.

- I don't remember seeing any statements during rollout on timescales. Could be worth adding those in next time, particularly so if they're being done by regions.

Personally I'm really really happy with 2.1. Some additional management of expectations next time might assist with some of the noise on the forums.

Please pass on my thanks to the developers.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Impossible to force the MSAA and Anisotropic with Nvidia manager in DCS World 2.1 ! Is there a way to do so ?

MSAA causes great drop of FPS.

Itself MSAA in the Nvidia panel cannot be under DX11 force. Only internal 2x enhance the need for Sparse Grid Supersampling method. You can set the in-game antialising off and in control panel for Nvidia to turn on FXAA which is currently 2.1 smooth method.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

@Wags:

I have two suggestions to help users (they seemed to help me maintain stable FPS) that you could maybe add to your OP:

- Make sure to download the latest Nvidia graphics drivers (obviously if you have an Nvidia card). It seemed to make quite a bit of difference in my case.

- When using the graphics control panel manager to set anisotropic filtering and antialiasing, make sure to hit ALT + ENTER to enable true fullscreen, when entering the cockpit. If you don't hit ALT + ENTER, these settings will not override the graphics settings that are set in game.

Thanks.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Wonderful piece of work with the Normandy map. Looking forward to see a finished product :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Of course with an alpha there is more to be done, but it's a great step forward. Thanks for all your hard work!

And thanks Wags for laying it out, really appreciate the communication.

Great Performance Now!

Thx for this post Wags! Turning those off in the sim's settings and running the MFAA and AA from the Nvidia Control panel fixed all my issues with performance. My rig is pretty long in the tooth (processor and Mobo are about 7 years old) but I get great performance now, better than I did in 1.5. I have most of the settings turned all the way up (see attached). I still have to hit right alt + enter to keep from getting micro stutters but otherwise I'm in the 60 fps range now and its very smooth. Normandy looks great!

Screen_170528_182323.thumb.jpg.e84da73871acfab9559b68c5c3cdfa9e.jpg

Edited by Azazel

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thx for this post Wags! Turning those off in the sim's settings and running the MFAA and AA from the Nvidia Control panel fixed all my issues with performance. My rig is pretty long in the tooth (processor and Mobo are about 7 years old) but I get great performance now, better than I did in 1.5. I have most of the settings turned all the way up (see attached). I still have to hit right alt + enter to keep from getting micro stutters but otherwise I'm in the 60 fps range now and its very smooth. Normandy looks great!

Wow with those settings and a GTX980 I would expect and average of 5FPS!

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

If I am correct those of us who had the Alpha for a few weeks now, what was released Friday is what we already have. My version in DCS for the Alpha is 2.1.0.4772, and it did not update.

The build for backers was a seperate one. You have to update/install the 2.1 Open Alpha

Current version is 2.1.0.5677.215

@Wags:

- Make sure to download the latest Nvidia graphics drivers (obviously if you have an Nvidia card). It seemed to make quite a bit of difference in my case.

- When using the graphics control panel manager to set anisotropic filtering and antialiasing, make sure to hit ALT + ENTER to enable true fullscreen, when entering the cockpit. If you don't hit ALT + ENTER, these settings will not override the graphics settings that are set in game.

Thanks.

Nope! neither effect on DCS no matter how and what I set in control panel nor effect by hitting Alt-Enter :(

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (8x 3.9GHz / 4.5GHz Turbo) | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon | 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 8GB MSI RTX2080Super GAMING X TRIO | 1000GB SAMSUNG 970-EVO Plus M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 | SSD 1000GB Crucial MX500 (560MB/s - 510MB/s) | TrackIR 5;

Modules: FC3, A10C, A10C II, Mig21Bis, F-16C Viper, FA-18C, JF-17 Thunder, L-39, CArms, Hawk, Aviojet C101, F-86 Sabre, Mig 15, Razbam M2KC, F-5E Tiger, Viggen, Spitfire, Mustang, Dora, BF-109, AV-8B Harrier, Persian Gulf, FA-18C, F-16 Viper, JF-17 Thunder, F-14B TomCattiCat, SuperCarrier, Nevada, Syria, Mariann-Island, South-Atlantic, Channel-Map, Normandy Map + WWII Assets Pack

I am happy with how this map turned out good job all.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

• ED Team

One of the most important changes we have made is the addition of a gamma slider. Depending on a user's monitor, the image can look quite different. We hope this new option will allow you all to adjust the image to your preference.

Screen_170601_104020.thumb.jpg.dc87732ce607ec2ed95d292cdd7fc690.jpg

Screen_170601_104214.thumb.jpg.bbed5e660729ca135c339db8d8376c57.jpg

• Like 1

• ED Team
One of the most important changes we have made is the addition of a gamma slider. Depending on a user's monitor, the image can look quite different. We hope this new option will allow you all to adjust the image to your preference.

Yes! More controls, more better!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Nice pics! Great idea, let people adjust to their own heart's desire! Looking forward to it!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria