Spitfire ground handling updated in 2.1?

Spitfire Mirrow

2.1 Normandy, the spitfire Mirror had no reflective surface, the mirror frame is there but the glass mirror is missing. TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

Is it possible you might have take-off assistance reset to being 100% or on? I thought I had it off, but saw it was 100% in the "special options" for the Spitfire. Switching back to 0 brought back all the joyous jeopardy of this twitchy bird that we all know and love ...

I thought of that, and checked. Still at 0.

But I went back and set it to 100, did a testflight, set it back to 0 followed by another testflight.

Nope! Takeoff assistance is definitely at 0.

The Spit definitely feels more predictable on the ground, than before. Sure, she can still be provoked into groundloops and other nasty behaviour. Feels better, I think.

Edited by Goblin

Maybe related to this I commented on Normandy map thread? Haven't seen anybody else talking about it to my knowledge.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3152000&postcount=2620

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

ODD. It seems good in Normandy, but I can't seem to get it to behave at all in the NTTR takeoff quickstart. If I could get 2.1 to run for more than 10 minutes without it locking up I would investigate.

The Alpha version of FMOptions.lua certainly hasn't been changed with regards to ground handling, undercarriage or any other things that affect ground handling, compared to the release version.

It is much easier to takeoff on the Normandy map, it follows because you are not taking off from a concrete runway, the sideslip friction on the wheels will be much less than on concrete.

Then again, I quickly mastered taking off in the Spit even back in 1.5.

Weirdly though, Im having more problems taking off in the 109 compared to before, but the Spitfire is tame by comparison.

Landings are a different matter though, I just need to get used to these new runway configurations and shorter lengths I guess.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I've tested both Normandy and NTTR, and taking off from concrete is perhaps a bit more unforgiving, or is it the fact that Nevada is at a higher pressure altitude and you need more speed and the rudder is less effective?

Either way, I feel I succeed at every takeoff and landing now. I certainly didn't pre 2.1.

But, like I said... Maybe I just learned how to do it right..?

the rudder of both the huey and the spit feel different in 2 than 1.5.

i noticed this before 2.1 so its a 2 engine thing.

you need to use more pedal.

which actually makes the spit less twitchy.

but means i dont use enough pedal in the huey..

it is probably like this in all the aircraft?

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Could it be that your AXIS Curves are no longer working the way you expect? If you used any negative numbers, they will now not work since the minimum setting for a curve is zero, and you can't go into negative numbers without using a custom (ie lumpy) curve.

I've never used negative curve values, only positive, and they are the same. And I only use a slight curve of around 10, I believe.

Anyway, I thought the Spit was a bit too nervous on the ground before, but now it behaves much more like I would expect. Now I feel I can counteract the expected movements.

Of course, I have no idea how a real Spitfire behaves, only that it's a very powerful taildragger, and that it can be a handful.

It still needs the correct flightcontrol input in relation to power and speed, but now I can correct it, and even overcorrect, without being severly punished, like I feel I was before.

Was just curious to hear if anybody else noticed something different about it.

Yeah I notice the Spit seems to be a little better behaved on the ground in 2.1 - at least at Normandy.

I appear to have little better control of my take off runs and landing roll outs.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Uh, my experiences on NTTR are opposite. Out of 8 take off attempts only 3 last were barely successful (sloppy as F), and only because I was using no more than 6 lbs of boost. It's almost as If I was learning to fly the damn thing again... Assists at zero, as that's the first thing I do after each update anyway. Don't own Normandy to compare, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There's a major difference in design of the landinggear, when comparing the Mustang and the Spitfire. The Spit has a very narrow track, which makes it much less stable in yaw and roll, on ground. Add to that the Mustang differential toe brakes and steerable, and lockable, tailwheel...

In short, the Spitfire should be a lot harder to control on the ground.

In the last 1.5 patch update, I was and remain convinced the ground handling of the Spitfire changed for the better.

In 2.1 now, I think I feel this improvement carried over .... not sure that there has been incremental improvement added directly in 2.1 though!

It's very subjective and difficult to say for sure.

Get too twitchy on the power and it'll ground loop still on you like all tail draggers will but stay nice and gentle and you're golden.

Landing/taking off on grass is also something I am seeing more and more of now with folks reporting better experiences (maybe due to the additional induced ground damping from the grass.)

Of course, with more seat time, there is a measure of getting more used to it also at play here.

OK, piling in here to agree with the sentiment of the post. I found it so much easier i went to check that T/O assistance hadn't reverted, and it had not. With zero assistance it felt as if it was actually on. Much less twitchy in yaw and very stable to take off in comparison.

Previously in NTTR only a few days back the P51 felt like it was on rails compared to the Spit. I need to go back to NTTR to test if the difference is entirely in the ground surface type, until then I cannot really do a comparison, but I like that it's easier anyway. Didn;t say easy, just that it's night and day different so far to NTTR 2.0 ground handling.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

It is certainly much easier than ever but I think the limitations are what every taildrager suffers which is that you can't see what is in front of you so you either zigzag or use external aids (iirc they used assistance and instructions).

But now is much much easier to handle and doesn't feel as light as before where you would dip your wing down at the slightest turn.

DCS Discord community - https://discord.gg/U8aqzVT

Feels more how I imagine it feels in real life. :)

As a side note, I can also park the Fw-190 by slamming on the brake with the tail swinging around - which for some reason didn't work so well before 2.1, either. So maybe some friction values were changed on the ground?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Are you guys talking about take-off and landing difference between 1.5 and Nevada, or 1.5 and Normandy?

Im having a lot of trouble landing in Normandy for some reason, even though I was pretty confident in 1.5.

In my opinion it's very subjective, for someone used to landing on tarmac, landing on these dirt fields feels very different and dare I say it difficult. Though I will concede that take-off has become much easier.

I think it's down to the ground surface and not something that is specific to the Spit. Because I've noticed the changes with the 109 as well.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.