[REPORTED]Trim axis problem

Reflected

• 1 month later...
I have this problem with the 109:

Whichever axis I use for trim settings I get to full trim before I reach 70 (/30) % of the axis. As if DCS ignored the upper and lower 30% available. This makes fine adjustments very difficult.

Join the club! I have always used the slider on my TM WH throttle for elevator trim on the Bf-109, and initially it it used the full 100% of the axis. I think the problem started with 1.5 but I'm not sure. I reported the bug a long time ago, but unfortunately ED does not acknowldege bugs nor commits to fixing them. This frustrates me as I have, for quite a few years in my career, been involved in software bug tracking and of course we worked with the developers and they had to commit to ETA dates for fixing them.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Join the club! I have always used the slider on my TM WH throttle for elevator trim on the Bf-109, and initially it it used the full 100% of the axis. I think the problem started with 1.5 but I'm not sure. I reported the bug a long time ago, but unfortunately ED does not acknowldege bugs nor commits to fixing them. This frustrates me as I have, for quite a few years in my career, been involved in software bug tracking and of course we worked with the developers and they had to commit to ETA dates for fixing them.

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. Things like this keep me from buying the Focke Wulf... :(

I don't understand? Which trim curve did you set to 17% saturation? I cannot see how this axis would work with a 17% saturation.

Also to clarify my view:

1. the trim axis uses the physical range of roughly 0 - 70% of the slider range. It does not lose the lower 30% as you state in your first post. The axis is apparently programmed as if it had a range of -6 - +6, while the actual trim range is only -6 to +2 and therefore ignores the upper 33% of the slider range.

2. this does not make the Bf-109 less flyable than any other plane. In fact most planes don't even allow the use of a slider for the elevator trim. Even with this bug, trimming the Bf-109 in action is still quicker than on most other planes.

3. You said: "Things like this keep me from buying the Focke Wulf...". The FW-190 does not have any such issue. I have it from the very beginning. it's one of the best modules I know, and the flight manual is very good.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

User curve for Bf-109K trim wheel

I have investigated a bit more, and what I found seems to confirm my theory:

The trim wheel axis is programmed as if it had a range of -6 to +6 while the actual trim mechanism has only -6 to +2 and therefore ignores any input value above 66.7%.

Based on this I have come up with a user curve which translates the full range of the slider to input values from 0 to 67%.

I attach an Excel sheet with the user curve values and the logic I used.

In case somebody cannot open the Excel file, here are the calculated user curve values:

0 33.3%

1 40%

2 46.7%

3 53.3%

4 60%

5 66.7%

6 73.3%

7 80%

8 86.7%

9 93.3%

10 100%

With these values I have the full range of the slider control available.

Note:

1. in the tune panel, "slider" is TRUE and "invert" is FALSE.

2. I did this in version 1.5.6

Trim_Wheel_User_Curve_20170710.zip

LeCuvier

• 8 months later...

Trim Axis Problem persists!

This problem is still not fixed. While it's not the biggest problem in DCS World, it should be fairly easy to correct (it used to work ok when I started flying the Bf-109!). The work-around with the curve is clunky.

Can we get the team's attention to this?

LeCuvier

• ED Team

Hi all

I have reported this issue.

However as mentioned it is low priority currently

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

I have reported this issue.

However as mentioned it is low priority currently

thanks

Thanks!

LeCuvier