Global map?

Dany90

Hello,

I've been searching the forum for this kind of topic with no success and here I am with a question :)

In earlier versions of DCS or Lockon when exploring the map with free camera there was day night cycle as I remember, now there isn't.

so the question is wouldn't be better to stick to a globe model for mapping so that new maps are just added to the globe?

something like outerra

Thanks!

Sorry if this topic is already discussed

:)

And this will happen again and again and again...

They're teasing you, buddy.

There have been many discussions about a global map for DCS but that ain't gonna happen.

There are many technical complications like who's gonna detail the whole world, lower performance, a big modification to the graphics engine... etc

And at the end of the day, DCS is a military sim and it's better off with specific conflict maps like all the other military sims in the past.

If you want ferry flight, you might want to navigate in P3D and when you land either in Nevada or Caucasus, close the sim and start DCS in those maps

Sent from my SM-A500M using Tapatalk

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

And at the end of the day, DCS is a military sim and it's better off with specific conflict maps like all the other military sims in the past.

We're in 2017 and so it could be the time to go finally forward and leave the past behind.

5-10 years ago it was okay when an ego shooter had some sandbox-maps or a car racing game just a set of small circuits. But in the meantime an open, living and huge map is standard in nearly all games where it is applicable and reasonable. And in EVERY flight sim a "whole world" is very reasonable.. Even ego-shooters are coming with a huge free-world which offers so much more freedom and tactics.

So in 2003 the Caucasus map was just fine and state-of-the-art. But 15 years later still the same map size which just allows some minutes of afterburning is only "lol" (and to justify it with "hardware/engine limitations").

Despite of that, so much weapon systems have an effective range up to 1000 km and more. They just can't be really integrated. Additionally, in very few air conflict scenarios it's happening that the target point is just 50 miles away from the airport... in reality a Tu-95 is flying far over the whole continent before reaching its target... So this has to be simulated in a military combat sim which wants to be "as real as it gets". And yes, it could be boring to just fly thousands of miles with autopilot to finally get in combat.. but this game is a SIMULATION of the reality and no arcade-game which just picks out the "exciting action scenes". That's one of the most differences between simmers and arcade-players...

Edited by tarracta

As 7rooper said above.

There have been many discussions about a global map for DCS but that ain't gonna happen.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: