Fun with the Spit in Normandy

Xxx

A little straffing run on Carpiquet pre D Day!

The radiators blew after 2 minutes at combat power. (2900 RPM, 8 boost), in spite of rad shutters manually wide open? Also, as we know the rear view mirror is bugged.

I did not use Deferred Shading, so AA x4 and Aniso at x16. These are in game settings, exactly the same as I use in Caucuses 1.56.

I find using the Nvidia control panel either makes things worse (stutters).

The radio voices are from my Wingman radio mod on User Files.:smilewink:

Tally Ho!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I can tell you why you blew your radiator. That long vertical climb followed by a stall. You had almost no airflow so it does not matter how open you made your radiator it won't do anything without air moving through it.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

I can tell you why you blew your radiator. That long vertical climb followed by a stall. You had almost no airflow so it does not matter how open you made your radiator it won't do anything without air moving through it.

Good point! Well made!

However, the overall lack of cooling at higher boost does result in the need for very careful and constant monitoring of the coolant temps. That and the sudden high speed stalls make for a high stress combat!:smilewink:

Now flying the Mustang in the high power region has no such worries.She just trucks along in high boost with temps in the red?

As for the 109 and 190, they are dream engines. I mean full boost, MT on and those temps are pegged at high with the engine blasting out sweet full power notes!

Must be that simulated auto prop pitch keeping the engine sweet? Certainly, of the four WW2 kites, the German machines present almost carefree dogfighting at Max boost!

If the 2 minutes at 120c could be tweaked a little, to say 5 minutes before the kettle boils dry, then combat in the Spit would be more rewarding.

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Like Maulkin said, you are hanging on your prop in the vertical. If you go vertical like that, make sure you go with enough speed. You were about 220 MPh from what I saw in the video before you pulled up, which is far too low. Also, you have to reduce the throttle when going straight up like that in the Spit, she won't take that for long, in fact she wont take that for more than a few seconds. When stalling in the vertical your throttle has to be pulled right back, or your engine will blow. Everytime!

It's not that you can't do those manevuers in the Spit you can, but you have to rely on momentum, and not engine power.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Must be that simulated auto prop pitch keeping the engine sweet? Certainly, of the four WW2 kites, the German machines present almost carefree dogfighting at Max boost!

If the 2 minutes at 120c could be tweaked a little, to say 5 minutes before the kettle boils dry, then combat in the Spit would be more rewarding.

Regards

David

German engineering at its finest. Sure, they could tweak settings and make the Merlin less prone to cooking up, or increase the radiator effectiveness, but that would be cheating wouldn't it? I mean we love DCS for realism right? Do we want a realistic simulator, or do we want War Thunder?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

German engineering at its finest. Sure, they could tweak settings and make the Merlin less prone to cooking up, or increase the radiator effectiveness, but that would be cheating wouldn't it? I mean we love DCS for realism right? Do we want a realistic simulator, or do we want War Thunder?

Well put!

I still think the Merlin was not quite that fickle with a boost of 8 for brief moments when radiator airflow was reduced in a dogfight. Cheating, no definitely not.

Seemingly, for composing missions in Normandy, it would be prudent to have a flight of 4 Spits v 2 109's or 190's. The odds of a 1v1 Spit victory on 109/190 with AI super pilots, is a slim one. The 109/190 can Boom and Zoom with ease. The mk9 Spit just doesn't have the speed.

Interestingly, in the Historic accounts from Bunyap, many encounters with 109/190's were brief affairs. The 109/190 chosing to run, rather than engage in a prolonged fight. They knew,as we do in DCS, that the Spit couldn't chase them! Victories coming when the other guy made a mistake in ACM.

So the question is, how to simulate this in a mission, using AI? We all know the AI go "at it" until they either die, run out of ammo, or fuel?

Interesting times ahead!:D

Regards

David

Edited by Accipiter
Typo

To make matters worse if it was an AI flying your Spit instead of you, they would have been able to hang on the prop all day long. ;)

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Imagine if they modeled the 25 Lbs boost that was added to late War Mk IX. Spits. People would be blowing engines left, right and center :)

It would still be a pretty nice thing to have though

However we would be able to give those pesky 109s a good run for two minutes at least...

I can't wait for the mk 14 to charge onto the scene :D

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

With the 109 you can basically open the throttle all the way and not even think about it... I'm a little incredulous that the Merlin was so much easier to overheat and damage.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Maybe it's not the Merlin? Maybe the cooling system on the Spit was really awful? Then again, the Mk IX was built for high altitude dogfighting. At those altitudes the cooling system was probably much more efficient.

Although I still think the Merlin can last longer than 2 minutes at a boost of 8, at sea level, in a climb. Here are some hair raising numbers. What happens every second?

In that one second, the V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engine would have gone through 60 revolutions, with each of the 48 valves slamming open and closed 30 times. The twenty four spark plugs have fired 720 times. Each piston has traveled a total of 60 feet in linear distance at an average speed of 41 miles per hour, with the direction of movement reversing 180° after every 6 inches. Three hundred and sixty power pulses have been transmitted to the crankshaft, making 360 sonic booms as the exhaust gas is expelled from the cylinder with a velocity exceeding the speed of sound. The water pump impeller has spun 90 revolutions, sending 4 gallons of coolant surging through the engine and radiators. The oil pumps have forced 47 fluid ounces, roughly one-third gallon, of oil through the engine, oil cooler, and oil tank, scavenging heat and lubricating the flailing machinery. The supercharger rotor has completed 348 revolutions, its rim spinning at Mach 1, forcing 4.2 pounds or 55 ft³ of ambient air into the combustion chambers under 3 atmospheres of boost pressure. Around 9 fluid ounces of high octane aviation fuel, 7,843 BTUs of energy, has been injected into the carburetor along with 5.3 fluid ounces of methanol/water anti-detonant injection fluid. Perhaps 1/8 fluid ounce of engine oil has been either combusted or blown overboard via the crankcase breather tube. Over 1.65 million foot pounds of work have been done, the equivalent of lifting a station wagon to the top of the Statue of Liberty.

In that one second, the hard-running Merlin has turned the propeller through 25 complete revolutions, with each of the blade tips having arced through a distance of 884 feet at a rotational velocity of 0.8 Mach. Fifteen fluid ounces of spray bar water has been atomized and spread across the face of the radiator to accelerate the transfer of waste heat from the cooling system to the atmosphere.

No wonder the Merlin sounds like a soul in torment!

Regards

David

• Like 1

Although I still think the Merlin can last longer than 2 minutes at a boost of 8, at sea level, in a climb.

Of course it can. Just keep the speed up. (Translation: don't climb too hard)

Although I still think the Merlin can last longer than 2 minutes at a boost of 8, at sea level, in a climb. Here are some hair raising numbers. What happens every second?

In that one second, the V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engine would have gone through 60 revolutions, with each of the 48 valves slamming open and closed 30 times. The twenty four spark plugs have fired 720 times. Each piston has traveled a total of 60 feet in linear distance at an average speed of 41 miles per hour, with the direction of movement reversing 180° after every 6 inches. Three hundred and sixty power pulses have been transmitted to the crankshaft, making 360 sonic booms as the exhaust gas is expelled from the cylinder with a velocity exceeding the speed of sound. The water pump impeller has spun 90 revolutions, sending 4 gallons of coolant surging through the engine and radiators. The oil pumps have forced 47 fluid ounces, roughly one-third gallon, of oil through the engine, oil cooler, and oil tank, scavenging heat and lubricating the flailing machinery. The supercharger rotor has completed 348 revolutions, its rim spinning at Mach 1, forcing 4.2 pounds or 55 ft³ of ambient air into the combustion chambers under 3 atmospheres of boost pressure. Around 9 fluid ounces of high octane aviation fuel, 7,843 BTUs of energy, has been injected into the carburetor along with 5.3 fluid ounces of methanol/water anti-detonant injection fluid. Perhaps 1/8 fluid ounce of engine oil has been either combusted or blown overboard via the crankcase breather tube. Over 1.65 million foot pounds of work have been done, the equivalent of lifting a station wagon to the top of the Statue of Liberty.

In that one second, the hard-running Merlin has turned the propeller through 25 complete revolutions, with each of the blade tips having arced through a distance of 884 feet at a rotational velocity of 0.8 Mach. Fifteen fluid ounces of spray bar water has been atomized and spread across the face of the radiator to accelerate the transfer of waste heat from the cooling system to the atmosphere.

No wonder the Merlin sounds like a soul in torment!

Regards

David

That was.....poetic! :)

--Maulkin