Weird changes in Spit behaviour - DCS 2.1 Normandy

There are so many things happening with the Spit that didn't happen in 1.5.

Examples are:

1) engine can catch fire easily when sitting on runway cold start. It can catch fire if I am just priming and hand pumping, although maybe after a failed start attempt.

2) engine can catch fire quite easily in flight with rad temp going though the roof. Although I'm impressed by the new flame graphics - especially when it spreads through the cockpit - it's not really something I want to see!

3) Spit goes into a heavy shaking and then stall in flight very easily. Airspeed can drop very easily in what I would call normal climb conditions.

4) don't seem to be able to pull the same turns/dives/climbs as before, and black out happens a lot easier in 2.1.

I am flying in the same way I have been for months now, and none of these things happened in 1.5

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

That's why it is called ALPHA..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Useful contribution to the discussion!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

We all noticed changes in some modules like Dora or Mustang or K4.. From my past experince, all these 'discussions' mean nothing until the stable version is release and only then. Anyways, Spitfire is still an early release, not like the other modules I mentioned above. Hence the changes in behaviour you've might experienced and you'll surely get with each update of the module.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Good grief, I know it's a alpha/beta release, I know there will be changes, etc.

This is a discussion forum!

Perhaps I'll stick to the Normandy discussions.

• ED Team
Yeah, I think we all get that it's an alpha.

Surely detailing what behavior seems abnormal is potentially useful for devs...?

The examples of abnormal behaviour for devs:

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

This is an ill considered reply. (aka, don't be an arse)

Players are often unsure if it is their flying, their own software or other factors (placebo effect, etc..) that causes flight models to "feel" or "seem" different. By posting their observations and suspicions on the forums they can sound out other players to see if anyone else has also noticed differences.

If they get confirmation, then it helps put their mind at ease that they aren't doing something wrong, or they haven't got some other conflict going on that could result in performace changes.

Also precisely BECAUSE it is in alpha, we are expected to raise issues for the devs to address. That's the whole point of an alpha release, to get feedback from the client-base before a fully polished release is anounced.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Unless you have hard evidence or real life data, just as Yo-Yo posted above, you're just spamming the forum with whinings and useless complainings..

• Like 2

Specs:

Settings:

Interesting. So, I guess my point 1) is correct modelling then!

This is an ill considered reply. (aka, don't be an arse)

Players are often unsure if it is their flying, their own software or other factors (placebo effect, etc..) that causes flight models to "feel" or "seem" different. By posting their observations and suspicions on the forums they can sound out other players to see if anyone else has also noticed differences.

If they get confirmation, then it helps put their mind at ease that they aren't doing something wrong, or they haven't got some other conflict going on that could result in performace changes.

Also precisely BECAUSE it is in alpha, we are expected to raise issues for the devs to address. That's the whole point of an alpha release, to get feedback from the client-base before a fully polished release is anounced.

Didn't think it needed saying, but well done, Phil. Spot on!

LOL Yo-Yo ... and well posted.

Nice to see the development in the Spitfire of the engine management side. These engines were sensitive and driving them full bore was never something reportedly possible for very long.

As for Stall characteristics, I've not tried / experienced one since myself. Will be interested to test this feedback for myself.

Blackout is a characteristic I enjoy having but it scares the hell out of me also so I am happy to know it is there yet I don't think I'll appreciate it one when it hits.

What I've been trying to do (with lower success last evening incidentally compared to previously) is ease on the stick as my view closes in and ride the transition.

I did have a 109 unable to get guns on me last night through multiple turns and he was a good pilot enough to be able to stay with me as I turned. (I am not very good but I can now turn well) I was focusing on riding the blackout to the limit whilst keeping altitude and talking in my wingman. I could do this, but if I push the stick forward, I seem to get a serious blackout ....subjectively speaking, it seems still a little to much .... I dunno.

if I push the stick forward, I seem to get a serious blackout ....subjectively speaking, it seems still a little to much .... I dunno.

Whilst wiaitng for 2.1, I played for an hour or two on the NTTR map. I noticed the neg-G effect in the spitfire was really nice. A movement through red-out to complete red-sceen and then unconcioussness. Then 2.1 came out.. and not I seem to be back to to the "sudden neg-G blackout" situation we had in earlier versions of the spit in 1.5.... dunno, might just be me.

Need to do some of that "controlled test with evidence" stuff....

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

....... Need to do some of that "controlled test with evidence" stuff....

Who, you? .. "controlled test with evidence stuff" .... pssssst .... oh yea, you do a lot of that on your youtube channel :lol:

Edited by JokerMan

Unless you have hard evidence or real life data, just as Yo-Yo posted above, you're just spamming the forum with whinings and useless complainings..

I don't share your confusion.

G6XLe1V.png

I don't share your confusion.

My confusion??? Perhaps you didn't understand me.. As I said before, this particular thread was a whining.. nothing more..

Specs:

Settings:

My confusion??? Perhaps you didn't understand me.. As I said before, this particular thread was a whining.. nothing more..

You certainly have an interesting, unique way of misunderstanding the written word, don't you?