Flak 88?

Not available yet, but will be added in the future (I'm assuming once they have working AAA and black puffs of flak appropriately modeled with damage modeling). No one knows quite when this will be yet. Just as the map is in early alpha, so is the asset pack.

yep... been surprised too, was assuming it will be there for release as they've been showing them in their videos. Well, I guess we gonna have to wait for quite a long time for this map to work properly anyway with all the work they have to do on light and shadows effects that are totally up...

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity

For the time being, you can simulate by using the Flak script. Since there are no air defense units available yet, you could just substitute those units with thinner armored panzerI tanks - I believe an 88 battery was 4 guns, so use 4 tanks to substitute. Just add a trigger to stop the script from running once the simulated 88's are dead. In my hands, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't in 2.1, but it is a temporary solution while we wait for future units.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I have to admit that I was a little panicked when I saw how little there actually was in the assets pack.

I just figured that things would come along as they were completed.

Has anyone tried to kill the German armor yet? Tiger is immune to everything that the P-51 can toss at it except for the 5oo pounders. Rockets seem to do little to no damage at all. The German armor is very tough on all of it's tanks. I wonder if this is just that the DM needs work or if it's this way on purpose.

The guns on the p51 pretty much bounce off German armor, and I've been quite inaccurate with rockets or bombs. The spit was also pretty ineffective against the German artillery unit - direct hits with the .303's did nothing. I believe the zerg mass production of the M4 Sherman and the tank busting ability of the P47 during the war enabled allied success during the war against German armor. German armor during WWII was tough and pretty much superior on all fronts until the Russian T34, so I'm not surprised how resilient the German units are. I've tested a few armor scenarios, and M4 Sherman gets torn to pieces by anything, save for the panzer1's. Tigers and Panther's one hit pretty much everything - makes sense. the M4 Firefly does well vs the German tanks, which is expected given the British fitted 17pound main gun. I put a single TigerII (King Tiger) up against 10x M4 Sherman's, and the Tiger II had them all in flames. Lol

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Glad it's not just me being a rubbish shot. I got the trucks to burn, set up an airfield with 109/190's, darn siure I hit them with the spit, nothing, not even smoke, they looked pristine.

Edit mission, A-10c, yep they blew up then! So the static aircraft are armour plated. Big Newy mentioned elsewhere that damage models need some work. But it's still good fun

I have dropped bombs and rocket and been effective however accuracy may be my issue.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

The guns on the p51 pretty much bounce off German armor, and I've been quite inaccurate with rockets or bombs. The spit was also pretty ineffective against the German artillery unit - direct hits with the .303's did nothing. I believe the zerg mass production of the M4 Sherman and the tank busting ability of the P47 during the war enabled allied success during the war against German armor. German armor during WWII was tough and pretty much superior on all fronts until the Russian T34, so I'm not surprised how resilient the German units are. I've tested a few armor scenarios, and M4 Sherman gets torn to pieces by anything, save for the panzer1's. Tigers and Panther's one hit pretty much everything - makes sense. the M4 Firefly does well vs the German tanks, which is expected given the British fitted 17pound main gun. I put a single TigerII (King Tiger) up against 10x M4 Sherman's, and the Tiger II had them all in flames. Lol

Actually some these are myths.

While I am admittedly a fan of German vehicles, they were actually inferior to their rivals until mid-war on many fronts.

Pz IV only got really decent by H model, or may be G model. Pz III was mostly a dead end already fairly early on. Sure Tigers, Panthers and Tiger II were fearsome, but they made a sliver of Wehrmacht armored force. And even they weren't entirely invincible. They also suffered some technical/reliability problems.

Pz IV and StuG were the mainstay pf German armor. Late Pz IV versions had up to 80mm armor that is ticker than its enemies but unlike the Sherman and T-34 it had no sloping what so ever, and weren't particularly hard to penetrate for most guns. StuG were mostly better protected, but they had no turret, limiting their versatility.

M4 Sherman is actually a better tank than the T-34 in some respects. Its frontal protection is actually better, both the turret and hull, standard guns on both perform relatively similar but the Sherman had at least a primitive type of stabilization. If we look at up-gunned versions, US 76mm and British 17 pounder guns had considerably better penetration and accuracy than 85mm gun on T-34/85. Early T-34 turrets were so narrow they gave no working space to crew, so the 76mm T-34 had a worse rate of fire than most other tanks, including the ones with heavier shells like its successor T-34/85.

So, many of these vehicles from both sides are surrounded in myths that exaggerate both their vices and virtues.

I thought the Sherman was a tin can with paper for armour, but looking objectively I now think it is one of the most well rounded and well designed tanks of WW2.

And as much as I still like German tanks, they weren't all that superior to Allied vehicles, in fact majority of them actually were kind of inferior.

In games/sims we tend to pit Tiger and Tiger IIs against zerg rush Allied tanks, and in that case it can indeed be like a zerg rush as these could penetrate Shermans and T-34s even frontally from a fairly long distance, while shrugging off hits from them at those ranges. But when pitting them against more common German vehicles it isn't so one sided anymore.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script