Building a new rig for LOBS and Vista

I'm now building a new system for the next level...

I've got a question and I've been all over the Internet and haven't been able to get an answer..

I'm going with an intel Core 2 Duo E6600 with an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard ...

This board by the way for some reason is very hard to find right now....

I did finally order it from Mwave and they do have it in stock, so it should arrive sometime this week ....

Well I haven removed the processor from the plastic yet (I don't want to take a chance on damaging it)...

So I had a look at the instructions which by the way are not very detailed...

IT just doesn't explain if I'm going to need to apply thermal past or is there actually a pad that's been applied to the back of the CPU...

Could someone that's already installed one of these please enlighten me as to whats going on ....:detective_2:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Guest IguanaKing

Are you using the stock cooler that comes with the processor then? If so, I recommend ditching that and getting a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or something from Zalman that has a 120mm fan. The Intel HSF is just a noisy POS, and the thermal interface material is included on the back of the HSF, that's why they don't give you instructions. Whatever HSF you choose, and this is something Intel won't tell you, except buried in some engineering document(which is actually where I found this info), be sure to clean the heat spreader on the CPU before mounting the HSF. This is best done with a Q-tip and some denatured alcohol or a Xylene-based product such as "Goof Off". Invariably, you end up with a small fingerprint on the top of the CPU, and that finger oil turns into a solvent for the thermal interface material at high temperature. So, clean the top of the CPU before applying the paste and the HSF, and you should be fine. Seriously though, ditch the stock Intel HSF.

I'm sure the experts will join in soon but as far as I know the RETAIL CORE2 DUO comes with this gooey round stuff on the CPU fan that sorta looks like a pad, but it's like silly putty. To be honest I don't remember if i was on the CPU or the FAN heatsink but I am pretty sure it was on my heatsink\fan. When you put the heatsink fan on the CPU it kinda mashes that silly putty stuff and you should be all set. At least my fan had it. I had the same concern you do. The instructions were not very clear, but as far as I know you don't need to add thermal grease to the RETAIL CPU\HEATSINK\FAN. My has been running fine since like August, but I thought the same thing you did as well when I built mine. I mean, if your going to OC maybe a name brand thermal grease might help out but like I said you shouldn't need it to run at default speeds. cheers

fs

i can't really tell you about the chip, but if you are going to build a new rig, be sure to get over 1 gig of ram because vista seems to take up like 512 mb, and that leaves like only 512 for lock on, so i recommend getting at least 2 gig. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks bro, I know what you mean, I've heard the same thing.. I'm not sure but i think if you have only 1 gig of ram you can only run the Vista basic, with 2 gigs you can run the premium edition???

So anyway I have Corsair XMS 2 GB DDR2 twin 2X Matched Memory Pair, it has the Platinum Heat spreader with the green led's on the top.. :yes:

Iguana : I was thinking along those lines as well did you checkout this site http://www.frostytech.com they listed the ZalmanCNPS9700 as the best fan that they ever tested.. :smilewink:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Bear in mind that if you plan on installing the 64bit version of Vista that the drivers for many things aren't available yet... You can get around these issues and install anyway with the 32bit version like you used to be able to in XP, but not with x64...

:cry:

So far My Track IR 4 doesnt work at all as the driver isn't signed by MS.

Saitek X52 and Pro Flight pedals work, but the programming software doesn't.

But, Lock On runs sweet after you install the new StarForce driver

http://www.star-force.com/protection/users

Natural Point are working on getting the driver signed, but I wouldn't expect it this year...

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=19519&an=0&page=0#Post19519

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, while I'm waiting for parts to arrive that are needed to start building my next system, I decided to run the Windows Upgrade Advisor on my old system, and found the same listing that you mentioned regarding Natural Point, It seems that Windows Vista has no information listed for TrackIR 4 ...

Hopefully Natural Point will get this sorted out before Jan. 20th 2007..

There were simular issues with the release FSX beta, and it took some before I was able to use my device in that simulator...

Another device thats not yet recognized is my Creative X-Fi Audio processor, this is another thing I really hate to have to do without in the next system generation..

On the good side and I know that this is very controversial, is the fact that My Cougar HOTAS is recognized, I know a lot of guys in this world were very concerned about this myself included, seeing as I just spent about 1K getting this controller system optimized to my likeing.... WHOOOOOH!!!!

Things here are really becomming quite interesting indeed..... :megalol:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Dude just make your PC VISTA ready, and keep XP for a while longer. Youll run into loads of issues. And all that for using as a guinea pig.

Im wayting for a mature quad core or an octo core for when vista is fixed, because it will be broken in many ways at launch. Specialy for games.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Dude just make your PC VISTA ready, and keep XP for a while longer. Youll run into loads of issues. And all that for using as a guinea pig.

Im wayting for a mature quad core or an octo core for when vista is fixed, because it will be broken in many ways at launch. Specialy for games.

Excellant idea "MY MAN"....

I know that your right about all of the problems that are about to erupt with the advent of this new operating system..

As far as upgradeing though, for me it was time.. I was haveing issues trying to run some of the newer simulators and the next generation of simulators is just around the bend, so it had to be done ..

Anyway this new processors should be ok for the new simulators and at least another year or two...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Yep, what he said wait a while.

Ok I'm going with Windows XP Pro with the Vista upgrade, I ordered it from Newegg, that was the best price...

And I also ordered a Zalman CNPS9500, This one got the best reviews on Frostytech...

I was informed that my MB has been shipped so it looks like I'm starting the build on the weekend... :thumbup:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

The is now a Vista 64bit driver for the Creative X-Fi card on Creative's site, Vista works fine on my rig...

Intel Duo Core X6800 Extreme

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

2GB Corsair XMS2-8500

ASUS 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2

Dell 2407WFP

ASUS - Ageia PhysX P1

Creative X-Fi

Saitek X52 Stick and Throttle

Saitek Pro Flight Pedals

NaturalPoint Track IR 4

Windows Vista 64bit - Ultimate

As mentioned previously though... Track IR 4 doesn't work, and there's no SST programming software for the Saitek equipment.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but the TIR issue should be sorted out though before the release of the Vista....

And it is good news to hear that the Creative card has a new driver...

I see that you have an Ageia Physx pi card installed in your system,you have very good taste in hardware..

But will this actually work now with the available software? Or have you installed this for future applications?

I must say that I'm very much interested in that card myself....

As it stands now I think were now going to have to wait now untill the software developers cach up to the newest hardware ....

I know that and again I've heard through the grapevine that Ed is considering writeing in dual core format, but this is most likely a long way off ..

I'm installing a 7900Gt GPU for now allthough I'm very much interested in the 8800, but I'm going to wait a little while to see how it stacks up with the release of DX10...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I did some work building servers for a friend of mine "off the books" ;) and he offered to buy me a new PC, so these are the parts I asked for.

The PhysX card was a gamble.... It was that or two physical ASUS 7950GX2's which would have made it a Quad SLI box, which was also unproven at the time of purchase. Not only that, but it wouldn't have had any slots available for additional cards then, so I jumped for the PhysX card as I think it has great potential. If that will be realised... Who knows, but I sure hope so, I remember how 3d games took off when the 3dfx cards first showed their heads, and maybe, just maybe... ;)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, this past weekend I was in Houston, on my way back, I stopped at Fry’s electronics and purchased C2D E6300. In the next five/six months I will be buying parts and sometime in May will assembly my (son) new machine. Just in time for Black Shark.

Next on the shopping list is Kandalf case …

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Themaltake's Kandalf case is sweet, that's what I have.

The only one I liked better was the LCS version, but you couldn't buy it in Europe when I was putting the system together.

You'll love it.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello, I'm currently running the same mobo and cpu as you and I thought you might enjoy this read. http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p1.html

(note, in this article they are using the new nvidia mobo chipset, the 680i, our boards are the nForce4 chipset which is the model prior to this latest one, but an interesting read nonetheless)

I also have the Zalman CNPS9500 and am extremely pleased with it, it was a breeze to install as well. My pc idles at 29 degrees celsius, and at full load reaches only 37 degrees, I do have the CM Stacker 830 which I'm finding to be an incredibly cool case. I think that you will be very happy with your hardware once you get it all up and running! Lomac runs silky smooth for me, reaching lows of only 30 fps, and typically sits at 50-90 during a full mission, but it frequently climbs to 100+ and I've often seen it at 200+ when flying on a clear day over the ocean. I do have my graphics tweaked and tailored to my preferences, but in my opinion it looks very nice (1440 x 900, 4 x AA & 8 x AF). I have a BFG 7900 gtoc, if you were curious.

-Razi