Normandy Map: How do I get AI B-17's to bomb

michelip

Can anyone show me how to (a) arm the B-17's, and (b) make them bomb in single missions?

As to arming, I have tried to arm by selecting NEW>New load out, and naming the bombs Mk 82*2. When this is selected as the load out in Mission Ed. it reverts back to "Empty" on the load out page upon saving the mission.

I have tried exporting appropriate bombs from load outs of other aircraft for Ground Attack and Airfield Attack missions without success.

As to bombing, my failures are probably due to fact that I cannot arm the Fortresses, but I have tried all methods available in Advanced (waypoint actions) without any success both through "Set Option">Action>Formation etc. and the "Perform Task">"Bombing" It all seems so unnecessarily complicated, but I know it is early days yet. Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Mich.

Right click on your new payload line in the "1" hardpoint column to open the pull-down menu of available weapons for that hardpoint. You get "BOMBS >" and "REMOVE". Click BOMBS and you get "12 AN-M64". Select that. Now you can assign this line to your hardpoint-1 on your lead bomber of each bomber AC group.

You can only really do carpet bombing with the B-17's.(1)

First, from my experience, never have your formation turn more than 20° between waypoints, otherwise it can cause collision.

For the bombing run on your target you need 3 waypoints. The first (furthest out from the target along your flight path) is the last turn into your target run. The second is the one to which you assign your Advanced (Waypoint Action) for bombing. The third is the turn-out from the bombing run. All three of these waypoint must be in a straight line and pass directly over the target.

Leave at least two miles between the last turning waypoint and the bombing waypoint, to allow time for all your AC to recover from any turn-maneuver mishaps.

How much distance between your target and the bombing waypoint you need to leave is not given. If you know the math, you could probably calculate the time for a bomb to fall plus the speed of the bombers to roughly calculate how far in advance you have to set the bombing waypoint. My tests with bombing from 5000 feet have the bombing waypoint 2.75 mile out, but that is far more than generous. Since I was only doing testing to find out how to set this up, I didn't try to do any optimization. If I were creating a mission in which there were Flak and enemy aircraft, I'd probably try to shorting the lead-ins as much as possible.

Select the second waypoint (the one directly before the target) and add an Advanced (Waypoint Action):

Type: Perform Task

Action: WW2 Carpet bombing

Weapon: --Iron bombs

Rel Qty: All

Pattern Length: (enter in meters, afterwards it will be displayed in feet {I now just figured that out})

Once you've created this AWA a target-ray ending with a triangle will be created emitting from the second waypoint. Drag the triangle to on top of the center of your target. The targeting triangle and all three waypoints should now build a straight line.

Plug all that into your mission, add an observer position, start the mission, select observer and pause. Select the tail AC of your formation and press <F2> to follow that AC. Now you can watch your formation lineup and conduct their bombing run :thumbup:

(1) You can also use a normal bomb attack with the B-17's, but your formation will only drop 1 bomb per pass.

EDIT: Update: if you have multiple groups in for big formation, only the lead group will drops bombs. WIP I guess.

Also, after some more playing around, as far as I can tell, where you place the targeting triangle is the END of your bombing run. So if you set the Pattern Length to 1000 feet, your first bombs will hit 1000 feet before the targeting triangle and the last at the targeting triangle.

Edited by Captain Orso
  • Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Plug all that into your mission, add an observer position, start the mission, select observer and pause. Select the tail AC of your formation and press <F2> to follow that AC. Now you can watch your formation lineup and conduct their bombing run :thumbup:

very interesting butbitte could you be a bitmore precise i really don't know how this ME works.

thanks in advance

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

Thanks Orso - Once again I am indebted to you. I managed to get 3 Fortresses to bomb Evreux airfield.

Details of distances, speed and altitude are: W/point 1 was 5.6 n.m. from target. W/point 2 (bombing W/point) 2.6 n.m. from Tgt. Bomber altitude: 6,500', speed 270 Kn. Wind was left neutral. Pattern was 300' long, ending at the targeting triangle.

Thanks again,

Mich.

Edited by michelip

very interesting butbitte could you be a bitmore precise i really don't know how this ME works.

thanks in advance

ummmmm.... not to want to sound mean, but no.

There's a manual on how the mission editor works. WW-II formations and Carpet bombing are not in it, so I took the time to figure it out and post it here.

If you want to learn how to create missions, probably one of the best ways is to look at a simple mission, like this one Normandy Missions Post #23 It's pretty straight forward, without any triggers or anything really very technical. That should give you a good idea of how things work. Look at ME tools (they all have tool-tips) and check what they show you, and what you can do with them. For simple missions 90% will not even be interesting to you.

The only thing I might add, because when I started looking at the ME it was not apparent to me at all, is that the waypoints of AC groups with 'Player' as the pilot (in other words, AC you start the mission is, or if there are more than one, AC from which you can choose to start in) are mostly to give you the plan the mission creator has for the player. The affect they have on the mission/game are that they are shown on the knee-board maps, and that determines the sheets of detailed map you will have available on your knee-board. The game has fairly detailed (or at least it will eventually [the Caucasus map already has them]) map sheets of about 1x20,000). If a waypoint is on a sheet, that sheet will be on your knee-board. Otherwise, you will only have sheets of about 1x40,000 and a set which is even larger.

That's about it to get you started.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks Orso - Once again I am indebted to you. I managed to get 3 Fortresses to bomb Evreux airfield.

Details of distances, speed and altitude are: W/point 1 was 5.6 n.m. from target. W/point 2 (bombing W/point) 2.6 n.m. from Tgt. Bomber altitude: 6,500', speed 270 Kn. Wind was left neutral. Pattern was 300' long, ending at the targeting triangle.

Thanks again,

Mich.

thumbs-upwink.gif

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

I have my waypoints set all at 12000 feet. Before my ingress waypoint, the formation dives down to about 1000 feet and completes the run. I changed the carpet bombing advanced waypoint altitude to 12000, so just before the formation reaches this waypoint, the formation breaks off and starts orbiting up to 12000 ft. I'm missing something here. Is there a maximum altitude at which you can perform carpet bombing, i.e., is this a function of spread?

I have my waypoints set all at 12000 feet. Before my ingress waypoint, the formation dives down to about 1000 feet and completes the run. I changed the carpet bombing advanced waypoint altitude to 12000, so just before the formation reaches this waypoint, the formation breaks off and starts orbiting up to 12000 ft. I'm missing something here. Is there a maximum altitude at which you can perform carpet bombing, i.e., is this a function of spread?

UPDATE: I had a flak battery along the route prior to the bombing run. As soon as the formation flies over the flak, it begins a dive. I 'unarmed' the flak battery and now the formation maintains its altitude through the entire run. Huh. :cry:

So flak will cause the AI B 17s to dive...

Set a task in you first waypoint to react to enemy attack to passive defense I believe it is.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Hi, When I right click on my hardpoint 1 column nothing happens! no dropdown, nothing. I've tried right clicking everywhere but nothing other than the row with "Empty" on the left of it on it goes dark grey... so I'm going nowhere with no bombs! all it does is fly over the target...

Also you add (normal) waypoint 1 then click on advanced waypoint = a blue line with arrow head off at an acute angle from waypoint 1, then drag the arrowhead the start of the bomb site then adjust all the numbers e.g. spread (I assume that's around the arrowhead) and "wwII carpet bobmbing etc - then add a normal waypoint in a line after the bombing one? Adding the others after to fly home again?

Hi, When I right click on my hardpoint 1 column nothing happens! no dropdown, nothing. I've tried right clicking everywhere but nothing other than the row with "Empty" on the left of it on it goes dark grey... so I'm going nowhere with no bombs! all it does is fly over the target...

Also you add (normal) waypoint 1 then click on advanced waypoint = a blue line with arrow head off at an acute angle from waypoint 1, then drag the arrowhead the start of the bomb site then adjust all the numbers e.g. spread (I assume that's around the arrowhead) and "wwII carpet bobmbing etc - then add a normal waypoint in a line after the bombing one? Adding the others after to fly home again?

First on the loadout screen you need to create a new loadout and name it. Then you can right click on middle column to add bombs.

As far as waypts. make sure to have 3 perfectly in line with each other (4,5,and 6 in pic). You need a waypt before and after bombing waypt to create your bombing run.

5 is where the advanced waypt action is added and you put arrow in middle of area you want to bomb. Make sure this waypt is far enough from target 2.5 miles or more.

Edited by cthulhu68

I've tried again and only the lead bomber bombs :(

The formation, although set to close is rubbish wide.

I do see a bit of bobbing up and down so I need more run in and turning points at same altitude

I'd love a step by step for a formation of 4 but found the youtube video that was suggested and a bit confusing - he also had problems with formation but at least all his bombers bombed!

Thanks for all the guidance, I've got it now! Lovely to see 48 bombs streaming down to target from a tight group.

Things I found that worked:

Number 1: Work on only 1 bomber first

Set a long run in so that the bombers can formate (a real word???)

All waypoints are "turning"

Remember to make the altitudes consistent & speed 210Kts

Set Adv wpt1 #1 as formation "WW2: Bomber element" & "Close"

Set Adv wpt1 #2 as Bomb run: Set advanced wpt @ "ww11 carpet bombing"; "Bombs"; "All"; pattern 1500 or your choice.

(always check pattern as it changes every time you review the bombing waypoint

use "Bombs", some suggest Iron bombs but my regular bombs work fine.

Build your group of 4

Save and run.

Mine start out at waypoint 0 in a loose line abreast but at waypt 1 start to form a tight diamond shape - it takes about 3 to 4 minutes to form a tight diamond (lovely to watch from F2 view), then at target the lead opens his doors (only the lead) and they all bomb.

Then when the Flak 88s start shooting the lead gets it and the others dive and run for waypt 2. I have to set the flak at "Average" or they easily take out 3 B17s of 4.

Have fun!