Rebuild DCS Saved Games folder

Xxx

I have been experimenting and worrying about my poor graphics performance in Normandy. Specifically the use of Deferred Shading and AA AS.

I have a GTX 980 with 4 Gb as you can see in the signature. I was thinking that this was to blame for the low performance. It is not! I think I found the culprit in the metashaders folder!

I renamed the DCS.openaplha folder and let the sim re build a new one, thus getting rid of the old metashaders folder! Resulting in smooth flight and averaging 60 FPS! I have in game AA and AS set to off and don't notice any issues!

The Deferred Shading now looks excellent!

If anyone has not yet done so, I recommend to rename your DCS.openalpha folder in Saved Games. Let the sim build a new folder and then just transfer your joystick settings, in Config/Input.

I see my GTX 980 using all its VRam and running at 100% load. This is fine and obviously with a higher GPU I could safely continue to plan for an Oculus Rift purchase...!

BTW, this only applies to Normandy....

Best Regards

David

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I was explaining this phenomenon to someone on Discord today. I switched off the new effects for comparison, after reapplying them I suddenly found my game looking and playing 100% better. No stutters or funny rendering. I figure this must have reset the shader cache and then recompiled it again more favourably. :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. Gave it a try. No difference here, but I never had any issues with deferred shading. Just hoping to get 2.05 performance back with trees and buildings.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Can you just delete the metashaders folder?

Try just renaming it @metashader or something similar. This way if it goes wrong it is a simple matter of removing the @ :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have tried just the metafolder. Did not help.

I have feeling that every tick in the box, and sliders moved are saved.

All junk are load up again, even during flight.

Have deleted folder several times, remembering settings for each time (minimum adjustment).

Now stutter free and runs fine. (Medium and low setting due to old low spec PC).

Hope it will stay that way!

Time for more dogfights!

:pilotfly:

THIS WORKS!!

Getting 90 FPS over Normandy now :)

I describe my experience here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3156415&postcount=47

As I noted, I had to delete (or actually rename) the entire ``~/Saved Games/DCS.openalpha/`` folder for it to show results, but I also had my SteamVR inadvertently on when I was testing just deleting the ``metashaders`` folder, which was interfering with performance, so it may actually work with removing just the latter instead of the whole ``~/Saved Games/DCS.openalpha/`` folder.

Either way, thanks for discovering this and sharing!

Have tried just the metafolder. Did not help.

I have feeling that every tick in the box, and sliders moved are saved.

All junk are load up again, even during flight.

Have deleted folder several times, remembering settings for each time (minimum adjustment).

Now stutter free and runs fine. (Medium and low setting due to old low spec PC).

Hope it will stay that way!

Time for more dogfights!

:pilotfly:

Like to report that it still works fine. Have not touched settings after last delete folder procedure.

Even heavy multiplayer runs fine. The low memory warning in multiplayer can be clicked off, and keep flying with no problem.

(Admit that start screen takes some time to recover after this message)

This helped me a lot, I went from 20 fps with low settings to now constant 45 fps (ASW) in the rift, including deferred shading, MSAA, AA, 1.6 PD, HDR etc even on a map with hundreds of planes and ground targets and flying low over the strip (local version of the 476th map)

Im supper happy with it, thanks!!

Hi,

i have tried it, no noticeable change for me, only "skin artefat" moved from P-51 to Fw 190D.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |