New hardware not needed?

I downloaded the latest version of DCS. The free trial version. Does this version have the latest video engine/lighting etc? Reason I ask is that I downloaded this onto an older system.

It has a I72600K not overclocked, 8gb ram, and two 6850's in sli. Supposedly DCS does not take advantage of sli...which in this case I believe it does not. The cards are very old Amd. They only have 1gb of memory.

This system, old as it is, runs this latest version of DCS quite well. I get 60 to 70FPS and 40 to 50 FPS over cities.

So I wonder why there are so many having trouble? What am I not seeing? The monitor is a viewsonic 1920x1080.

Lazduc :D

I spent a wad of money on a new system lately....other than my thought that I would need super power to run VR...think I fooled myself. :doh:

The free version is 1.5.6 and it still runs on the old lighting, shading and terrain rendering system, not to mention the free map being much lower detail than payware ones. So yes, until it gets the announced total graphics overhaul, you can run it on that older system for next few months.

The 2.1 version we've been alpha-testing since last friday is a massive resource-hog, however, partly because of various new gfx features, partly because of much more detailed maps, partly because it's still not optimized. That's why people are struggling with it. Nevertheless, even after optimizations, it's safe to predict it will still remain quite hardware-hungry and when free map gets ported to this new engine, it will also require a beefy PC to run it well, especially in VR.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Sooner later you will need to move it to your new system. If that is built to power VR it should be able to power DCS 2.x.

Give it a try, copy the folder from one machine to the other via USB or SMB , no need to re-download everything. Redo the links by hand and then run a repair to fix any mishaps.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I really did not want to fire up the new system yet. I have purchased and downloaded most of the modules for DCS but have not activated them. I did not want to go through the trouble of moving them over and going through the starforce/change any hardward deal. Seems like there are a few folks that have experienced trouble after activate/deactivate.

Also seems like a lot of rework on the new releases. I will wait until 2.1 becomes stable...I waited this long...lol while I built several systems prematurely and they sit in limbo.

I will enjoy what I have now. Am anxious to try my VR. My new system is i76700 on a Isus Z-170, 32gb ram, 500gb ssd, 256gb M-2, 1TB hdd, Two Evga 1080TI, CM Storm case, 1200w Evga Platinum ps, Corsair water pump, DVD. Oculus Rift, Sony 4k 50" monitor.

I purchased the Z-170 mb. The z-270 came out. Did not seem like it was worth moving to that. I did however upgrade the two GTX EVGA 1080 FTW's to the two 1080TI's. Hope 2.5 arrives before I have too upgrade again.

Lazduc

Ive just gone through all that process,migrating stuff, DCS, activations and openalpha 2.1 all running perfect. I think Win10 is going to be a safer bet, i myself come from a Win7 and although i preffered it because i was used to it, everything now has win10 in mind.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.