F-86 Switch Boxes

jocko417

First time building anything, keeping it simple... as solder free as possible because I suck at soldering :music_whistling:

Planning Bodnar BBI-32 boards for the electronics, just test fitting all the switches right now.

Right Forward Panel

PlZWtq.png

UdyEUD.png

In place of the voltage rheostat is a switch that replicates the mechanical sight caging lever. Still have to spray the engine master switch guard black.

Left Forward Panel

Os4uu4.png

A bit more real estate available on the left side so I added some other functions like Emerg Fuel switch, Canopy open/close (the guarded switch top left), Hyd. Press. Ind. switch. Between the jettison buttons is a momentary ON switch which can be selected left and right to control the tank selector knob in game clockwise/anti-clockwise. Maybe in future when I get a bit more daring I'll replace it with a rotary switch ;)

Waiting for a landing light switch topper to arrive in the mail...

Armament panel is next, and I may expand the project to include left and right side panels.

Edited by jocko417

That's how it starts.. :)

Great work and good luck with your build!

:)

Armament Panel progress:

3FDC9BA6-0F8E-4AA4-9CD9-A7820BD9E53A_zpserahdbfe.jpg

Pilot holes remain because I havent yet decided between rotary encoders for some functions or simple bi-direction Momentary On switches.

The 4 pilot holes along the top edge are an addition, and will be used for adjusting altimeter setting, Attitude Indicator pitch adjust., etc.

Labels to be printed for switch functions... with the proper font ;)

I'd vote rotary. So many uses for it in DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 6 months later...

Photobucket.... well, you know.

Older pics but I’ll be getting back to this project soon:

qG5ESH.jpg

Armament panel from center pedestal. The 4 rotary encoders along the top edge are extras, for heading bug, altimeter setting, etc. Have already replaced the guns/missle select round knob with a chickenhead knob. Labels to be added soon.

This project had stalled (new puppy) but has been reawakened due to a new aquisition...

IgFHFY.png

43GM9N.png

:D

...annnnnd the OTHER new aquisition:

l1v5TO.png

Edited by jocko417

rLfkeD.jpg

I used 2 and 3 wire cable (edit - 3 wire is actually 4 wire cable, I just nipped off the 4th wire down to the sheathing when I only needed 3 wires) to keep the bird nest aspect under control. Leo Bodnar BB-32 boards, switches range from 2 dollar NKK toggles up to a vintage Cutler Hammer triple throw switch (same type as from real aircraft for selecting bombs, up selects both pylons, down left is left pylon, down right is right pylon. Center off is safe. I needed all 4 wires for this one.) found on eBay.

Encoders from Bodnar website.

Fun part was researching original 50s vintage switches and guards and trying to find modern (cheaper) equivalents. God bless the internet and Avialogs for F-86 maintenance manuals and parts catalogue available as pdf. Wiring diagrams will come in handy when figuring out the cannon plug on the throttle wiring harness.

Edited by jocko417

I heard you have to do things in the LUA to get the on off toggles to work is this true?

Is there any way around that maybe like a (ON) (ON) Switch or anything?

also very nice clean work there bud

Didnt realize you were in other forum post lol

I heard with the SPST switch when you turn them on the action stays on. But when you turn it off it doesnt do the action to turn it off without the LUA edit..

Im looking to not have to deal with LUA and just set it all up in game.

Edited by iVVChewy9141VVi

Chewy it’s a balancing act - For SPDT switches you need another input for every switch. Lots more wiring, more input boards, more expense. It quickly becomes very cost/time effective to learn a bit of lua - Or more favourably, capitalise on someone else’s work to make it work :D

Then add to the mix three position switches, such as the flaps in the A-10C. Even with a DT switch you still need to tell it where ‘Middle’ is!

Fortunately the community here is very happy to share their work, so it’s usually just a case of copying a few lines to save yourself a lot of work!

476th vFG Alumni

To make use of On/Off toggle switches you could also use a keymapper,like SVmapper or JoytoKey, where key commands can be configured for the Off position.

I might use this method instead. Eventually i might try the file editing but personally rather not

Does SVMapper let you use more the one custom button box?

was looking at getting more then one of these circuit boards below

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180&zenid=c0e6597b577cbcc76b94da462abc79ba

Edited by iVVChewy9141VVi