Excruciatingly slow downloads!

I've got decent internet speed but the downloads for updates to the alpha as well as new maps are mind-blowingingly slow.

I've given up at this stage. Waited a whole day and still only 25per cent!

What's going on here?

Most probably your ISP throttles torrent traffic.

Try using HTTP (cancel the torrenting, it will ask to try HTTP).

A question out of curiosity, but why would an ISP throttle torrent traffic? Please educate me.:)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Yes, it's been like this for a while now.

My average was always 8 meg for updates and module downloads, then it dropped to rarely above 1.0 and often less than 512k. Only with the DCS updater, of course - this is not a general issue and my connection is FTTC @ 74MB/s.

I spent so many years pre-fibre in pure frustratioon with an extremely poor connection, it was like Christmas as a 5 year old when I got FTTC. It makes these speeds really hard to have patience for.

I gave up on the 2.1 update yesterday 6GB at +/-300k is not ideal. For the 2.1 download itself, I started it in the morning and left it on all day. That's crazy to have to do that with the speed (and price!) of my connection.

Wouldn't be so bad if we could download it on a second PC or laptop, but it's such a waste of electricity, all those hours with my gaming rig.

No matter if torrent or HTTP, the speed is very similar. I also get many malicious site warnings from Malwarebytes Pro with the torrent. I will not switch it off, it is not the reason for the poor speed, as I used it when it was 8 MB/s download, too.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Thank you for the link sir. :thumbup:

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
I gave up on the 2.1 update yesterday 6GB at +/-300k is not ideal. For the 2.1 download itself, I started it in the morning and left it on all day. That's crazy to have to do that with the speed (and price!) of my connection.

That's not good at all, I agree. We'll check the situation.

No matter if torrent or HTTP, the speed is very similar. I also get many malicious site warnings from Malwarebytes Pro with the torrent. I will not switch it off, it is not the reason for the poor speed, as I used it when it was 8 MB/s download, too.

Hmm, "malicious site warnings" when doing an update?

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Most probably your ISP throttles torrent traffic.

Try using HTTP (cancel the torrenting, it will ask to try HTTP).

No I've tried the http download too. Still super slow.

Very slow downloads being reported by many people on other forums too

The last patch downloaded at an average of about 400KB/s, but it did go down as low as 22KB/s. This is on torrents.

My ISP doesn't throttle traffic

Interesting - those were almost identical to my download speeds as well. Seems to have slowed down over the last two updates.

EDIT: FYI I'm with TalkTalk UK

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

The last patch downloaded at an average of about 400KB/s, but it did go down as low as 22KB/s. This is on torrents.

My ISP doesn't throttle traffic

Same here, last two updates have been terrible in terms of download speed

I have 300Mbps of fiber and I use torrent very frequently and never have the slow downloads I see on DCS either torrent or HTTP. I know for a fact that my ISP doesn't mess with torrents.

Torrent benefits a lot of the amount of available peers. Pre-seeding should be done before a patch, to help with the stress. Also, why the downloader is capped to 50 I don't know, but I am very often uploading at twice the speed I download when updating or installing from ED.

You guys are selling maps that are 10 - 30 Gbs. Its in your own benefit to offer a decent amount of speed because it honestly sucks when you have to download 40Gb all of a sudden after being hyped you have to wait 10 hours like if this was 1998.

DCS Discord community - https://discord.gg/U8aqzVT

I have 300Mbps of fiber and I use torrent very frequently and never have the slow downloads I see on DCS either torrent or HTTP. I know for a fact that my ISP doesn't mess with torrents.

Torrent benefits a lot of the amount of available peers. Pre-seeding should be done before a patch, to help with the stress. Also, why the downloader is capped to 50 I don't know, but I am very often uploading at twice the speed I download when updating or installing from ED.

You guys are selling maps that are 10 - 30 Gbs. Its in your own benefit to offer a decent amount of speed because it honestly sucks when you have to download 40Gb all of a sudden after being hyped you have to wait 10 hours like if this was 1998.

Hahahahah 10 hours lol. I agree with everything you say but spare a thought for those of us with ADSL lines. For me, if my line and everything is running at full speed, 40 GB will take 15 hours. At the moment, I'm still waiting for Friday's update to complete because something is messed up between my ISP and ED's servers. My HTTP download is coming in at less than 40kB/s. #FML.

I've got decent internet speed but the downloads for updates to the alpha as well as new maps are mind-blowingingly slow.

I've given up at this stage. Waited a whole day and still only 25per cent!

What's going on here?

It would be interesting to know at what download speed you are trying get the stuff done.

People often complain about long download times.

Wha rate does your provider give you ?

Where are you located?

What connetion are you using (modem, DSL, cable ?)

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

That's not good at all, I agree. We'll check the situation.

Hmm, "malicious site warnings" when doing an update?

Update - made my second attempt this evening and...

speedygonzales.png

Eureka! Back to normal speeds at last!

Yes, when torrenting the update I always get warnings that malicious sites are trying to connect. States the relevant IP address, too. I only got one this time, but was unable to get a screenprint as I was busy doing something else during the download.

I'll try and get prints every time in future, then post a little collection for you ;)

Edit: Hang on - I got it in the MBAM log... this one got blocked twice this update:

badguys.png

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2