Time to build a new rig - advices wanted

Now it is time to search the holy gral of my 3600Mhz Vengeance! :detective:

I will try your settings...

I will let you know.

Hi guys,

It was pretty hard and pretty easy... Yep... Let me tell you...

I went through all tests and recommendations and tried a bit of everything... Got several hang ups and freezes... No joy... After about 30 boots and tries, I remembered that this memory kit had XMP compatibility and the motherboard as well. Whatever it is... LOL

I went into the manual, checked where I'd find it, wento into the bios (updated already), undid the DRAM experiments and just enabled AI XMP... It got right away 3598Mhz, 16-19-19-1.35v. I will not fight for the missing 2Mhz... LOL

Ran DCS 2.1 and 1.5.6. to check how stable the system was and the results were fantastic.

I repeated the NTTR test. Benchmark wise:

Before any OC:

Temperature average of 30C

After CPU OC

Temperature average of 33C

Flying DCS from 45C to 65C (just one peak) and average of 48-50C

Test over NTTR F-5E Free flight flying under hoover dam bridge. flying over Boulder City, down the Las Vegas strip at 500kt, over the desert and landing 21 Nellis.

FPS of 43-48 (got 5-8fps more)

Over the strip with mirrors and everything maxxed out, at 4k, (most of it) it was 28fps.

Final rwy 21 Nellis 31-32fps.

Now with CPU at 5Ghz and DRAM at 3600Mhz:

Temperature average of 35C

Flying DCS from 48C to 65C (just one peak) and average of 48-53C

CPU Load around only 30%

GPU Load 100% (my bootleneck now) and temperature 70-74C

GPU alway stays around 50C in idle anyway.

Test over NTTR F-5E Free flight flying under hoover dam bridge. flying over Boulder City, down the Las Vegas strip at 500kt, over the desert and landing 21 Nellis.

FPS of 44-54 (got 7-14fps more from original benchmark)

Over the strip with mirrors and everything maxxed out, at 4k, (most of it) it was 29fps (5%gain but pretty flyable - even straffed the Stratosphere! LOL).

Final rwy 21 Nellis 35-37fps.

Then I tried DCS 1.5.6. F-5E instant action Air to Air. The first try I was with 190 in the air, and landed Kobulety with 80fps flying low. Decided to up AA to 4x and water to max. It dropped 20fps to 60+ on final.

But I still think I can squeeze a bit more from my Gigabyte GTX1080 doing some overclocking in it. I will study a bit more...

I am really happy with the results. I'd like to thank you all for the tips. My only wish now was to recover my CH Control Manage Mapped mode... But, I can live with that in Direct Mode until I get my A-10 Warthog! :D

Thanks guys and I wish you the best,

Sydy

Gents,

This post is my first trial. Don't do it. Go to Post #67 and read the optimum tunning for this rig:

I will post a small list of what I did in the BIOS to OC my Rig to CPU at 5Ghz and DRAM at 3600Mhz. GPU OC didn't work quite right so far and I think I will skip it. So, here it goes

Asus Rog Formula IX + I7-7700k Overclocking

1 - CPU Core Ration Sync all Cores

2 - 1-CPU CORE RATIO ................50

3- AI XMP .....................................ENABLE

4- XTREME TWEAKING ...............ENABLE

5- TPU ..........................................KEEP CURRENT SETTINGS

6- EPU PWR SAVING ...................DISABLE

7- CPU SVID SUPPORT ...............DISABLE

8- INTERNAL CPU PWR MANAGE

INTEL SEED STEP ...................DISABLE

9- TWEAKER PARADISE

CPU CORE/CACHE VOLTAGE..1.38 (reduced to 1.35v)

10- ADVANCED TAB

CPU

CPU PWR MANAGEMENT

CPU C-STATES....................DISABLE

I hope it helps with some of you doing OC in a similar rig.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
Changing the recommendation /Core Voltage change

Too much Volts, and some things like turning OFF CPU SVID prohibits other controlling software, like RealTemp,HWinfo, CoreTemp etc. from reading values !!!

SpeedStep, leave it ON....one of the goodie features of 7thgen Core CPU's is the ultra fast Ramp-Up speed. Mine runs with SS enabled, need to save Watts, Heat & Money !

C-States OFF ...also not good, you can leave ALL that enabled.

My Tip:

RESET your Bios to default ! This way you have an ALWAYS booting machine. The ONLY thing you have to change is XMP as you cannot alter DRAM frequency on the fly. SO reset to defaults + XMP ( + all cores enabled ).

THEN...in AI-Suite...SAVE those settings as your DEFAULT setting.

From within AI-Suite overclock it, save the profile and only use it when you need to.

The CPU alone will clock easily to 5G, so does XMP all alone by itself. Try a 1h-prime95-non-AVX ( v26.6) and Aida64 Stability test tp verify its stable.

YOu can easily modify each and any setting from within AI-Suite, go back and forth etc.. without rebooting and No-Boot scenarios.

Watch your VCC-IO and VCC-SA, those are the 2 values raised by Asus-AutoOC along with vCore.

I would start with 1.30V and 5G, use Aida64-stab-test, it wont usually BSOD your machine if volts are too low, it will just fail the test. Raise Volt by 0.01V each time it fails until stable. 1.38V will FRY your CPU in 3 seconds with prime95-AVX, thats a whoppin 0.05 more than I have and I tested 1.35 that knocked my CPU off. 1.35V is the agreed limit for many overclockers for 24/7 usage. You are OVER the limit !!

What you will LIKELY have to tweak too is LLC, Phase Control and Current Capability in AI-Suite for 5G/3600.

I can lower those on mine...it just wont pass any test then...for DCS it might be ok, dunno, Aida for sure WILL drop out.

default.thumb.JPG.ecd367731fa5776f28634e985945d0c1.JPG

default-1.thumb.JPG.5781cc51b469f4b58ea5fc335decb3d2.JPG

5G.thumb.JPG.bd9ae6003c164df56b803f68ba237648.JPG

5G-1.thumb.JPG.f5f76e9fa11bf61949f80f4a8fc95850.JPG

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi BitMaster,

I just lowered the VCore to 1.35. Tomorrow I will follow your receipt and see what happens. My OC knowledge is VERY limited and I have to follow steps, like the video I posted.

Anyway, I lowered the VCore to 1,35 and the Temp in idle already dropped to 30C again.

Tks for your tips!

Sydy

That’s a much better way having the PC always boot stock with only XMP enabled and always load into stock cpu settings when booting into windows.

Then you can enable the different profiles for the overclock, makes a lot of sense doing it like this so the pc will always boot normal, for when I potentially crash it. lol

Thanks BitMaster

Thanks for the tips too.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I was really thankful that my MB had three BIOS to select from. I got lazy and was flashing the BIOS when Windows BSOD. Bricking the BIOS. I just flipped a switched, booted, and updated the corrupted BIOS. Whew! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I was really thankful that my MB had three BIOS to select from. I got lazy and was flashing the BIOS when Windows BSOD. Bricking the BIOS. I just flipped a switched, booted, and updated the corrupted BIOS. Whew! :)

Yo...feel lucky...I had a few "higher end" boards with Duzal Bios etc... they all bricked after 1-4 weeks, each one was 500€ class mobo. No flickin the knob helped, flashed back and forth etc.. in the end, if it is bricked its bricked was my findings. Went thru 3 of those boards in 2 months till I was fed up with Z170 and 6700k...gave it all back and got me the combo cpu-mobo-ram from sig.

Since I had that experience I am going with middle tier boards like the prime. Less is sometimes more.

This X370 AMD board is actually the AM4 counterpart to my Z270/1151 board, same looks, same level of access. in the box etc.. and works !

Yeah, dont overdo OC ! It is ok to overdo the volts when you search for the sweetspot, I have been there too, with every new board etc.. Just after you found a stable setting, try LOWERING each value until it drops out, then back it up 1 notch or 2 and test again. If stable again, take the next value and do the same, lower until drop then back up by 1 or 2 steps.

It took me 2-3 weeks to find, stabilize and tweak the settings I run.

BTW..if you have a long duration between BEEP...and POST...wait...the Bios will learn the RAM and if you are lucky, I was, it will eventually boot promptly. That took mine about 4-6 weeks ( same Bios, latest ) and SUDDENLY, without changing any HW or pull RAM etc...nanda of that...the board boots quick, as if normal RAM was inserted.

It seems like the bios stores values from each boot and after a while it has sorted the RAM and its settings, at least in my case with the latest Bios for this mobo.

It took up to 2-3 minutes between BEEP and POST before it sorted it out, give it time to learn !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

BitMaster,

Do you always overclock in windows using AI Suit 3 now and only set the XMP in the BIOS?

Have you had any problems doing the OCing in win and is there any benefit these days doing any changes in BIOS instead?

Thanks in advance

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Since my 2600k SandyBridge I only use Bios for Memory settings, XMP.

All overclocking I do is done via the Asus AI-Suite. There are only a few, seldomly used values btw, that you can only change in Bios. All the relevant settings can be tuned inside the OS.

The good thing is, you can start Aida64-Stab.-Test and change values WHILE you run that test and see how the system changes it's behaviour.

From the method, I do it like this:

1:Set your XMP with stock clocks on the CPU first. Test your system for a few hours with various stress testers to see if your RAM is stable at rated and advertised settings in your combo.

2: revert the RAM to 2133 and then overclock the CPU, alone. Stresstest any setting you think could be stable, lower voltages where ever possible while remaining stable.

Once you have found the highest clock that remains stable with acceptable temps you can marry both settings--> 3:

3: Set your RAM to XMP again as in #1, then gradually increase the CPU clock. You will most likely see a different behaviour now the higher you clock. Always test your settings.

This 3rd step is the most complicated. i found it particularly hard to match 4.8+G with XMP-3600.

Thing is, many settings do run for 10min, 30min, 1h maybe until they fail in prime95 or IBT.

Aida64 is the quickest way I have found to pre-determine if a setting is good enough to get "heavily tested". Aida64 may run 1h and prime95-AVX will fail in 5 seconds, have been there many times.

Whenever you have 1 suite doing it and another not you are close to a good setting. May add a little Voltage here and there, test test test.

The System Agent Voltage is solid on my setup, maybe on all Z270 with fast RAM. It has the same value for any mode, stock or 5G. If I change this setting in Bios ( it is that high by default on Auto from Asus btw ). So if you set it to a lower value it wont boot or fail miserably.

The vDIMM might need to be raised above the 1.2000v default value once you go XMP. How much is a good question. Try small increments with CPU on default. Once you manage to get the RAM stable you may have ended up at 1.35V for 3600 ( my value ) @ stock clocks. As soon as I raise the CPU clock I have to gradually raise the vDIMM as well. This setting is/was hard to find as it also worked at 1.35v vDimm at 5G, just NOT STABLE.

The VCC-IO Volatge is the most important Value there is with fast RAM, at least I think so after Z170 and Z270 trial&error weeks and months.

It controls the signaling between your IMC ( integr. memory controller ) and the actual DIMM inserted into the slot(s). The more modules you have, the faster they are and the bigger they are the more juice you need. That is my finding. Dont overdo either SA or IO volts as this WILL DAMAGE the circuits ad MOST IMPORTANT..it is counter productive as signaling quality degrades drastically if you overdo those 2 settings.

You may run 0.05V too high on the CPU but never on the VCC-IO.

Once you have a stable setting, increase VCC-IO and watch how it destabilises your system.

Why some people still OC in Bios ? I have no idea ! Each person is different and has different likings and experience, foresight and expectations I guess.

I think it is counter productive to do so as you will often end in a non-boot scenario with Bios reset, Clear CMOS situations and all that kind of stuff. I prefer to boot proper and fast and employ OC when needed, when not this thing is set to Balanced Power Plan and idles with 0.8G ;)

The 7th-gen i5/i7 ramp up the speed so fast that I cannot tell the difference in DCS, hands down.

There is zero jitter-stutter-warp with either setting. This was not like this with my 2600k Sandy.

You can safely leave all "extras" like Hyper-V, VT-D, SpeedStep, C-States etc all activated. Those dont really change your OC experience and only hurt the global warming and electricity bill as well as void Virtualization if you deactibvate VT-D and Hyper-V capabilities.

As a side note:

AMD seems to have a bug in the Ryzen family that could become a bad hiccup !

Virtualization seems to be affected in some part ( lacking time to review this ) but the more dramatic part is that a number of Linux machines spit out errors when heavily compiling on Ryzen.

This is not good...luckily this R5 will only ever run Win10 as an Office PC for Sage and Tobit.

I have no info if compiling on Windows has the same error. That would be even worse for developers.

• Like 1

Hi Bitmaster,

Today I undid everything I did and tried your tips. I got stuck in the first steps.

1- Load default bios via F5 - Booted

2- Reseted computer, into bio again, tried to use only the XMP... Waited for 5 minutes and the MOBO never booted...

At this moment I went back to F5 values.

It gets the memory frequency and settings perfectly, but the computer never boots.

Any tip about hunging up with only XMP changed?

Tks for your posts!

Looking forward to hear from you.

Sydy

Yes,

1. either WAIT 5min..maybe 10min till it boots, I mean POST after BEEP. Connect a speaker and check for the ONE beep. If it wont even beep, go to step #2 right away.

2. If 10min wait bring no joy, RAISE those 3 voltages. vDIMM to 1.40 , VCC-IO to 1.3000 and VCC-SA ( System Agent ) to 1.350v ( lower them later again when you know what goes and what not ).

You may also increase vCore by a tiny bit to see if it helps.

Yes,

1. either WAIT 5min..maybe 10min till it boots, I mean POST after BEEP. Connect a speaker and check for the ONE beep. If it wont even beep, go to step #2 right away.

2. If 10min wait bring no joy, RAISE those 3 voltages. vDIMM to 1.40 , VCC-IO to 1.3000 and VCC-SA ( System Agent ) to 1.350v ( lower them later again when you know what goes and what not ).

Thank you, Sir! Will do and post results!

TKs a lot for your patience!

Hi guys,

I think I managed to stabilize my system. Although I received outstanding tips from BitMaster and David_OC, I couldn't make it happen for pure inexperience with OC. This is my very first computer that I try to do it.

So I went to the "naive" mode and installed two apps. The EVGA Precision XOC to manage my GPU and Asus AI Suite 3 to optimize and manage my mother board.

In the end the result was quite satisfactory:

The GPU is using its Turbo mode and running pretty fast at 1911Mhz and memory at 5000mhz with a temperature 9C lower than before.

I ran the optimize test from Asus AI Suite 3 and after a couple of boots it maxxed to 4.8Ghz on the CPU, but I only saw it going up to 4.7 during DCS experiments, but it managed all the voltages BitMaster mentioned pretty well and the CPU went lower by 30C during DCS 1.5.6 (used to top 70C before) test and down 40C running DCS (used to reach 85C before).

The "fun fact" is that on 1.5.6 I have no problem using acft mirrors, but in 2.1, whenever I turn on the mirrors, temps raise fast as hell going from 40-45C to 65-80C! I tested this several times (mirrors on/off) and every time that happened. Quite interesting...

I will post some pictures of the temps, voltages and frequencies while testing it.

If you guys see something I could do, specially in 2.1 settings, please, tell me!

Flying Caucasus MP with Mirrors

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

DCS 2.1.0 Settings (pretty aggressive for my taste/test) LOL

IMG_0088.jpg

Flying Normandy MP with Mirrors. (Note CPU temp 64C)

IMG_0084.jpg

Flying Normandy MP no Mirrors

IMG_0086.jpg

Power saving mode

IMG_0089.jpg

I think I found my "sweetspot" for this rig. Both 1.5.6 and 2.1 are pretty much flyable. 1.5.6 gives around 70fps and Normandy gives around 45 with 33 flying low over the terrain.

I hope I get more tips (specially on my 2.1 settings) and we keep the post rolling.

Thank you for your tips, guys! I still want some more.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
Typo

Looking good Sydy,

If you want to pick up some extra FPS turn off MSAA when using deferred shading in DCS 2.1 and use NVIDIA control, the deferred shading needs some work. Wags posted here about this. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188117

6) If using Deferred Shading, you may wish to set your MSAA and Anisotropic values to zero, and instead enable these only through your graphics cards settings manager.)

Plus, at your resolution it’s probably not needed as much anyway?

Set visibility Range to Ultra / High. I use high for larger missions to keep the frames real good and it's not that noticeable on high vis, especially low down in the choppers. Test your settings in a larger battle.

Regarding CH Manager

I really don't know how win 10 is "understanding" the Control Manager renaming the HIDs, but I saw in CH-Hangar it is a widespreade desease... :-( Happens.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3165709&postcount=11

Sydy

After rereading your post, I do get what you're saying here about the HID renaming. The true power behind CH manger is that you don't need to set anything ever in DCS.

Except only the control axis (Pitch,Yaw,Roll, etc) for each aircraft because of the win HIDs are different.

Good example can be found here, that I started with and changed for FC3 fighters to suit me, this CH file by SleepyCanuck also has a profile that suits all the ground fights too in the one file, such as the Su25T, A-10A etc.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1841935/

Example below of how this works, by assigning the DCS keyboard commands to CH joystick buttons and or Shifted buttons, SleepyCanuck took the time to list all the key commands! So You decide where and what goes where anytime you want, even in sim. The only buttons I like to map in DCS are the fire buttons. Download SleepyCanuck’s FC3 file and take a look, he's even setup nice control pictures to show controls, plus their editable in word, all my aircraft are setup like this, because it does not rely on HID except for joystick axis, if you need any help let me know.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164284&stc=1&d=1497526118

Below is how you can change button commands at anytime.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164285&stc=1&d=1497526118

----

CHmanager1.thumb.jpg.6c0e6828877fadd9645c7c7087c52be3.jpg

CHmanager2.jpg.a5afdccdde751bc97ee9b00d95749745.jpg

Looking good Sydy,

If you want to pick up some extra FPS turn off MSAA when using deferred shading in DCS 2.1 and use NVIDIA control, the deferred shading needs some work. Wags posted here about this. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188117

6) If using Deferred Shading, you may wish to set your MSAA and Anisotropic values to zero, and instead enable these only through your graphics cards settings manager.)

Plus, at your resolution it’s probably not needed as much anyway?

Set visibility Range to Ultra / High. I use high for larger missions to keep the frames real good and it's not that noticeable on high vis, especially low down in the choppers. Test your settings in a larger battle.

Hi David,

Good! I was coming here just to post a test I just ran. I just set on 2.1:

- Anisotropict Filtering OFF

- MSAA OFF

- Heat Blur LOW

Checked FXAA ON on Nvidia Control Panel.

Just to make a long report short, I got at least 20FPS extra. Sometimes I get 30+ FPS extra. For now I will keep 2.1 like that until ED changes Deferred Shading. Btw, I do not get the CPU temp spike anymore when using the mirrors in Normandy. Go figure! :pilotfly:

2.1 is running aroun 45-75fps... A lot smoother..

1.5.6. is pretty stable and got FPS wise got both versions on equivalent performance.

Regarding CH Manager

After rereading your post, I do get what you're saying here about the HID renaming. The true power behind CH manger is that you don't need to set anything ever in DCS.

David_OC, that's my problem, when CM renames the device to CM DEVICE 1, 2, 3, WIndows 10 gets confused and it simply doesn't show any joystick at all. So, that's a deal braker for me.

I do have all my planes mapped already and I love to use CM, but this is consuming... I decided to keep as it is for the next couple of months (I will be working a lot anyway) and around september I will get a new A-10 Warthog.

The set I have is quite old, around 10+ years of use and some of the Potenciometers are getting spikes. I am not in the mood to open this thing to change the POs to keep a set that I can not program and use the way I like. Anyway, life goes on...

I still want to try one more time BitMaster Advice:

Yes,

BitMaster, at least I am using AI Suit now! :) I will work on it a bit more!

Thank you both!

All the best,

Sydy

I wonder why you had 8x MSAA with 4k res. You should not need any MSAA wit that resolution at all.

I use 16x AAF to have better looking fences and powerlines but I do not use def. shader ( yet ).

Hi guys,

I though I had reached my "sweetspot", but probably because I never had an Overclock Orgasm! LOL :D :D:D:D:D

It happened and thanks to your directions!

Yes,

As I said, I'd give it a go again about XMP, so here is what I did:

- reboot and got into BIOS;

- Loaded default values with F5;

- Changed only AI OVerclock to X.M.P.

- Saved and Exit (I was going to wait the recommended BitMaster 10 min).

To my surprised, the boot was completely normal!!! I was mesmerized!

I ran AI Suit 3 and checked the DDR4 at 3600Mhz! NICE!

Then I ran AI Suit 3 "5 Step Performance optimization".

- Hang on the first boot, I reseted it;

- It booted a couple of times more and got to the Win Login windows.

After that I noticed the CPU went up to 4.9Gz, but DDR4 came down to 2933Mhz...

I decided to boot again and go into bios.

- Changed AI Overclock from manual (set by AI Suit) to XMP and it got back to 3.600Mhz.

With this, I was satisfied: CPU at 4.9Ghz and DDR4s at 3600Mhz. Checked the voltages and they were close to the values BitMaster said.

I wonder why you had 8x MSAA with 4k res. You should not need any MSAA wit that resolution at all.

I use 16x AAF to have better looking fences and powerlines but I do not use def. shader ( yet ).

Agreed, After reading some posts in the forum, I concluded the same thing, so I changed it a bit.

Here are the results. If you see something, tell me and I am willing to hear your advices.

Programs I ran on the test to make it as real ops as possible:

- Asus AI Suit 3

- EVGA Precision XOC

- Track Ir

- Fraps

- SimShaker for Aviators (with the jetseat operational)

- DCS 1.5.6 and 2.1 (of course) :doh:

- CAM Kraken 62 monitoring program. (Just for the sake of it, but I won't use it anymore)

This is my 1.5.6 setup so you can compare with 2.1

IMG_0280.jpg

DCS 2.1.0 Settings (I tunned it down a bit. Consider: Anis. Filtering and MSAA OFF and Heat Blur Low)

IMG_0088.jpg

Now the settings are quite good. CPU set to 4.9Ghz, running in 4.8Ghz according to AI suit and, thanks BitMaster, DDR4 running at 3.600Mhz.

IMG_0282.jpg

Note I took a wider picture so you can see FRAPs FPS on the lower left corner of the main monitor.

This is Nevada, flying over the desert.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

General view of results and cockpit.

IMG_0287.jpg

Flying low over Las Vegas, pretty demanding.

IMG_0288.jpg

Flying down Las Vegas Strip with 38fps is not that badLOL

IMG_0289.jpg

Final Rwy 21R Nellis is giving me something like 42 fps.

IMG_0291.jpg

I tested Normandy map a bit less, but the results were pretty similar, sometimes 3-5fps lower than Nevada, but smoother than before. Other thing I noticed after tunning it, I do not get the temperature spike with Mirrors on Normandy anymore.

I thank you guys, once again, for your advices and help. I can not express my gratitude for your time and patience, my only promisses is to pass the good forward! :D

I hope this post works to somebody else.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
Typo

Very nice. I've been meaning to OC for sometime but was lazy about it. Everything ran smooth so there was no urgency. I guess I'll start now just to start. When my new MB shows up, I'll start tweaking it - and hope I don't get addicted to it where I just tweak all day and night! :)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Very nice. I've been meaning to OC for sometime but was lazy about it. Everything ran smooth so there was no urgency. I guess I'll start now just to start. When my new MB shows up, I'll start tweaking it - and hope I don't get addicted to it where I just tweak all day and night! :)

hsb

Hi hsb,

Yep, it worths the trouble for the extra FPSs. Go for it!

Count on David_OC and BitMaster to help you out! They know this business! :D

All the best,

Sydy

It's more BitMaster than me that knows this OCing stuff, I'm following along learning a lot here myself Sydy.:thumbup:

I would still pull back, or turn off on the MSAA for your Res Sydy, you will get much better consistency in the bigger mission with the view distance to ultra/High and see little difference in sim, it's a good balance especially at 4K. Flying over the center of NTTR I'm at 60 to 70 FPS, the lowest down to 55s fast "700 knots" low in the middle of Vegas.

Actually, I have another question for BitMaster,

I'm not sure if this is the best or right way? After running AI suit and finding a good very high setting. I saved this profile, then I re did the overclock and set the OC to the lowest it would go to, that way when the PC boots it loads this lower profile standard.

Then after I boot the PC, I then switch to my latest tested 5GHz profile, you would think there really should be a setting in Ai Suite to select what profile to load when booting. Or am I missing something here?

The puter will run DCS and Boot at 51X, I have pulled back like BitMaster does to 50X and she is seems nice and stable there, with RAM @ 3466MHz.

She did go to X53 before crashing, when I ticked the Allow higher OCing when running AI suit. LOL oops :cry:

EDIT: Testing my GTX 1070 G1 Gaming, this thing looks like it clocks like a boss too, had the clock over 2050MHz, I have read this is around the limit for power, as they didn't want the card matching the 1080s. Will report back if this make much difference in sim.

Looking back at this thread about benchmarking, in the Compiled list of lessions learned section posted:

(12. VR setup (2160x120 - "Stereo" mode) is - despite the low resolution - very demanding on this game and one needs to resort to lowering quality settings in order to achieve 75FPS+. A high end and a low end GPU perform pretty exactly the same, a sign of engine bottleneck.)

Is this still the case now? Might be very little difference from my 1070 to the 1080ti at the moment using the oculus rift? This is last year, has things changed much? Has anyone tested with different cards on a good overclocked pc?

Carrier Operations with DCS: F/A-18C

I might just keep my 1070 and still just grab the rift now, just to do carrier Op's when the F/A 18 is out. It's one of tho's things you aways wanted to be able to do as a kid...

Joysticks

One thing I dont like about the warthog joystick Sydy, are the internals for such an expensive controler, if they had CH quality buttons and mini joystick on the throttle and stick, I would think about it then perhaps.

My 1st choice (More expensive yes, way better engineering)

Gunfighter Pro

In addition to the Gunfighter’s equipment, the Gunfighter Pro includes: - A stick extension (20cm / 8”)

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-gunfighter-pro

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179972&highlight=VKB

I would replace the grip with the VKB-Sim MCG-PRO, this can also take the warthog grip i believe, so (IF) thrustmaster sell the F/A18 grip separately they may add this to the Gunfighter Pro? We can only hope....

Also VirPil Controls looks good to.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180448

Rudder Pedels

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Expensive taste, LOL:)

-

Edited by David OC

EDIT: Testing my GTX 1070 G1 Gaming, this thing looks like it clocks like a boss too, had the clock over 2050MHz, I have read this is around the limit for power, as they didn't want the card matching the 1080s. Will report back if this make much difference in sim.

Looking back at this thread about benchmarking, in the Compiled list of lessions learned section posted:

(12. VR setup (2160x120 - "Stereo" mode) is - despite the low resolution - very demanding on this game and one needs to resort to lowering quality settings in order to achieve 75FPS+. A high end and a low end GPU perform pretty exactly the same, a sign of engine bottleneck.)

Is this still the case now? Might be very little difference from my 1070 to the 1080ti at the moment using the oculus rift? This is last year, has things changed much? Has anyone tested with different cards on a good overclocked pc?

Carrier Operations with DCS: F/A-18C

I might just keep my 1070 and still just grab the rift now, just to do carrier Op's when the F/A 18 is out. It's one of tho's things you aways wanted to be able to do as a kid...

Joysticks

One thing I dont like about the warthog joystick Sydy, are the internals for such an expensive controler, if they had CH quality buttons and mini joystick on the throttle and stick, I would think about it then perhaps.

My 1st choice (More expensive yes, way better engineering)

Gunfighter Pro

In addition to the Gunfighter’s equipment, the Gunfighter Pro includes: - A stick extension (20cm / 8”)

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-gunfighter-pro

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179972&highlight=VKB

I would replace the grip with the VKB-Sim MCG-PRO, this can also take the warthog grip i believe, so (IF) thrustmaster sell the F/A18 grip separately they may add this to the Gunfighter Pro? We can only hope....

Also VirPil Controls looks good to.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180448

Rudder Pedels

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Expensive taste, LOL:)

-

Hi David,

I took a look at these Joys, but my problem is that I'd have to import it to Brazil and that would be way too expensive. Something like "Sitck Price+Transport+60% import taxes".

I do recognize its qualities, but it is a big No No for me price wise. I was recognize that TM could do a better job in the Warthog guts and I am afraid to have it "bricked"... Anyway, I think I'd give it a go.

Tks a lot,

Sydy