AI Path Finding Errors

nrgized

The ground units don't like navigating turns.

I've tried every possible interim solution to get a simple HUMV to make a right turn and halt 20 or so yards after the turn.

The unit will always blow through the intersection loop around with a left hand turn and finally go to the point it was supposed to.

Changing speed, setting incremental waypoints as off road and tweaking speed does nothing to stop the above scenario.

The attached picture shows the unit out in africa having missed its right hand turn, its pictured doing the left hand loop around.

Screen_170605_223817.thumb.jpg.e71ff2d3b61e560f8f4eddae685d0b25.jpg

I know it doesn't answer your question directly, why not just think tactically? Why should a vehicle stick to roads when it is more than capable of going off road where the path it takes is less predictable, and therefore less susceptible to enemy action? Roads are things to bring up supplies from rear echelons, tactically, they're just harder ground, usually with deep drainage ditches to impede you when you most need to get off them. Give me a nice sheltering hedge line any day! Maybe lateral thinking is the answer?

Apart from getting the unit to follow a road, and placing waypoints along the route, I don't know of a way of forcing it to stay on roadways exclusively.

Edited by NeilWillis

I know it doesn't answer your question directly, why not just think tactically? Why should a vehicle stick to roads when it is more than capable of going off road where the path it takes is less predictable, and therefore less susceptible to enemy action? Roads are things to bring up supplies from rear echelons, tactically, they're just harder ground, usually with deep drainage ditches to impede you when you most need to get off them. Give me a nice sheltering hedge line any day! Maybe lateral thinking is the answer?

Apart from getting the unit to follow a road, and placing waypoints along the route, I don't know of a way of forcing it to stay on roadways exclusively.

This seems like a bug. We shouldn't have to 'think laterally' to work around bugs. That's insane.

it's a bug :(

Same problem on one of my missiosn when AI ground units cross a bridge ... one of them hit it !!!

I thnik it's link to 2.x version not only Normandy (I saw the same problems on Nevada a few month ago).

Of course it is a bug. If you tell the unit to drive on the road that is what it should do.

In DCS 1.5 units drive on the roads very well.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There are many times when, even in actual combat environments, roads are used to afford speed. This is a bug, hopefully ED will address soon

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk