Adding kneeboard info

GazAce

Hey good wingmen, pasted below is this very old post I found of how to add stuff to your kneeboard which is something I really want to do. So I'm just checking if this is still the correct way to achieve this today?

Cheers! G

"In your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder, create a folder named KNEEBOARD

In that folder, add the images you want. They can be PNG or JPG (maybe other formats too?), and any size - they will be scaled to fit. Keep them to a 3:4 portrait aspect ratio, though, or they will become distorted.

That's it! In game, open up your kneepad, then hit "previous page" to flip through your custom pages! "

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Kneeboard info

To add to this, the best resolution for kneeboard pages is 768 x 1024.

Thanks BD, although I'm having trouble finding my save games but I did find the kneeboard folder for Aircraft in DCS folder and tried to add the full A-10C checklist but it didn't work, It's a PDF file and anyway I'm kinda fumbly when it comes to that stuff sad.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Your saved games folder is located on your main drive usually, and the full address is something like

C:\Users\*the name you gave to your PC*\Saved Games\

It is where all your saved settings, input device profiles and other user specific items are stored.

Kneeboard info

Hey thanks fellas, that's mighty handy and much appreciated,

Cheers thumbup.gif smile.gif

Yikes! That's fumble proof? Hmm that's some serious detail there but I'll give it a shot and also I got a link to Bunyaps tutorial on this as well and he's always good. I haven't watched all of it yet but I def will. And I was thinking, I reckon it would be great if the Devs of the Campaigns could include the Mission Brief in the kneeboard for each mission, now that would be awesome but if not, is it possible for us to include them with that kneeboard builder? :book:

Edited by GazAce
Afterthought

C:\Users\*the name you gave to your PC*\Saved Games\

you must create here the folder "KNEEBOARD"

also inside this directory

you can create specific folder for specific aircraft use, with the same syntax as livery or anything insight DCS\mods\aircraft

for exemple "SpitfireLFMkIX" and put specific file inside

file in "kneeboard root" will be visible in all aircraft

also, i had issue if the file is xxx.PNG no issues if it is xxx.png

I have an excel file I can tweak with what I need

print it with pdfcreator

save with XXX.png inside the correct folder

C:\Users\*the name you gave to your PC*\Saved Games\KNEEBOARD\SpitfireLFMkIX\

...done

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Kneeboard blues

Hey thanks snowsniper, appreciate that mate. I'm now wishing I did that computer course back in the 90s :book::cry:

Well I gave it a shot and it didn't pan out man. Yes I found that folder or file with DCS Saved games and created a folder named KNEEBOARD but before that I saved each page from that Operators Checklist Manual as I wanted specific reference pages in my kneeboard and I dragged and dropped one into that KNEEBOARD folder I created but it didn't show up when I went back into the game. I use Win 10 and it's really difficult for me cause I had Win XP for years and it was so easy to use and do stuff with, now everything is APPs based and it sux man, anyway when I looked at each file I saved they all read 348kb each which means its like the all of them as a whole in that program WIN 10 opens it with, it's hard to explain it in computer terms properly but each page should be no more than a few 30 or 40 kb yes? I dunno, I can't be bothered now as I spent like 2 wasted hours and now I'm bummed and should've been flying a mission instead. Dam fangle computers!

Update: Finally I had some success. It didn't work at first because I forgot to create a A-10C folder within that Kneeboard folder but then I found it still didn't do anything because of this "Edge" Win10 program balony that my A-10C Checklist is saved in so I just grabbed any ole doc from one of my scans files and that worked perfectly so now I'll just scan what I want to go into my kneeboard and that's that but sometimes certain docs I scan or print save in that Edge reader thing. I wish I had good ole Word back, that was good for puty simpletins like moi.

Thanks again for help and input, cheers G :o)

Edited by GazAce

Kneeboard

Hey you got that right brother, I can't even find a tool for resizing stuff, prob have to buy an app grrr :(

Thanks BD, although I'm having trouble finding my save games but I did find the kneeboard folder for Aircraft in DCS folder and tried to add the full A-10C checklist but it didn't work, It's a PDF file and anyway I'm kinda fumbly when it comes to that stuff sad.gif

Gaze, email your pdf to me and I'll convert it to a pic for ya.

Adding info to kneeboard

Hey that's very kind of you man, I appreciate that. I just sent it now and all I'm really needing as I explained in the email is 20 pages I've listed of that Operators Checklist. I can't seem to get them individually out of that "e" reader format thingo. Anyway I printed them out ages ago and needed one the other night and thought they would be great in my kneeboard as they're each a one page ref guide, very handy while your up in the air. Thanks again, cheers Gbook.gif thumbup.gif

I sent it back and the pages came out well, I think.

Hey there! Thanks a bunch but it didn't work out. I couldn't do anything with those and I tried heaps. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat and can view those checklist files that I sent you but there is no option to send or copy to my Kneeboard folder and when I try to find one, up pops this page that wants me to pay $$ to get the right software to send PNG files and other types. Phhfft I can't be bothered and it's a shame cause I really like the idea of the kneeboard and just wanted a simple method that enables me to load stuff into it without all this bother and effing around. Geez, like whatever happened to the ole drag n drop method. I'm over it, I'll just reference from notes I've printed, no biggie. Thanks for trying anyway hombre, appreciate your effort. Cheers G thumbup.gif

Hey good wingmen, pasted below is this very old post I found of how to add stuff to your kneeboard which is something I really want to do. So I'm just checking if this is still the correct way to achieve this today?

Cheers! G

"In your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder, create a folder named KNEEBOARD

In that folder, add the images you want. They can be PNG or JPG (maybe other formats too?), and any size - they will be scaled to fit. Keep them to a 3:4 portrait aspect ratio, though, or they will become distorted.

That's it! In game, open up your kneepad, then hit "previous page" to flip through your custom pages! "

Fantastic man, thanks for the tip.:thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Thanks for the heads-up CrashO, kneeboard builder is an amazing program and I didn´t know it. :thumbup:

Wish I could get stuff into my kneeboard *sigh* sad.gif

Okay, here's the bootleg MS Paint approach.

1. Open PDF

2. Use scroll and zoom to pick desired text

3. Hit "Print Screen" key

4. Open MS Paint

5. Hit Paste to paste in a screen capture of what you were looking at

6. Use the select tool to select the text only from the image of your screen

7. Hit CTRL-X to crop the text out of the screenshot

8. Hit CTRL-N to open a new, blank image

9. Hit CTRL-V to paste in your text-only image

10. From the "home" menu, select "resize." Choose "pixels" and select 1024x768

You should now have a 1024x768 image of whatever text you wanted from your PDF. Repeat as necessary for however many pages. Save the images as .JPG files in the kneeboard folder path described by the others in this thread.

For a more robust, free image editing program check out https://www.getpaint.net/

Wish I could get stuff into my kneeboard *sigh* sad.gif

Still not entirely sure what problem you still have. You are just trying to load up (some) pages from a PDF onto your kneeboard right?

Why all the editting and mailing and cut-pasting arround stuff? Open up kneeboard builder, select the PDF containing the checklist.. select the pages you want, push 1 button, and your done. :huh:

601a394bbf71b6cb44fbeb6a82635da4.png

Wow I can't believe I forgot bout MS Paint, you can convert to anything. I used to use it heaps for my photo stuff. Anyway all happening beautifully now ( thanks big time to FeeFi! for that memory prompt :o) yes there's a little cropping and drag n dropping but hey I'm leaps and bounds from where I was but I'll give that Kneeboard builder a whirl, thank you Crash, I appreciate that man and the prob I was having earlier was firstly I couldn't locate my kneeboard folder then when I found it I didn't have Adobe installed so that made it a tad difficult. All systems go now tho, thanks again all for the help and also cheers Quest and Hamilton, thanks a bunch. It easy when you get to know how :o)

Gazace why dont you try Kneeboard builder app?! It's free and awesome.

It can make everything you are looking for and more.

For example ...You can install extra mods like cdu wind and make it a kneeboard page so if you fly the A10c you will always have the wind data in there. Really handy.

Kneeboard builder now works fine with ufmcd so you can have 2 kneeboards if you want.

Lot of options...

Greetings!

Edited by leostrato

Gazace why dont you try Kneeboard builder app?! It's free and awesome.

It can make everything you are looking for and more.

For example ...You can install extra mods like cdu wind and make it a kneeboard page so if you fly the A10c you will always have the wind data in there. Really handy.

Kneeboard builder now works fine with ufmcd so you can have 2 kneeboards if you want.

Lot of options...

Greetings!

Big ups for you Leo! thank you kindly brother. I will definitely be checking out Kneeboard builder and learning how to add info and use it. That wind issue is one I was going to ask about in the forum, so now you've answered my question concerning that, thanks. Where in my CDU is the wind data btw? book.gif

Just so peeps know, Gaz was trying to open the pics I sent back to him with Adobe and not a Picture program/viewer (Paint, etc..).

Correcto! All sorted now though, thanks again Q :thumbup:

Big ups for you Leo! thank you kindly brother. I will definitely be checking out Kneeboard builder and learning how to add info and use it. That wind issue is one I was going to ask about in the forum, so now you've answered my question concerning that, thanks. Where in my CDU is the wind data btw? book.gif

:)

I´ll try to explain a little more..

First you should try to understand how wind work and measures in DCS.

Boris made a great guide. Save this link!!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124711

Then how you enter the wind data and how it works.

then you will need JSGME and Kneeboard Builder software.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

In Kneeboard Builder select "Create Custom Kneeboard" then in Select Aircraft choose General DCS World Kneeboard. Move Dynamic Mission Briefing to the right.

Click on Build Custom Kneeboard for General DCS World.

Now you can see the mission briefieng in the kneeboard inside DCS.

On the left side you can create your own custom pages for the kneeboard.

now you need the JSGME MOD to enable the CDU Wind Data in the briefing. If you made the step before you will be able to see the wind data in the kneeboard.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2080541/?sphrase_id=6886913

or you can make the wind math with this excel

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/683972/

Hope it helps!

Good luck! :pilotfly:

Kneeboard builder and more..

:)

I´ll try to explain a little more..

First you should try to understand how wind work and measures in DCS.

Boris made a great guide. Save this link!!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124711

Then how you enter the wind data and how it works.

then you will need JSGME and Kneeboard Builder software.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

In Kneeboard Builder select "Create Custom Kneeboard" then in Select Aircraft choose General DCS World Kneeboard. Move Dynamic Mission Briefing to the right.

Click on Build Custom Kneeboard for General DCS World.

Now you can see the mission briefieng in the kneeboard inside DCS.

On the left side you can create your own custom pages for the kneeboard.

now you need the JSGME MOD to enable the CDU Wind Data in the briefing. If you made the step before you will be able to see the wind data in the kneeboard.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2080541/?sphrase_id=6886913

or you can make the wind math with this excel

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/683972/

Hope it helps!

Good luck! :pilotfly:

I'm speechless, thanks very muchly, that is astounding and some serious homework for me. Ok, # 3 Piercing Fury on hold. I'm very interested in getting my Mission Brief in the Kneeboard, something I've always wanted, wind schmind I'll just stick my finger out the window! It's that Brief I'm so wanting in my Cockpit, I hate pausing the action just to read it. I had a hunch there would be a way to do it, so that'll be awesome.

Too kind Leo, thank you again.

Cheers, G thumbup.gif