Is there an easier way?

Dave317

I've just started out doing a few re paints and am struggling to get them to look right.

I'm trying to change the uniform of one of the soldiers into a different camouflage design. I can edit the livery no problem but trying to match up textures where they wrap around the model is extremely difficult. Is there a way of telling which part goes where on the model or is it a case of editing it, saving it then viewing on modelviewer then re editing it again until I finally get it right.

It's exhausting.

What Home Fries said... It's excellent spatial relations training though ;)

I use a "Finder" layer when working on templates with no wireframe available. It's essentially a bunch of coloured squares with letters and numbers on them so when you use it as a skin in the game or model viewer you can read the grid number on whatever part (antenna, etc) you're interested in. It helps with finding smaller parts that are sometimes scattered around the template in the gaps between larger pieces. I can send you what I've got, I've never done anything with man sized objects in game, what's the size of the file you're working on? 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.

Edited by jocko417

Very nice idea. I'm using 1024 x 1024. I was getting the hang of it and seeing how it looked in model viewer piece by piece. I'm getting there but I've had to go away for a few days. I'll pick it up when I get back.

The finder graphic is a great tool, and I always add it as the top layer in any of my templates (or second to top if there's a wireframe layer). You can also adjust the opacity of the finder layer so you can match colors and numbers/letters with the texture behind it. I usually like 60% as a general rule so I can make out the subtle difference between colors and still see what the texture looks like.

I'm away for the week, otherwise I would post the finder graphic myself.