mig-29 lost soul mission

veit

I'm having some real trouble doing the AG bombing run in this mission with the mig-29S. I'm carrying two high-drag unguided bombs. I'm very careful to place the pipper over the designated target, keep myself lined up and the bombs release as expected. However, they almost always tend to overshoot and miss the target completely. I've tried varying altitudes and speeds, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not interested in dive-toss bombing, just a standard dive bomb. Even so, I've checked out some dive-toss bombing tutorials and there's no obvious mistakes when comparing the tutorial method with my own.

On another note, in AG mode, the HDD displays a target designator for the primary ground target, and a diamond appears on my HUD (without locking the pipper) even at the start of the mission. This seems strange as I am not sure if the mig-29s' avionics is capable of designating ground targets like that.

Well after several more tries, I've finally succeeded. One of the problems it seems is that bombing from level flight on the MiG doesn't work so well, which I was trying to do for awhile. I guess I'll try to set up some scenarios where I can figure out why exactly that happens, unless someone knows of some trajectory physics that I'm not aware of :P

Is that the one where you have to take out the crashed mig? I think I came in high for that one, very steep release like I think you are saying you did. Mostly to stay away from S2A threats but also the problem of accuracy you were having may be to do with the 'torchlight/flashlight effect'. If you strafe or line your CCIP pipper up when in a shallow dive any little error is magnified by your viewpoint's shallow anlge w/ respect to the ground - you are covering a larger area of floor with small deviations from the target.

Imagine a torch (flashlight) shining down at a 45deg angle onto a table - the area covered by the beam is larger than the pattern made when shining it straight down, even though the actual angular limits of the torch are the same.

Additionally you can 'hover' the pipper over the target in a steep dive - rather than trying to time the release for when it passes through the target.

The Diamond thing appears when ever a target is set in the ME - theres a way to stop it showing when you make a mission. I think you set the GOAL of the mission to destroy the object - rather than setting it as a TARGET. The diamond is a little unrealistic, some say its equivalent to a guy shining a laser on your target (real life practice) but thats with respect to the a-10 I think. Many community made missions avoid the diamond for this very reason. It takes the fun out of searching for the target visually or with proper instruments.

Ah, yeah you're probably right about that, didn't think about that. Diving at steeper angles makes it much easier, but it forces you to get a little close and you might catch some heat. That's why I was trying for a level toss, but I guess at long ranges this could be hard to do with the pipper. I just assumed my line-up was pretty much on when I thought the pipper was on with the diamond. I guess at longer ranges you can't assume that. I suppose trying the dive-toss method could help keep me at a safer range too.