demo of Tobii eye tracker 4c w/ M2000c in 1.5 DCS

cauldron

Haven't flown in a while for personal reasons...

But...

Here is a video some of you may enjoy. I am using tobii eye tracker 4c instead of trackir. It highlights some of the niceties of the system, apart from not needed anything on your head! just needs to have a good view of your eyes!

Anyways,

A side note... my real purpose to post this it to demo the Tobii eye tracker 4c...but, Since this in on the Mirage forums, i do have have a couple of critiques... hopefully the devs will look into it.

The RWR:

1.The constant chiming of a missile launch or lock Loooong after it is no more is a real liability to the pilot, it deceives you more than giving you pertinent information. Imagine a multi aircraft engagement, mind as well turn off the RWR for all the good the constant stream of dis-information will do, pay attention to it and you'll get killed. It is my belief that an instrument should NEVER purposefully lie to you, the fact that it chimes and screams at you for somewhere between 5 to 8 seconds is insane! Not even to speak of trying to determine elevation of a missle threat by banking and noticing when the rwr engages and disengages ( btw what is the elevation limits of the mirage rwr?)

In this video i have already killed the mig29 have gotten behind its flaming wreck and its still telling me it is launching a missile at me.... come on! Stop making instruments that purposefully lie to me... no the excuse that maybe i missed it, and its there to remind me i missed the cue, and that a missile was launched or a radar lock was made IN THE PAST has no place where second by second the situation is changing. If you want to make instruments for sucky pilots, yeah go ahead knock your self out. But in my opinion if i am a good pilot with good SA i will use the fact that I lose and reacquire RWR signals as useful data to make proper and timely decisions. If the RWR would tell me real info instead of "fake news" I could determine elevation as well as azimuth of the threat, if i also knew the elevation limits of my RWR and my bank angle, as well as terrain features... but no, this on assumes I suck at piloting and keeps telling me a missile is tracking me when it actually fell under a ridge line, or overshot me and i am free to break, nope... an instrument designed for the dummy, should the manual come in yellow, with big bold black lettering as well?

2.Also, the fact that a strong contact appears literally smack in the center of your display gives you the idea that the radar is on top of you but it could be in front, left or right or behind... its not gonna tell'ya.

Ok, rant aside... How did you guys think of the eye tracker???

fun huh ? :pilotfly:

Edited by cauldron

Yeah, i turned it on just to showcase where i was actually looking.

---

It is actually eye opening (punn :megalol:) to have something showing you where you are actually looking. It turned out that for me my sight was faster and twitchier than i could have imagined, it also preempts mouse movements. the other day i tried an exercise with the grey circle on the desktop to chase my mouse around the screen. I couldn't ! I keep "arriving" before my mouse did, i would think "hand move mouse there.." and my eyes where already be there waiting to see the pointer arrive there. some fun experiments to be had!

Looks very good man.I loved it!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Thanks!

I know its 15-min long, but i wanted to show several aspects, steady cockpit clicking and viewing, a dogfight, ground ref. maneuvers, and a runway flyby to land... or porpoise to crash, as i forgot my height from cockpit to gear on final :cry:

If i do others, i'll try to make them shorter.

Sorry for your bad experience. I disagree.

I have had Trackir for a while, and once i got the settings correct for the 4c my trackir has been relegated to when i go arcade in warthunder. i.e. its mostly been shelved.

The only point where its better is 6DoF, which is a marginal need considering how much more responsive, and precise the 4c is, and i don't need to make unrealistic head movements to look around. VR may be the future, but it has many problems at the moment.

But, i would ask however to avoid posting such categorical comments in the 5 words or less style, they really are not constructive to any discussion or debate. They really belong more in a soccer/futball match - thanks.

RWR signals as useful data to make proper and timely decisions. If the RWR would tell me real info instead of "fake news" I could determine elevation as well as azimuth of the threat, if i also knew the elevation limits of my RWR and my bank angle, as well as terrain features...

Just as an FYI, these electronic and optical sensing devices such as RWR, MWS, and D2M are far from perfect in real life too.

The real devices are only as good as what the manufacturer programmed them, so what you see in DCS may or may not represent the "not perfect" performance, but it is certainly better then 100% perfect and exact information 100% of the time, simply because this does not exist in the real world.

this on assumes I suck at piloting and keeps telling me a missile is tracking me when it actually fell under a ridge line, or overshot me and i am free to break, nope...

With regards to this you're better off to expect this kind of information from a wingman or RIO (2nd guy sitting behind you)

Apart from that the eye tracker is very cool! Thanks for the video!

I think it could be used as a tool for debrieing and learning from recordings training missions, Tacview, etc, because you can see in the recordings where the pilot was looking, as opposed to perhaps where he should have been looking :)

Cheers

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Thanks, I get your points. Though I would argue that the M2000 RWR is "very" far from perfect. As a pilot i want perfect, may not get it, just as you said... but i think the delay of

staying on" is waaay to excessive. It really needs to be turned off or ignored to make the correct move, that's really indicative of how effective it actually is.

Hopefully this can be given attention, and the details of why and how revealed.

Thats a good point in regard to turning on the gaze tracking features really shows off the ability to review where your attention was, either to self teach or be taught.:joystick:

Hi Caudron, could you explain how you install Tobii eye tracker with dcs World , is there any software to install ?

Thanks.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Ok, rant aside... How did you guys think of the eye tracker???

<irony mode>What a wonderful spy tool for marketing and big-data monsters to verify how, when and how many you watch the advertising on websites...</irony mode>

:

<irony mode>What a wonderful spy tool for marketing and big-data monsters to verify how, when and how many you watch the advertising on websites...</irony mode>

This was an honest post about a tracking hardware/software that i recently found very good better -for me- than trackir... so i wanted to share what i had found for others to see and maybe see for themselves. But you know better, i am actually a spy for Tobii marketing .. you got me. With that statement i guess i can infer that your avatar is subliminal marketing for the candy corn industry.:smilewink:

Edited by cauldron

Hi Caudron, could you explain how you install Tobii eye tracker with dcs World , is there any software to install ?

Thanks.

Sure,

The hardware attaches with a magnetic mount barely off screen on the bottom of your monitor. The software you download and it can stay running whenever you want, even on start up. it can recognize who is in front of the monitor and choose the profile for that person, and can turn on from sleep and put the monitor to sleep when you sit down or get up.

For DCS you'll need to run the "gamehub" as well, tell it where your DCS.exe file is... and set up all the settings you will want for DCS. fyi you have to tell it each time you switch from 2.1 to 1.5 until they merge to 2.5.

For my settings which are still a WiP but they are posted in the input/output section of the forums. <--- not sure how to link it too you... its on page 2 or 3 i think, you'll find it.

ps. i am using the 4c, which is the second gen. model which combines eye tracking with head tracking.

Edited by cauldron

Sure,

The hardware attaches with a magnetic mount barely off screen on the bottom of your monitor. The software you download and it can stay running whenever you want, even on start up. it can recognize who is in front of the monitor and choose the profile for that person, and can turn on from sleep and put the monitor to sleep when you sit down or get up.

For DCS you'll need to run the "gamehub" as well, tell it where your DCS.exe file is... and set up all the settings you will want for DCS. fyi you have to tell it each time you switch from 2.1 to 1.5 until they merge to 2.5.

For my settings which are still a WiP but they are posted in the input/output section of the forums. <--- not sure how to link it too you... its on page 2 or 3 i think, you'll find it.

ps. i am using the 4c, which is the second gen. model which combines eye tracking with head tracking.

Very clear, thanks for sharing your settings :thumbup:

Edited by clanitho

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits