CH Products Review

I purchased my first stick, throttle and pedals that I ever owned from CH back in 2013. I bought it when I was playing Arma 2 DayZ. A friend showed me how awesome controlling a helicopter was with their products vs my keyboard piloting. Now I was a damn fine keyboard pilot but never knew how smoooth it could be with flight gear.

I graduated into IL2: Cliffs of Dover and eventually to DCS. CH has lasted me through three different states and the moving to go with it. The product is solid and will last a long time. I would recommend this as the budget flight gear for anyone looking.

It is straight forward, the programming software is also straight forward. The build quality is durable and they back their product.

CH uses potentiometers to track the movement of all their products. Well just recently I had an issue with one in my stick and one in my pedals. My controls would drift all on their own or not respond properly.

CH told me I was no longer in warranty. After a few emails they agreed to send me one for my stick. Later my pedals had an issue and they sent one for that. The internals are basic and it was easy to replace. All connectors, no soldering required. My gear feels brand new.

I can't see needing another set of flight gear for any reason. I believe it to be the best bang for your buck flight gear you can find. Thrustmaster is over rated and giving them money for that bundle of junk just encourages them to build more junk. I've seen the videos of what people have to go through to use it.

If I buy a new stick it will be from VKB sim and not because this one failed. Just because I'm looking to try something new for fun. CH stick works great for the Huey. I can fly that better than anyone I've seen online.

I'll back CH products for a long time as long as they back their products. They've done good by me. Hope you find the same experience or think about them the next time you need some gear.

Have a good one!

CH uses potentiometers to track the movement of all their products. Well just recently I had an issue with one in my stick and one in my pedals. My controls would drift all on their own or not respond properly.

All connectors, no soldering required.

In some cases just solder the pot wires (or press the connectors with pliers) cure this drift's - caused be bad contact in that connectors.

Nice to hear your expericence, Oscar.

I just got problems in a new rig with Control Manager under Win10-64. They tried to help me for 5 email.

In the end they just gave up. So did I. I will ditch my CH set (quite old) and will change for an A-10 Warthog.

Happens.

Take care,

Sydy

Nice to hear your expericence, Oscar.

I just got problems in a new rig with Control Manager under Win10-64. They tried to help me for 5 email.

In the end they just gave up. So did I. I will ditch my CH set (quite old) and will change for an A-10 Warthog.

Happens.

Take care,

Sydy

I'm running windows 10 64 with USB CH products. Some people are trying to use older game port stuff. You download CH control manager, install it, plug in CH stuff and it works.

My HDD died and I had to go through this process. I'm already up and running again.

There is something seriously wrong on your end if your products don't work.

Also you might want to research the warthog for complaints. I would never purchase one and I fly mainly the a10c. It pains me to see how junk they are and they are about to make a whole lot of money on F18 junk. They are not worth the money they ask for. That is my opinion.

Both of my buds have the warthog and they are not completely sold on the idea but its the only hotas they own. One was a CH guy like me and thought it would be cool. He gave his CH stuff to his son and wishes he didn't.

I'm running windows 10 64 with USB CH products. Some people are trying to use older game port stuff. You download CH control manager, install it, plug in CH stuff and it works.

Hi OJ,

Tried everything on the book and never made Control Manager to work under win 10-64... I am using it in Direct mode anyway. This set is very old (10 years+) and it is time to move on.

Glad you succeeded.

All the best,

Sydy

Hi OJ,

Tried everything on the book and never made Control Manager to work under win 10-64... I am using it in Direct mode anyway. This set is very old (10 years+) and it is time to move on.

Glad you succeeded.

All the best,

Sydy

I assume their products from 10 years ago are game port then and not USB? Unless converted? Even so hat could explain the problem. 10 years of the same product is a lot of use. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to try something different.

I have CH pedals that are 10 years old, and they still work great. CH ergonomics are not that great, but their stuff does seem to last a long time.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I assume their products from 10 years ago are game port then and not USB? Unless converted? Even so hat could explain the problem. 10 years of the same product is a lot of use. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to try something different.

Nope... This is my 3rd CH set. First one was gameport and on my 2nd USB set.. First one died because of "mistreatment" flying IL2 too much...

Anyway, life goes on!

I assume their products from 10 years ago are game port then and not USB?

CH sticks are the same model since ~2000 when their previous gameport stuff receive that (now obsolete) 8 bits (256 "steeps") USB 1.1 controller.

But, different combinations of Windows versions +other programs + User :D produce different results, on TARGET side (quote from other topic):

"...because the combination of Target, TrackIR and DCS World was not stable."

Same goes with Saitek keymapper (this far more bugged).

Edited by Sokol1_br

I never found their pedals very comfortable, but still using CH HOTAS for over 12 years. :) Considered getting the Thrustmaster Warthog, but after playing around with it in the store it just didn't feel right.

No plans to change my CH gear any time soon.

So, we need more bits?

The people that allegedly notice difference* say that flight games FM became more accurate than those from 1990's. :)

Some "cyber players" WWII dogfighters say that notice difference from 10 to 12 bits (that is 4x more - like 10 is relative to 8 bits).

VKB say (il-2.ru) that for domestic desktop joystick (small movement angle) is not need more than 10 bis. But make 12 bits available in their controllers - maybe for marketing or because cost little/nothing more.

If matter, a easy upgrade for CH sticks is install a Arduino for manage axis their X, Y axes at 10 bits, leaving buttons/HAT's in original controller for program " press buttons to press keys..." ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

They can allege difference if the joystick is not a desktop joystick. I can understand 'cause the travel of the joystick (deflection) is highly increased over a desktop based joystick. The point is the size of the detection (mm per value).

A nice idea for a Mid Life Upgrade. Baur is the best choice (expensive for Europeans, but quality, cost). But, Roman keep the original controller for buttons?

Edited by Ce_Zeta
mistypo.

A nice idea for a Mid Life Upgrade. Baur is the best choice (expensive for Europeans, but quality, cost). But, Roman keep the original controller for buttons?

In some CH "modernization" the user want be able to use the Manager for "press joy buttons to press keyboard..." so the original controller is keep for buttons/HAT's.

X, Y axis is connected to modern USB controller @ 12 bits and use contactless sensors (RAMS from Komaroff I think).

Their controller don't need Windows software in games background for set axis curves but store changes in controller EPROM.

I've had a full CH HOTAS for close on 2 years now, i.e. Fighterstick, throttle and pedals. Mainly chosen after reading of so many issues with Saitek, and some level of issues with the Warthog.

Overall, they've been good. Just one gradually worsening issue with jitter on my Throttle.

That was bad enough for me to do some research, which led to me removing the base, bending slightly the 3 connector pins to the pot to better clear the sled, then taping the wires in place. Took all of 5 mins and seems to have fully cured the issue.

At some point, I'll probably purchase a VKB MCG to see what all the fuss is about, but can't say it's really pressing.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.