2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

new dogfighting logic for AI...

That is a game changer for me. Can’t come soon enough.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• ED Team
Ural :noexpression: how about C-17, B-52, B1B, S-3B

WWII C-47, Ju88 ?

Right from the newsletter:

This is part of an ongoing effort to update all older DCS World units.

Also, the C-47 and Ju-88 are coming with the asset pack.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Ural :noexpression: how about C-17, B-52, B1B, S-3B

WWII C-47, Ju88 ?

This is exactly what I think.

And especially S-3B

:cry:

Current specs: Windows 10 64bit, i7-7700K @ 4.8 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX2070-Super, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog, TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

The Urals in the screenshots are not Ural-375 though(they have a different front-grill).

They are the later Ural-4320 version - the cargo variants(with and without tent) are even of the late Ural 4320-10(from around 1993), which you can identify by the external airfilter-house on the mudguard.

JJ

Yup, abandoned... except for the P-47, Fw-190A, Mosquito, 262, two new maps, new damage model, new dogfighting logic for AI, a host of improvements and new additions for the Asset pack, (and much more)... I mean if that is your idea of abandoned that is.

yes, from my point of view WW2 is not a primary target for ED, I don't know how many months we waited for a fix for the spitfire, a simple texture, but the team was busy with the new modules like is now. And what about the Normandy that is a stutterfest??? what 2 maps? nothing that I have heard about WW2.

Edited by finch

My point of view is if the WWII is not a primary target for ED, for sure, rotary wings are their last one !

I don't know about you, but I find that during the last weeks the information published in their WE newsletters were very limited...

Fortunately, the arrival of the MIG-19 and the F-14 from Heatblur (02 third party projects !!!) have brought renewal to DCS in 2019...:music_whistling:

Edited by Razorback

I guess the Ural 375 is the most killed asset by far in DCS. Appreciate it getting some love now pinkiepieexcited.png

Next thing should be a massive crater replacing the X airfield which probably is the most bombed place on earth if you count virtual operations in... rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I dont understand how such extreme detailed damage model - hope not much CPU demanding -, in comparison with other area like weather (for example, disappearing clouds??? no more than one cloud layer???... bugs since 5 years...). I can survive with a bit "less detailed" damage models, but its difficult not realize about the lack of immersion due the bad weather implementation. No one other sim nowadays has such lower detail in weather. Please devs, take into account for future updates, of course I not give any names everyone that likes sims know what is the situation with this area in other titles. Or at least priorize in fixing cloud disappearing, stutters, etc... much more important IMHO that have hyper-detailed per "bullet" and material damage model. Thanks.

Edited by Gryzor

I'm a bit disapointed too about the ground vehicules being the priority instead of the aicraft models.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Yup, abandoned... except for the P-47, Fw-190A, Mosquito, 262, two new maps, new damage model, new dogfighting logic for AI, a host of improvements and new additions for the Asset pack, (and much more)... I mean if that is your idea of abandoned that is.

Preach, brother!

I dont understand how such extreme detailed damage model - hope not much CPU demanding -, in comparison with other area like weather (for example, disappearing clouds??? no more than one cloud layer???... bugs since 5 years...). I can survive with a bit "less detailed" damage models, but its difficult not realize about the lack of immersion due the bad weather implementation. No one other sim nowadays has such lower detail in weather. Please devs, take into account for future updates, of course I not give any names everyone that likes sims know what is the situation with this area in other titles. Or at least priorize in fixing cloud disappearing, stutters, etc... much more important IMHO that have hyper-detailed per "bullet" and material damage model. Thanks.

Yeah, weather needs an update. But AI and damage are much more important for this game.

In terms of dev resources, it may be a little over the top to model split ammo belts, but damn that's impressive!

Yeah, weather needs an update. But AI and damage are much more important for this game.

In terms of dev resources, it may be a little over the top to model split ammo belts, but damn that's impressive!

Wheather condition are at least equal in terms of importance that damage models. In combat mission its crucial from a tactical point of view the weather, among other facts. At least, fixing current bugs related with clouds disappearing with view changes and stuttering related, or MP sync, they are with us since 5 years.

I'm a bit disapointed too about the ground vehicules being the priority instead of the aicraft models.

Take account ED show on previously newsletter, and ED team members talking in the forums, has some work planned or/and in progress on aircraft's modern and WW2 (B-52, Tu-95, C-17, S-3, C-47, Ju-88, etc). Only has matter of time of some of them show on DCS by ED (example, the recent released Su-34), and not only aircrafts, ships and more coming. Other point, has some AI stuff into DCS not integrated as vehices, ships, weapons and more.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Come on, there is more than one team, just because there is one working on GVs doesn't mean it is taking away from other projects.

By the way. the DM looks Awesome!!

Edited by Andy1966

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed damage model looks great for sure and one of the things I was into from when I first fired up the simulator and I knew boy that'll take some time to learn so I started to fiddle not even playing the game and payed so much attention to the way aircraft behaved when damaged or flown weirdly and I would always tend to watch the gauges ofcourse as I never experienced so much detail before, not that I would do that on prupose by some kind of pre-concieved objective, it was all natural interest so I genuinely love this huge update to that what was driving my interest and keeping me playing DCS.

Maybe because some people lack or they don't remind themselfs of the natural interests in other things is what makes them bored in the beginning as they want to go straight to play without fully getting used to DCS, not expecting a lengthy process, I guess that's one good advice, if you aren't into 100x hours of training before you play a relaxed and fun DCS match then just fiddle with the game for 2 years as if it is a tech-demo for an engine, do weird stuff with the planes, record, benchrmark, any hey IT WORKS!

But ... sorry if I'm skipping ahead, when damage model comes to modern planes, one thing that should be part of the damage model is the simulation of emergency options of the airplanes, not that they're not right now, but they need to be refreshed to properly work with the new damage model and they actually interact, the most notable example A-10C, the backups and redundancies and circuit breakers would all be "damage-model" aware and work appropriately, and I don't mind if it gets delayed because of that, however A-10C is the beast when it comes to that so it may not be a problem on other aircraft that don't have much backup/circuit breaker stuff. Hopefully where's no some kind of limitations in A-10C legalities in terms of simulating these emergency stuff properly, there may however be lack of actual examples out there in terms of what some emergency options would do under damage, would they make side effects, would they make some things worse, would they not do anything, things like that, that can get highly complicated when there's many things damaged, some of the behavior is up to logic and up to figuring out, so I hope this is part of the whole damage model in future, A-10C being the most sophisticated to my knowledge in DCS, it deserves that depth, if this involves a lot more work than I can imagine/predict right now,then A-10C can be picked as the initial release with other planes getting support separately later, that be totally fine in such case when some stuff would have to be sitting around finished for a long time.

But hey there, what a lovely surprise ... the cherry on top, updated URAL models I wishing for, excellent, now that's my cup of tea right there, don't know why the little things get me so excited but they do :D ThankThankThank!!!

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Really! Have you've seen those things up close, especially in VR and full size?

They're like several generations old in CG, it's about time they got updated!!

Thanks Eagle Dynamics!!

And I would suspect they were purchased or outsourced models, and not done "inhouse" anyway.

The things some folks complain about, wow!!

As a matter of fact I did not. Because I'm flying at best a few hundreds feets above (but to be honest I rarely go under FL100) and at several hundred knots. On the other hand I see plenty of old aicraft model from very close distance when I intercept them for a visual ID and boy some of those look ugly.

Don't get me wrong, any upgrade is a good thing but DCS being primarly an aicraft combat simulation I expect the aicrafts being the priority. I know, it's nuts, right ?

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Most of my time in DCS(Jets and Helicopter) i do AG stuff, i switched from the Urals to the Kamaz models for my "bomb-playground" because they are much more detailed models. I'm glad ED is updating the old models, ground and air.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Don't get me wrong, any upgrade is a good thing but DCS being primarly an aicraft combat simulation I expect the aicrafts being the priority. I know, it's nuts, right ?

No, remember DCS has a battlefield simulator (air, land and sea). The detail of land systems has centred on the helo and CA environment (yes, the eternal forgiven), and of course land attack aircraft's. We dont like see "box shoes" moving by the map.

I would say ground systems represented through Combined Arms as you say has not been the highest priority in ED's book at the moment.

The vast majority of playable content is focused on planes and air to air combat. Except the Viggen we don't even have a proper AG radar after 20+ years of the franchise existence, I think it says a lot about the ground aspect of the sim'. It will come for sure, the Hornet and the Viper will have some serious options in this area and I'm eager to see what's the Viper will look like once completed.

Again, I'm glad we get upgrades. It will reinforce immersion, mainly for virtual helicopters pilots who can actually have time to appreciate these kind of details.

Updating aircraft and surface models are equally important. I am glad that more units are being created or updated and I think ED is doing an excellent job.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I wouldn't even call this over the top. DCS needs such DMs badly and it's great in which detail it will now get them soonish. Just be aware that this will probably set standards even for the next one or two decades with DCS being something like a "Flight Sim OS". They shouldn't do half baked things with that in mind.

Also, the whole weather system is being worked on as well, something with a humidity system comes to my mind.

An let the bug reports begin.... "my guns don't work"....megalol.gif biggrin.gif

It would be really awsome if the Eagle Dynamics Team would release a public version of this tool. It might mitigate a few hundred bug reports, but I doubt it. biggrin.gif

I have vivid memories of screenshots of another sim where you could enable some "look, this thing has been hit right here from that direction" arrows and you literally couldn't even see the plane anymore because it had thousands of those all over it - still flying rdlaugh.png - well, those arrows didn't represent how the bullets hit (pierced through, stuck, exploded or not, bounced off etc)... rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

New and updated variants of the venerable Ural-375 truck.

Hi NineLine

When you posted this:

Today we bring you three new and updated variants of the venerable Ural-375 truck.

I got the impression this is something that will happen with the OB update. I was wrong, sure, but in general, will these be released anytime soon? Like this year?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

When's EL Bhundehs Hot Rod making it in the OB?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||