2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

Sooo, if I understood correctly...everybody gets a supercarrier discount on prepurchase, X%, hornet owners and no hornet owners.

Hornet owners have the same X% discount as everybody else just it will extend for a longer period...

I wonder, where exactly is the "special" discount for hornet owners then???...a longer discount period is NOT a better (in percentage) discount at all.

With special discount for hornet owners I would expect a higher discount (35,40,50...%) independently of the period of discount. Honetstly, cant see how this is any "special" thing for hornet owners.

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

First, the Channel map is much different, maybe you dont own the Normandy map and dont realize that the UK side of the map is not detailed at all, the airfields are not recreated historically, the Normandy Map focus was France alone, with the UK fields added later, and again, not historically accurate.

The Channel map adds highly detailed areas in not only France, but the UK, it opens many gameplay options, historical and otherwise. It is a different location, yes I would love Malta or something like that someday, but for this plane set, this area still as a lot of untapped potentials. The areas you speak of that are "annoying" in the Normandy map are outside the detailed area of the map, and due to performance concerns, it really can't be made much bigger at this time. Not to mention Normandy is a 3rd Party map and The Channel is ED.

Thanks

I am a little concerned as I just purchased the Normandy map at the end of the winter sale and it sounds like the Channel map may render it obsolete. Are there areas of the Normandy map that will not be included in the Channel map? My assumption is that the Channel map will be will not go as far west as the Normandy map, is that correct?

Edited by sierra_gulf

Sooo, if I understood correctly...everybody gets a supercarrier discount on prepurchase, X%, hornet owners and no hornet owners.

Hornet owners have the same X% discount as everybody else just it will extend for a longer period...

I wonder, where exactly is the "special" discount for hornet owners then???...a longer discount period is NOT a better (in percentage) discount at all.

With special discount for hornet owners I would expect a higher discount (35,40,50...%) independently of the period of discount. Honetstly, cant see how this is any "special" thing for hornet owners.

This ! :thumbup:

If the Channel map and Normandy maps cover some different areas I wonder if they can be merged to include a single, larger, more detailed map?

Hi MacEwan,

The already said no.

Reference was made that the maps are by different developers. The Channel map by DCS and they will not be merged for a number of reasons.

Would be nice to see the whole area mapped out including London as another SIM that will not be mentioned has had for many years. :)

Nineline, will the channel map including the channel islands in any detail?

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Yes I know it is a different area, but c'mon.... it is the same two countries......

Wait I wanna go a further up north or south ? Gotta load another map

Environment and setting are the same

That's the way the map system works

You can fly from Georgia into Turkey, and the new Syrian map will include Turkey.

They may overlap, but they won't merge - there's a size limitation.

Hi,

Even though the pictures look amazing and it seems to be of outstanding quality, it's still a bit disappointing. I mean, (...) selling the same areas twice seems kinda fishy.

Just my two cents,

Mackers and BK both sell burgers that have most of the same ingredients - is it fishy that 2 burgers by different companies get sold as different products when most of the content is the same ?

E.D. and Ugra are separate companies selling similar but different products.

Happens all the time...

Plus, for it to be fishy, they'd have to be tricking you into buying it somehow.

They're offering it for sale, not forcing you to buy it.

If you don't think the extra content is worth your money, choose not to get it.

It sound & looks like a more interesting part of the world to me than the Normandy map (which I have always quite liked even in its early incarnations), so I think I will get it.

You will not see it, as I understand it, the mission will still work, but the unit will not be there. But we will see once it gets closer to release.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put in a low polly place-holder so the mission will still work ?

Cheers.

Any idea of what ED plans to improve in the Mission Editor and when will be added? Tought it will be announced this week, but has not been the case.

I quote myself, Nineline, can you please tell me something about this?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Another great newsletter guys, keep up the outstanding work.

Looking forward to the new Weather, Damage Modeling, and ATC, very exciting for single player and campaigns where I spend the bulk of my time.

And Phil, just watched your new video on the Channel map, great stuff. Love your content, you're one of the best creators for DCS right now.

The community mods have more patience than I could ever hope to have. I don't know how you do it. Hoggit in general has gotten so much better lately but anytime WWII content comes up the same dozen or so people get their panties in a bunch. Real Debbie Downers which is a shame.

I own almost all the modules but I'm pretty much at my limit for what I can learn and fly time wise, even with Chuck's Guides. But I'll buy new maps all day. More maps please. Going from 4 to 8 flyable maps is very exciting.

Cheers to all the people commenting staying positive and constructive. I'm sure it's appreciated by many besides myself. Happy flyin' everbody... :pilotfly:

Crikey this is one heck of an update list. Roll on 2020!

Thx ED

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I thought that the Newsletter P1 and P2 were all round FANTASTIC. I am long time DCS user and I have never been more excited about long awaited features that are now lining up.

Thank you ED!

However, there is one thing that 'slightly' concerns me until I get clarification.

Unlike some other here, being a Westfront geek, I love the idea of the Channel map. Like everyone else, I would LIKE it to merge with Normandy, but I understand it is due to tech issues. No matter I will buy it either way due do detailed UK and the scenarioæs it opens up- BUT.

Wags said numerous times specifically that the map would be 1930's to 1945. And HERE is my concerns. What we westfront geeks would like, is to CONTINUE the course of the war, from Normandy, up through the low countries and to the Rhine, effectively to the end of the war (1945).

However, the Low Countries that saw action in late 44 and 45 are not mentioned here (But they have been mentioed before, several times). A map coverage area or a confirmation/explanation here would go a long way (I will buy it no matter what) to confirm HOW we can use the map for historical scenarios.

That being said, the Dover strait did indeed have action from 1940 to 1944, so you can get plenty of use out of it either way). It just would be so cool to have a map where you can make a historical campaign going from Dunkirk to Remagen. Hope for some more clarification soon.

The screenshots are STUNNING and I can only image what it will look like with new lighting and clouds..

+1

Well everything is a subject to change. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Love the latest newsletter and stoked for the new carrier module and ocean map. Would have loved the Korean peninsula, but another day hopefully. :)

As regards to the discount for Hornet owners: Doesn't really bother me as in reality we're talking about maybe $5 here or there- but wouldn't it have saved you a lot of forum grief to simply reduce the early access discount to say, 25%, while increasing the Hornet-owner discount to 35% during the EA phase?.

I think it's always a wise strategy to keep a committed client base onside, and it'd save your head some unnecessary abuse from Mr Wall.. ;)

but wouldn't it have saved you a lot of forum grief to simply reduce the early access discount to say, 25%, while increasing the Hornet-owner discount to 35% during the EA phase?.

This is a plausible way to keep everyone happy especially Hornet owners who supported the development from the pre-order days.

The Supercarrier is a must have for me in any case.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Excited for the ww2 stuff, dont know why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over the map though, as long as its detailed and shows the UK off with landmarks i say its great, especially with the mosquito coming.

i do wonder how they're going to model it correctly though given the fact there surely cant be images of the entire area they plan to do?

• ED Team
I am a little concerned as I just purchased the Normandy map at the end of the winter sale and it sounds like the Channel map may render it obsolete. Are there areas of the Normandy map that will not be included in the Channel map? My assumption is that the Channel map will be will not go as far west as the Normandy map, is that correct?

Hi,

welcome to the forum.

The Channel map will have some overlap but it is low detail, all the high detail areas and the focus of The Channel map is further up the English channel in a different location from Normandy.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Excited for the ww2 stuff, dont know why everyone is getting their panties in a twist over the map though, as long as its detailed and shows the UK off with landmarks i say its great, especially with the mosquito coming.

It's not very difficult to understand that a second Channel map may seem a but redundant, especially when it's simply an extension (geographically, if not in terms of content) of what's already there. It's not like there aren't a bajillion other areas that would be relevant for the time period and which would add actual variety, not just in the terrain but in what should be around in the sky.

We have the 109 and the Ishak, so why not do something innovative like a Spanish Civil War map, for instance? Or the Battle of Greece? Or the Siege of Leningrad? Why just do the same stretch of coast, only a little bit more to the east, when there are so many more interesting options? It might be a bit too harsh to call it outright lazy, so let's settle for… unimaginative.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

If normandy expands to the east then the channel map should expand to the south as far as france is concernet, problem solved :)

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The update mentioned that the Mi24 would be the "next helicopter" to come to DCS. Does this mean it will be released before the Kiowa? That would be surprising - the Kiowa is already being demo'd on livestreams and we haven't seen an exterior model for the Hind...

The Hind was already teased by Wags (prematurely, as after it the engine found missing flight dynamics features in helicopters and requires fixing all of them) if I remember correctly, it was the F-5 video, in same the Yak-52 was as well teased just before release. The yes Yak was at the left side on start, and Hind was at right side at end of taxiing.

It was the famous "What is that Hind doing here?" phrase. But after that there has been new helicopters flight modeling changes that requires all helicopters flight modeling to be redone, that has likely been major reason to delay Hind.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Everyone will save during Preorder and Early Access, Hornet owners will continue to save after release.

Hashed out.

And our Anti Torch and Pitchfork system is state of the art.

That is not very polite! :huh:

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B