2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

10 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

when is it expected to have the new clouds? @Bignewy: Are planned before april, as you said in others newsletters? thanks

Plan is to either have it at the end of March, though April is probably more realistic.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 hours ago, Razorback said:

I agree with your point, you are right, but we don't ask for a date. ED has announced that some modules should be ready during Q1, others during Q2 and it's fine for me. I think that everybody can live with such information.
But my point is, for exemple, that ED has annouced the release of the Mosquito before the Hind. We don't have any news on the mosquito since weeks.
Same for the OH-58, we don't even have information on the current status of this module.
Everybody know that the 2.7 is coming and is still currently expected in the coming days...as announced by ED.
Is it still the reality or can we expect a delay as it is the case for the AH-64 Apache pre-order ?

Thats' just simple questions on which ED can give simple answers...😉

When I read comments like this (and I don't want to pick on Razorback specifically since there are lots of comments in this thread that are similar) I have to wonder whether people are bored with the features already present. Personally I feel as if I have years of learning to do and enjoyment to be had even if no new features are released. And I've been flying DCS for years now. Why all the urgency for new features? The old ones are fantastic! Yes I want bugs fixed and promised features delivered on products I bought based on those promises. But I'd rather that whole new modules and updates are released when they are ready and don't see any need for date promises.

• Like 7

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

People are just excited - DCS 2.7 is looking to be one of if not the biggest update to DCS.

But definitely agree about waiting until they're ready, ED have learned a lesson from 2.5.6 last year and it looks like it has definitely worked.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

58 minutes ago, sthompson said:

When I read comments like this (and I don't want to pick on Razorback specifically since there are lots of comments in this thread that are similar) I have to wonder whether people are bored with the features already present. Personally I feel as if I have years of learning to do and enjoyment to be had even if no new features are released. And I've been flying DCS for years now. Why all the urgency for new features? The old ones are fantastic! Yes I want bugs fixed and promised features delivered on products I bought based on those promises. But I'd rather that whole new modules and updates are released when they are ready and don't see any need for date promises.

Passions are sometimes heighteined to excess...😁

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, guimcdo said:

Hello ED Team,

Extract from News letter

pre-calculated ray tracing

Could you please give us more information on it ? Do you plan to use DXR ray tracing from DirectX ?

Thanks

lol. pre-calculated ray tracing reads like marketing-speak for baked-in-reflection. since we already have those, it's probably still only marketing-speak for "baked-in-reflection but more pretty this time"... i'm still looking forward to any improvment though, so thumbs up, i guess...

• Like 2

Likely it's reflection probes, takes on the current lighting but not real-time raytracing. Much more performant than raytracing at the expense of real-time accuracy.

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

• ED Team

1 hour ago, twistking said:

lol. pre-calculated ray tracing reads like marketing-speak for baked-in-reflection. since we already have those, it's probably still only marketing-speak for "baked-in-reflection but more pretty this time"... i'm still looking forward to any improvment though, so thumbs up, i guess...

The reflection maybe pre-calculated but they are dynamic, it brings a whole new feel to to cockpit. Spent some time moving around the pit in vr looking at the different reflections and I am impressed.

Thanks

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have no idea what RT is, but does ray-tracing effect shadows also?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

The reflection maybe pre-calculated but they are dynamic, it brings a whole new feel to to cockpit. Spent some time moving around the pit in vr looking at the different reflections and I am impressed.

Thanks

Is there any possibility we might get a video demonstration before release? Sounds like interesting tech.

Might also help settle a lot of the low/high expectations if it is a bit clearer what the result looks like.

Edited by Aarnoman
  • Like 2

• ED Team
Just now, Aarnoman said:

Is there any possibility we might get a video demonstration before release? Sounds like interesting tech.

If I know GlowingAmraam at all I know he likes to show off new things in videos 🙂 , I imagine we will see some sneak peak before release

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

is the ray tracing the same with Nvidia‘ RTX series technology?

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

11 hours ago, pimp said:

I have no idea what RT is, but does ray-tracing effect shadows also?

I mean, you can use it for that, but I think DCS shadows are absolutely fine as they are.

System:

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

I mean, you can use it for that, but I think DCS shadows are absolutely fine as they are.

Not to mention real time hardware accelerated ray tracing is in its infancy, and the performance penalty is huge. RT is also just starting to be an open standard and not a vendor-specific feature... I think we are still a few years away from RT being a must-have feature. Right now it’s a nice-to-have eye-candy that’s mostly reserved for AAA big budget games, not for serious sims.

Great to see those news about Mosquito and Hind there. I am genuinely excited about both those modules.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 4

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

40 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

Not to mention real time hardware accelerated ray tracing is in its infancy, and the performance penalty is huge. RT is also just starting to be an open standard and not a vendor-specific feature... I think we are still a few years away from RT being a must-have feature. Right now it’s a nice-to-have eye-candy that’s mostly reserved for AAA big budget games, not for serious sims.

Great to see those news about Mosquito and Hind there. I am genuinely excited about both those modules.

Not exactly the same thing but ray-casting does have its uses in DCS when it comes to modelling RADARs, particularly those that display raw RADAR video - the Tomcat does it and does so pretty damn well.

System:

6 hours ago, flankerjun said:

is the ray tracing the same with Nvidia‘ RTX series technology?

Again, they're most likely not going to actually use any hardware raytracing. They're pre-baked, and making them real-time after that would defeat the purpose.

Cutting through the marketing speak, this most likely means that they've run a ray tracer on the developer end, and baked the results into a shader where they can reduce the whole thing to parametrise the head position so you get different reflections depending on where it is, and maybe also feeding the gauge and MFD textures into that solution. DCS is not getting ray tracing — if it did, it would be a huge deal and wouldn't be relegated to a subclause for a random item in a section on cockpit decorations.

• Thanks 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

there are bunch of hind pics for this week's newsletter in the site.

pre-purchse can be imminent

dcs-world-mi-24-hind-03-flight-simulator

• Like 4

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

One screenshot has a cheeky tease of a new SA-6 model.

dcs-world-mi-24-hind-00-flight-simulator

And is that a new BTR-80 too?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

System:

I wonder if they will make an announcement about the Mosquito?

Only 5 days left until end of Q1, and with no official announcement given as yet about any delay I'm still holding them to their current official line of quote "The Mosquito is planned to be released into early access by the end of the 1st quarter of 2021"....

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

"planned" is the key word for ED

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

26 minutes ago, bart said:

I wonder if they will make an announcement about the Mosquito?

Only 5 days left until end of Q1, and with no official announcement given as yet about any delay I'm still holding them to their current official line of quote "The Mosquito is planned to be released into early access by the end of the 1st quarter of 2021"....

Considering that the next patch is now: "Planned 7th April 2021 (subject to change)" you will be probably disappointed despite the wording planned in the announcement and not "promised"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

One screenshot has a cheeky tease of a new SA-6 model.

Which is less subtle than SA-6 radar tease in the Hornet HARM video released by Wags recently. 

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Obligatory +2 weeks and maybe the Rhino 2 weeks after that...that should coincide nicely with my new build much of which should be here in two weeks. 😛😜 

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog