2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Meh, fair enough then - if that's what works for you, and you're the person who actually deals with it then that's absolutely fine.

No problem, we know it wont please everyone, that is not always possible. 

Thank you for your patience. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Not sure what the big deal is. Date gets pushed back, people are going to want to talk about it. Not sure what's worst, the group that voices their concerns or the group that is upset that other people have concerns. ED's communication policy in this is adequate given the situation. It's not bad, or good, it just is what is necessary. No need to question everything now.

@BIGNEWYWe appreciate the info when it becomes available. I'm sure many are curious about what the issues are and I'm equally sure that there's no harm in saying "more testing required" like you did. 

Now, having said that... ED can handle being the butt of a few jokes here and there, they know the deal and there's no reason for a holier than thou attitude (from other forum posters, not 9L or BN, they are doing what they have to). Let people have fun with it. This goes out for the various people asking ED to minimise their predictions to quarterly estimates (lol) and or try to backseat moderate this forum and judging it a bad place. The forum wouldn't be better if you banned everyone asking curious questions. It would be worse. You would be talking to yourself. Calm down, let everyone be. As long as they're not disrupting the forum, the only harm is that you have to scroll past their posts. Not everyone lives on the forum 24/7 and can read every response in real time. 🙂

Edited by Slant
  • Like 2

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Not surprisingly, ED never made good estimates, there was always a delay (remember ex hormuz map and new atc...)

Do not wait 2.7 on the stable version before the end of summer.

Edited by hanab
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Great...:( 

What's the point of releasing dates, if they are just gonna change them every week? 

Wow, your post should be a sticky for those that ask for dates. Perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't. ED always provides disclaimers on release dates. So you must have selective reading which is probably why you missed the "subject to change" disclaimer after the date.

• Like 8

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I for one like it very much that ED gives estimates and later dates where we can expect things. 

I understand subject to change very well, and it is really nice that they tell us about delays as soon as they can. 

In my opinion ED and particularly @BIGNEWY as well as @NineLine do excellent work in keeping the community informed through here and other channels. Better job that the weekly newsletters in fact.

if @MAESTR0 and @Wags keep feeding their YT channels I can wait for how long it needs to be waited for. We will get there.

Good work guys!

Enjoy Easter everyone!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 hour ago, Corvine said:

It's just a game.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but DCS is so much more than a game ... it's the best flight Simulator available to consumers 🙂

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Personally, I'm fine with projected Release Dates. I like knowing the window that they're aiming for, even if there's volatility in that.

I'd interested in seeing some fact-checking around the statements to the effect of "They never hit their dates, so why give them in the first place?" Purely anecdotally, my sense is that the dates that BigNewy's given in the Patch Status thread over the past few months have been hit far more than they've been missed. I could be wrong, but that's been my perception.

• Like 5

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

7 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

The solution is simple. The group that is fine with ED's way does not have to change anything. Those how are bothered because of constant delays simply add a month or a quarter or whatever they are comfortable with to the planned dates. Those have the chance to be happily surprised now and then. This is not meant sarcastically. It works.

Better than that, those who are so terribly affected by ED changing release dates can just ignore the thread with the Patch Status date in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

Better than that, those who are so terribly affected by ED changing release dates can just ignore the thread with the Patch Status date in it.

A true self inflicted problem! Don't read the updates and their expectations wont ever risk being tragically shattered =D

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

17 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Dates do slip all the time, its reality for all sorts of things. I worked in a job where we had to provide delivery deadlines and I always added a bit extra onto what I thought at the outset. Saved me a few times. Also got me brownie points a few times for delivering early. Either way its not the end of the world... I guess....

In reality, your boss wouldn't allow you to add extra time in the first place... he'd give you half of what you actually need icon_question.png

17 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Yeah. I was waiting for a parcel last week and the app said it would arrive around 1100 on the 24th... hell, it came 1330 on the 24th.

Why do they announce arrival at all if they can't make it?

Was sitting right at the door for two and a half hours straight waiting for it! Damn, how angry i was! I still am! Never ever get a parcel again! I quit!

Well, reality is, since teh röyna, they won't even ring the doorbell, just drop a note on where to pick the stuff up. Then again me: "You guys had ONE job!" dealwithit.png

13 hours ago, hanab said:

Not surprisingly, ED never made good estimates, there was always a delay (remember ex hormuz map and new atc...)

Patient ones have learnt from the past. The new graphics engine EDGE was initially announced for release in 2013 and actually came into Open Beta with 2.5 in 2018. Just sayin'.

I mean, given the date of April 2nd, the change could be an April Foal's joke. And yes, I kinda hoped for it, but well, it it does take even longer, so be it. Jabbers just reminded me with his video, how long it took to load up the first 2.5.6 version. I just don't want to live through that again. It will be good when it'S actually out awesome.png

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

4 hours ago, Eldur said:

In reality, your boss wouldn't allow you to add extra time in the first place... he'd give you half of what you actually need icon_question.png

Well, reality is, since teh röyna, they won't even ring the doorbell, just drop a note on where to pick the stuff up. Then again me: "You guys had ONE job!" dealwithit.png

Patient ones have learnt from the past. The new graphics engine EDGE was initially announced for release in 2013 and actually came into Open Beta with 2.5 in 2018. Just sayin'.

I mean, given the date of April 2nd, the change could be an April Foal's joke. And yes, I kinda hoped for it, but well, it it does take even longer, so be it. Jabbers just reminded me with his video, how long it took to load up the first 2.5.6 version. I just don't want to live through that again. It will be good when it'S actually out awesome.png

Edge came in 2015 in 1.5 update, not in 2018. What we had in 2018 was updated caucasus terrain.

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1

dcs-world-flight-simulator-supercarrier-

dcs-world-flight-simulator-supercarrier-

dcs-world-flight-simulator-mariana-islan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

No problem, we know it wont please everyone, that is not always possible. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Keep up the good work, I for one, am grateful.

When I used to code for a living, I would say,  "on time, on budget, working out of the box"  "pick any two"...

Edited by MNissen
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, MNissen said:

Keep up the good work, I for one, am grateful.

When I used to code for a living, I would say,  "on time, on budget, working out of the box"  "pick any two"...

Thank you for the kind words and support.

Have a good Easter weekend. 

• Like 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, CommandT said:

Are we still looking for 2.7 release this coming Wednesday? 

No. They're shooting for the 14th, but no promises.

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you for the kind words and support.

Have a good Easter weekend. 

Thanks for all you guys do.  Yes, it's a business, but I love DCS so very much.  Be well.

• Like 5

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Golfs sim... lol I hope it’s in VR. 

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 4/1/2021 at 5:56 AM, BIGNEWY said:

We make plans, we share them with you all, if plans change we let you all know. Everything is subject to change, we make it very clear. 

thanks

You make it crystal clear.

Hence my frustration, and my sometimes snarky responses to the outrage of missed dates. Hopefully, I am not making things worse.

In the podcast, you gave a very good in-depth response to the DCS "audience" types ( @NineLine actually, but everyone makes clear the potential for change) . You mentioned how, on the other side of every question, is a human being, and they have a variety of factors driving their questions or grievances. You also detailed how the Developers are human to, and folks need to factor that in.

Honestly, that was the best part of the podcast for me. You were reaching out, and explaining to everyone how all responses have some merit, and the fact that someone took the time to post, regardless of intent, is taken into consideration by DCS/ED, and yourself.

That, in and of itself, should illustrate to folks the group that is heading up this fantastic SIM, and yes dates will be missed, but if everyone would listen to that podcast, and hear your response, they would understand the team is not making these decisions lightly or vicariously to make folks upset.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).