2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

20 minutes ago, Jack_Veil said:

Viper's users, like me, obviously love the last huge amount of update to the F-16!! 🤔😂

I mean, I find it understandable. They're trying to get the Hornet 'finished' and once it is then work can be kickstarted on the Viper. I see a huge amount of progress on the Viper happening over the next 6 months. I just think... it isn't magic, they've got limited resources and budget and they're doing the best they can, so... patience 🤞

• Like 5

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

hace 3 horas, LooseSeal dijo:

I mean, I find it understandable. They're trying to get the Hornet 'finished' and once it is then work can be kickstarted on the Viper. I see a huge amount of progress on the Viper happening over the next 6 months. I just think... it isn't magic, they've got limited resources and budget and they're doing the best they can, so... patience 🤞

patience is the mother of science

I really cant say I'm excited by the new propellers (and I fly WW2), I mean apart from Youtube movie makers who's movies maybe will look better, sounds like it to took a bit of time and effort to get them working nice, so many little things in DCS that need tweaking or fixing that should have been way ahead of some thing like this being implemented, the eye candy will keep us distracted though.

Still looking forward to the F18 updates.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, - Voight - said:

New propeller tech looks mindboggling. Like you could feel the power of the engine. What a great addition!

I wonder if the same tech in appropriate dimension will be applied to the rotor blades of Hind and Apache(?).

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

47 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

I wonder if the same tech in appropriate dimension will be applied to the rotor blades of Hind and Apache(?).

I´ve read yesterday somewhere in the forums, that Bignewy replied to that question, that they don´t know yet, if the tech is scalable to helo rotor size and how it may look like there.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

7 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

I really cant say I'm excited by the new propellers (and I fly WW2), I mean apart from Youtube movie makers who's movies maybe will look better, sounds like it to took a bit of time and effort to get them working nice

On the contrary. The current propellers in DCS are terrible in VR, break reprojection and just look bad, so if they made them appear more realistic, that's certainly a step in the right direction. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 3

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

I honestly think the representation of a propeller or rotor is the hardest thing to accomplish in a visual. I'm also impressed by the movie. I think due to the large range of RPM's a solution for a rotor will be completely different from that of a prop. Considering also the monitor's refresh rate and GPU frame rates it's quite an accomplishment as it is already (not even mentioning the challenges for VR...) 

• Like 2

14 ore fa, LooseSeal ha scritto:

I find understandable to publish a plane with half or less of the capabilities that it should have, meanwhile push forward to new things.. I mean, it will look much better if they finish the Hornet, then publish the Viper. 
If you had bought the Viper, you would probably understand.
But if you only bought the Hornet, I understand that you don't understand this frustration.

52 minutes ago, Jack_Veil said:

I find understandable to publish a plane with half or less of the capabilities that it should have, meanwhile push forward to new things.. I mean, it will look much better if they finish the Hornet, then publish the Viper. 
But if you only bought the Hornet, I understand that you don't understand this frustration.

i bought the yak-52 😔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack_Veil said:

I bought Hornet and Viper and right now i fly much more the Viper, with that i find understandable that they stop (which is not) the development of the Viper to finish the Hornet, remember they did exactly the same thing but on reverse to push the development of Viper months ago and i don´t see Viper users complaining about that.

I prefer to have the Viper right now the way it are that they finish the Hornet on next patch and release a more complete Viper on the next six months, i have enjoyed much the Viper until now

Edited by 5ephir0th
  • Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Between the clouds and the prop calculations I'm starting to wonder how my framerate will like 2.7.  😟  I hope the impact is minimal.

And before I get jumped all over - as is all too common on here - I'm not complaining or advocating for keeping things static. I'm as eager to see the new toys as anyone.

• Like 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

10 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Between the clouds and the prop calculations I'm starting to wonder how my framerate will like 2.7.  😟  I hope the impact is minimal.

And before I get jumped all over - as is all too common on here - I'm not complaining or advocating for keeping things static. I'm as eager to see the new toys as anyone.

Specially in VR... I´m afraid not reaching 45 fps in reprojection with my current config (3090 and 5900X...)

41 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Maybe they've both been optimised (hoping so).  It's possible that the new props might require fewer resources than the existing ones.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

7 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

It's possible that the new props might require fewer resources than the existing ones.

I recall ED commenting that the new prop effects actually improve performance, I think it was either a YT comment or a FB comment.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

8 hours ago, Harker said:

I recall ED commenting that the new prop effects actually improve performance, I think it was either a YT comment or a FB comment.

Correct, it was a NineLine comment on YT.

• Like 2

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

On 4/9/2021 at 7:35 PM, Hotdognz said:

I really cant say I'm excited by the new propellers (and I fly WW2), I mean apart from Youtube movie makers who's movies maybe will look better, sounds like it to took a bit of time and effort to get them working nice, so many little things in DCS that need tweaking or fixing that should have been way ahead of some thing like this being implemented, the eye candy will keep us distracted though.

Still looking forward to the F18 updates.

There's a little more to these new props than eye-candy: 

"A notable update coming to 2.7 is our unique and new technology that calculates the exact location of every propeller blade. This offers the possibility to draw a very accurate representation of the spinning propeller dependent on the type of prop, the number of blades, specific RPM and prop pitch.

This approach allows for smoother blade transitions from still, to idle, through to taxing and take off, as well as proper transparency from all viewing angles, aircraft speeds, power settings and blade pitch"

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Okay, so about the newsletter where it mentioned that more than 10 V-1 launch sites have been added.

Firstly, the area has been corrected to better reflect reality (mostly by making the road layout more accurate and removing building), but none of the structures are there at all - it's essentially just a flat area of land. It's especially noticeable at some of the larger structures - the patch notes mentioned Wizernes, which I'm pretty certain refers to a planned V-2 site, the site is pretty famous and is called La Coupole "The Dome", due to its massive dome - this is not present on the map. Same with Siracourt, which was a planned V-1 launch and storage site, the road layout lines up with Google Earth, but the famous bunker isn't there at all.

Here's a link to a post I did about it in the DCS Channel subforum.

Secondly the .lua locking - they haven't just locked the .lua files of the weapons (and IC should pick up on those anyways), they've also locked all the .lua files for all of the stock units. This is pretty disappointing as I used these files to correct the various display names and to format them to how I personally like it - low hanging fruit - not really important, sure, but this is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Spoiler

Worse, is that personally, the new naming system for ground units and ships didn't fix it, and in some cases even made it worse. 

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

As our online community grows and grows, we recognise that ensuring a level playing field for all has become an important matter and therefore, on popular demand we have locked the LUA files relating to weapon systems. 

@BIGNEWY @NineLine  Can you guys link me to the thread where this popular demand was requested by DCS users  please?

Is not the job of online IC supposed to deal with cheating ?

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

As our online community grows and grows, we recognise that ensuring a level playing field for all has become an important matter and therefore, on popular demand we have locked the LUA files relating to weapon systems.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

Secondly the .lua locking - they haven't just locked the .lua files of the weapons (and IC should pick up on those anyways), they've also locked all the .lua files for all of the stock units. This is pretty disappointing as I used these files to correct the various display names and to format them to how I personally like it - low hanging fruit - not really important, sure. But this is a bit of a kick in the teeth.  

My 2¢: I haven't had the time to run 5118 yet to see it, since it already happened. But my first thought was "isn't that what the IC is there for?". On top of that, I never saw any of that "popular demand".

EDIT: Being totally out of whack, I should not try checking my folders with a complete and utter lack of sleep rdlaugh.png

I was looking into "DCS World" and not "DCS World OpenBeta" facehoof.png

My supposed Mods\aircraft list was shrunk down to that:

A-10C
Bf-109K-4
F-5E
F-86
Flaming Cliffs
FW-190D9
Ka-50
L-39C
M-2000C
Mi-8MTV2
MiG-15bis
MIG-21BIS
P-51D
Su-25T
TF-51D
Uh-1H

And I thought ED has been locking more recent modules out of that visible structure to prevent us from altering things in there... mlp-tlazy.png

It's all still there just fine yay.png

I'll keep the original "rant" in for some laughs fsgrin.png

Spoiler

My old, not relevant grain of salt, just because I browsed the wrong DCS inst...

But now let's get real here. They even removed most of the mods from the Mods\aircraft folder substructure, making it absolutely impossible to edit the input luas which is vitally mandatory for me to run and actually use DCS, since I rely on heavy editing of those to compensate for the utter lack of proper bindings on many modules (2/3 way switches anyone? But also many switches that are just not mappable by default), but also having revamped some of the default mappings I don't want to change for every single module separately (some view keys, SP time control etc) and - for the now rare cases of me flying in pancake, but still very important - my fixed 30-60-90 deg zoom level keys. ED inherently broke that with the hotfix and I'm now officially offended. Worst move ever. Thanks for ruining the utterly great experience I had with those clouds for just a mere week.

Add: I just checked, my custom mappings still do load, but they all have been unmapped. Although that might have been my own fault, I loaded the sim without my input files once to take some screenshots of things.

Nevertheless, I won't be able to copy over changes anymore in the future it it stays like that since I can't see the original files anymore when they get updated and I'd have to alter mine accordingly. Always loved how open DCS was in this regard and it often was possible to fix some issues without having to wait for updates.

I really hope that will be reverted, at least for the input code. I sometimes (very rarely though) made some fun of editing some weapons data just for the LOLs in SP (things like higher RoF or higher shell velocity just to see how this changes things - and, most importantly, less for the LOLs, I changed the M61 and GAU-8 dispersion values before ED officially improved those), but I can live without being able to do that, but being able to optimize and personalize the controls is a must. A good portion of that has been taken away, and we need to get it back since all that massively influences how DCS can be used, it directly affects our interaction with the sim. Would highly appreciate.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• ED Team

The change is necessary to ensure a level playing field in multiplayer,

there is already a community tool available to view the files, you just wont be able to edit them. 

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

56 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

The change is necessary to ensure a level playing field in multiplayer

Isn't that what the IC is for?

56 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

There is already a community tool available to view the files, you just wont be able to edit them. 

Damn, I was hoping to make the new buses be able to be driven directly using CA, among other things... 

Spoiler

Yes, I did just say that. Don't judge me!

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

58 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

The change is necessary to ensure a level playing field in multiplayer,

Why is it necessary? What does it solve that existing solution can't do, and in particular, how does it solve the implied problem that what's on the client's system affects others? Doesn't that mean they can just circumvent this whole measure in three seconds flat by downloading something as basic and trivial as CheatEngine or some similar real-time memory editor?

Because that's really how this thing reads: you're saying that IC is dead code that can be ripped out because it serves no purpose, and that cheating in MP can be done with the most readily available tools commonly used to cheat in single-player games…

58 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

there is already a community tool available to view the files, you just wont be able to edit them.

…which means that it can't be tested.

Look, I'm all for your exposing critical values in a browsable database so you don't have to wade through dozens of overlapping LUA files to figure out how SA-10 target selection and unit linking works, but that's a pretty mundane use-case that entertains data divers like myself — it doesn't help with the the most useful use case of having direct (editable) access to the values. And there really shouldn't be a need for a community tool to begin with.

• Like 5

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧