2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

So you get a months free of everything each year? I’m sure ED have market research to back up this decision but it does seem like a lot to give away. It’s refusing cash for those impulse purchases… Didn’t Matt W say that the modal time of use of a DCS module was 10 minutes? That’s a heck of a lot of people buying then never really getting beyond their first flight, now they can put their toe in the water without buying.

At least no one with a flight stick has an excuse for not installing DCS and giving whatever takes their fancy a try now.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Flia said:

Stable branch ? What is it ? 😄

It is where ponies are literally jailed. So nothing for me. I prefer Open Clear Skies... and Open Beta awesome.png

13 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Su-27S Flanker?!?!

Innit? I mean they never called the FC3 thing Su-27S officially even though (or I didn't see it) that's the one we've always had... anyway, we've had that highlighting of existing FC3 modules as single things in newsletters more than once in the past.

12 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That article could be better, it doesn't even mention a Su-27S, just the T-10S prototype. The German one says it's basically the same as the Su-27P (where the P usually is omitted) which was the initial interceptor/fighter variant, but with added capabilities for unguided bombs and rockets, entering service in 1985. I think the main source of that article is Andy Gröning: Su-27. Motorbuch, Stuttgart 2017, ISBN 978-3-613-03951-3.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So this only applies to total newcomers that don't own any modules?  I'm unable to download any 'free' modules that I don't already own in the module manager, it still says 'buy' for all of them.  Is this only for Stable branch or something?

EDIT:  Had to search for the solution (why ED?  Why make it complicated?), but see that you have to login at the website first and then attach it to your account, which is NOT the way the free trials have been in the past.

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

26 minutes ago, Eldur said:

Innit? I mean they never called the FC3 thing Su-27S officially even though (or I didn't see it) that's the one we've always had... anyway, we've had that highlighting of existing FC3 modules as single things in newsletters more than once in the past.

Yeah, that's on ED for maybe being a bit lazy with how the name things.

In any case, we have the first production Su-27, which domestically is known as the Su-27S - at least from what I can find.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, s for seria or production version. After that came Su-27SM serie modernisatsia, modernised. Etc.

Anyway. Congratulations ED on the new marketing model. Its incredibly generous and I hope and guess it's going to lead to great sales conversion. Good job. Smart move. Bold one too. A far cry from the days of StarForce, no?

• Like 2

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

So this only applies to total newcomers that don't own any modules?  I'm unable to download any 'free' modules that I don't already own in the module manager, it still says 'buy' for all of them.  Is this only for Stable branch or something?

EDIT:  Had to search for the solution (why ED?  Why make it complicated?), but see that you have to login at the website first and then attach it to your account, which is NOT the way the free trials have been in the past.
I guess they do it this way make sure you enable the correct module to try out. Instead of having a bunch idiots downloading everything they don't own, and complain they have to wait another six months months to do it again because they didn't get to try them out the way they wanted too. And it also makes it easier to try out the modules on the map the modules seems fit.
Don't you think?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

aleader can you provide a link on where you found instructions, have the same questions and see no where to link anything to an account.   Thanks

What do you mean?
You want to link you're Steam account?
Just login to ED website, enter profile, should be there.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Knock-Knock said:

Well Im guessing new modules will fall under this too, so try the Hind, Apache etc, before buying. So can give it a go and see if the given state of EA meets personal requirements, and then try again in 6 months later if it didnt, and see how it is then.

Not only nice for us all to be able to try out new releases, but this will absolutely encourage more people to try DCS in the first place, which means a larger playerbase, and that should benefit us all too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

image.png

Yep. Going down.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

51 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Forgot the tekst. emoji2361.png
Yesterday's video. About 4:10.
So since ED has "declined" it. Will HB do it? One of their secret aircraft?

Nope. As you see, it's going down, the jockey ejected. Sorry.

9 hours ago, aleader said:

Actually the link in the newsletter takes you exactly to the trial license page of your ED website account.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

19 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I guess they do it this way make sure you enable the correct module to try out. Instead of having a bunch idiots downloading everything they don't own, and complain they have to wait another six months months to do it again because they didn't get to try them out the way they wanted too. And it also makes it easier to try out the modules on the map the modules seems fit. emoji6.png
Don't you think? emoji4.png

What do you mean?
You want to link you're Steam account?
Just login to ED website, enter profile, should be there.
Hope this helps. emoji4.png
Cheers!

The usual flight-simmer snark isn't necessary, unless it's a language barrier thing?  Calling newcomers 'a bunch of idiots' is why a lot of people despise the flight sim/wargame community.  Lighten up, it's a game.  It IS NOT easy to find the instructions on the Steam website (ZERO mention of it in the newsletter), and not everyone goes to the homepage of the website as it is often NOT updated (and yah, I've been around a while).  I found it in the forums, but only by searching the threads as there is no sticky that doesn't require you to guess which page the latest newsletter is on.  Now, having gone to the homepage I see it takes you directly to the place you need to go (for once).  

12 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Actually the link in the newsletter takes you exactly to the trial license page of your ED website account.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

Yes, as I say above, on the website.  I think people here seem to forget or discount the fact that the Steam community is far bigger and many go there for their information.  The Steam newsletter doesn't say anything about how to get the trial, look it up.

12 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Haha! Yeah, the pixel pilot. emoji4.png

Is this some inside nerd-joke or something?  I don't get it...

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

1 hour ago, aleader said:

I think people here seem to forget or discount the fact that the Steam community is far bigger and many go there for their information.  The Steam newsletter doesn't say anything about how to get the trial, look it up.

Wonder where you got that fact that the Steam DCS community is far bigger, I've never seen any statistics from ED disclosing that type of information.

I understand that this new trial is not for the Steam version of DCS, so it makes sense that it is not mentioned on the Steam newsletter.

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 6/12/2021 at 8:51 AM, MAXsenna said:

Forgot the tekst. emoji2361.png
Yesterday's video. About 4:10.
So since ED has "declined" it. Will HB do it? One of their secret aircraft?

I rewatched all of them released within the last week around that timestamp (like +-30s), that shot you posted was nowhere to be found. Which one actually?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 6/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Wonder where you got that fact that the Steam DCS community is far bigger, I've never seen any statistics from ED disclosing that type of information.

I understand that this new trial is not for the Steam version of DCS, so it makes sense that it is not mentioned on the Steam newsletter.

The Steam community as a whole is much larger.  A lot of the people on here were originally on Steam and probably became aware of DCS through Steam (myself included), which makes a lot of sense.  For almost every other release/sale/event, the newsletter on Steam always includes the same information as on the website in my experience, even if it's not offered on Steam.  This, again, makes sense, if ED actually wants new players to buy their product that is.  

1 hour ago, aleader said:

The Steam community as a whole is much larger.  A lot of the people on here were originally on Steam and probably became aware of DCS through Steam (myself included), which makes a lot of sense.  For almost every other release/sale/event, the newsletter on Steam always includes the same information as on the website in my experience, even if it's not offered on Steam.  This, again, makes sense, if ED actually wants new players to buy their product that is.  

Quote your sources ?  Otherwise your just making stuff up to suit your argument, a fairly common trait here,  I’m sure if ED need marketing advice they will hire you on the basis of .......?? 

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi all, 

please return to discussing the newsletter, the purpose of this thread. 

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2