2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

• ED Team
On 9/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, Harker said:
On 9/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, Phantom453 said:
That new Wespe model for the WWII Asset pack looks spectacular.  The level of detail is amazing.  Well done to those responsible.  Great work.

I mean, I'd prefer to see that detail on units that will actually be seen up close, such as aircraft whose models are 15 years old. A WW2 SPG that will most likely be just a target does not need to have that amount of detail. I just hope the LODs are good, for the sake of performance.

Aircraft models take more time and are done by different team members, the person that did a WWII model will probably be moving on to another WWII model, there are people working on AI modern aircraft right now.

• Like 7

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 9/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, Harker said:
On 9/25/2021 at 2:27 AM, Phantom453 said:
That new Wespe model for the WWII Asset pack looks spectacular.  The level of detail is amazing.  Well done to those responsible.  Great work.

I mean, I'd prefer to see that detail on units that will actually be seen up close, such as aircraft whose models are 15 years old. A WW2 SPG that will most likely be just a target does not need to have that amount of detail. I just hope the LODs are good, for the sake of performance.

WW2 Assets units has build by WW2 assets team, The Modern aircrafts, Vehicles, Ships, and others has build by the Modern Assets team, the same as build Sa-5 Sam, S-60 AAA, Leopard 2A6, La Combattante II, BTR-82A, BTR-80 (the same quality of Wespe) or the incoming S-3B (confirmed by Chizh on russian forum), other aircrafts has planned (By 2021 Roadmap).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, Harker said:

I mean, I don't disagree with prioritisation, aircraft should take first place, then weapons etc, and IMO it would be better to replace units are in need of replacement rather than adding new. The quality of units should also be brought up to the same common standard.

Though for the WW2 assets, they're being created by a different team so that doesn't really apply.

But people don't exclusively play as pilots 100% of the time, and I think it's better to improve the quality of units, such that they're future proofed if DCS decides to say, make CA more of a tank simulator.

Spoiler

For example, we got a beautifully done Handy Wind and Seawise Giant, and they do fill a gap, but wouldn't it have been better to instead replace the legacy units that have been in dire need of replacement for about a decade?

Same with the new ST-68U/5N59S/36D6 RADAR, it's great that we've got a new RADAR, but the RADAR is associated with the S-300PS system that we have (as well as used as a general purpose EWR), and all of its battery components have needed replacement for ages.

Then there's quality, on the one hand we've received new units that are basically perfect, such as the new SA-6 components, the BTR-80 and -82, and the new Leopard 2s. The new M60 though looks like a BS2 quality model, and the PT-76B and ZIL-135 were units from LOMAC FC2 that weren't implemented.

The same goes for the AZP S-60 and the ZSU-57-2, the former looks to be higher quality than the latter (significantly so when you look at the muzzle and certain other components).

There is of course things like graphical representation of damage, a few missing animations and other more misc things etc but that's something that's DCS-wide as far as ground units are concerned.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Uh well, I see the forums software is playing tricks upon me again because the ED guys keep posting those earlier in some sekrit location and just moving them over, so the thing doesn't tell me there's anything new making me believe there isn't. Haven't been falling for that for quite some time now. Should have known better rdlaugh.png

New thing: being a day earlier now and probably they changed the way they're making those posts somehow as it always was displayed as unread content for a long time.

Thanks for reminding fsgrin.png

Well, all I can say is: With 30% off, this thing is a steal. Go get it while it's hot awesome.png

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not sure what all of the Multi-Core and deck crew/infantry news mean, but it sure does sound good. I can't wait.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Very excited about the engine updates, curious when it will go live.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

I get notifications for this thread, but not for the Official Updates forum or for the "Official News 2021" thread even though I'm "following" each and have the option selected to receive notifications. In general the notification system has seemed flaky ever since the new forum software was rolled out. Wish they would fix it. Sorry to bitch here but it seems at least as relevant as some of the other comments.

BTW, I also do not seem to receive the newsletter reliably. I'm subscribed and sometimes it shows up, but often does not.

• Like 2

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

This is great news today.

Multicore on approach.

Pathfinding for the infantry.

This is music to my ears. Nice that you are doing so much there.

• Like 7

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

20 hours ago, Nealius said:

Multicore or multithread? What's the difference? I'm honestly very uneducated on how processors work. I just know more GHz go brrrrrrr.

A multithreaded application will run better on a multicore processor. Theoretically at least. As long as the different threads of the application are optimized in a such a way that they can efficiently work on different cores at the same time without waiting too long for each other to complete different tasks and share information and results between themselves without introducing additional latency. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A multithreaded application will run better on a multicore processor. Theoretically at least. As long as the different threads of the application are optimized in a such a way that they can efficiently work on different cores at the same time without waiting too long for each other to complete different tasks and share information and results between themselves without introducing additional latency. 

Yeah I think that is what it means, basically the software is able to use the multi core hardware so that it runs faster.

The most important point for me is that I recognize ED has invested months of hard work that amounts to an untold number of man hours just to make DCS World work better. These are often the type of things that go largely unnoticed, but are so important to being able to enjoy DCS World. I don't like the fact that I have waited so long for any given update, but I can start to at least understand some of the reasons that may be behind it.

This thread will help me remember who to thank as I enjoy the asset rich scenery from my Mustang racing across the Normandy/Channel map at treetop level.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, schroedi said:

There are 21 points under the topic of multithread, sound not mentioned it would be 22.

Does this mean DCS is supporting up to 22 threads in the future?

No I think it means if you have a 6-core CPU, your system would be able to use more of those cores to make multiple calculations at the same time once multi-core support has been added.

Edited by Callsign112

Hopefully there will be enough potential for scalability built-in, so that over time when more and more people get CPUs with large core counts (12+), DCS will be able to take advantage of that as more and more effects will be added in over the years.

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

@NineLine I think I have a slight suspicion there could be a translation error in MultiCore for "Indication", the original word, perhaps it was "ukazaniye" might have more meanings depending on context and it could also translate into "pointing", "direction" or "designation" which is similar to "inputs" or "controls" in our case with DCS, even tho if I put the "controls" or "inputs" into the translator for a reverse translation, it threws out different words in russian that don't connect with the "indication" so I'm not sure.

Furthermore, I'm not russian but kinda close and many words are quite familiar-sounding to me (but many have different meaninings, sometimes completely different, even if they write exactly the same) and the russian term "ukazaniye" is very similar to what would mean "order" or "instruction" or "command" in my own language.

I don't seem to understand what is meant by "Indication", perhaps it's just a brainfreeze and it's something that should be obvious on my end but I'm not getting it, Like the cockpit warnings, it can't be that, because Inputs&Controls makes more sense in this case than some visual "indications" on some specific unit in-game, right?

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

1 hour ago, Worrazen said:

@NineLine I think I have a slight suspicion there could be a translation error in MultiCore for "Indication", the original word, perhaps it was "ukazaniye" might have more meanings depending on context and it could also translate into "pointing", "direction" or "designation" which is similar to "inputs" or "controls" in our case with DCS, even tho if I put the "controls" or "inputs" into the translator for a reverse translation, it threws out different words in russian that don't connect with the "indication" so I'm not sure.

Furthermore, I'm not russian but kinda close and many words are quite familiar-sounding to me (but many have different meaninings, sometimes completely different, even if they write exactly the same) and the russian term "ukazaniye" is very similar to what would mean "order" or "instruction" or "command" in my own language.

I don't seem to understand what is meant by "Indication", perhaps it's just a brainfreeze and it's something that should be obvious on my end but I'm not getting it, Like the cockpit warnings, it can't be that, because Inputs&Controls makes more sense in this case than some visual "indications" on some specific unit in-game, right?

DCS World has a international company, not only russian (The CEO, Nick Grey, and the producer, Matt Wagner, has english). The newsletters has always posted on english, and after, translate to others languajes include russian.

Hopefully there will be enough potential for scalability built-in, so that over time when more and more people get CPUs with large core counts (12+), DCS will be able to take advantage of that as more and more effects will be added in over the years.
Very important for the future going forward.
So glad seeing the contents and the stage of developments in the newsletter.
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset