2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

52 minutes ago, Lace said:

Practical? You mean completely unnecessary.  I have been flying exclusively in VR for a couple of years now and never needed to touch a mouse, trackball or VR controller.  Map a stick hat to LMB/RMB/Mouse scroll up/down and simply look at the switches to operate.  If you don't have enough buttons a modifier on your throttle lets you double up.  I can't understand why so many people don't do this.  Don't fight the HOTAS, use it!

Not every function is realistically on the HOTAS. And how do you map, say, the OSBs to a HOTAS without running out of buttons and modifiers? (As well as creating a nightmare to remember.)

Sorry, but VR just feels half baked to me. When I can reach out with my real hand, see a virtual hand (including arm) in its place, and naturally flip switches and turn dials, I'll consider it. Foveal rendering with vari-focus lenses are a must too. Maybe we'll be there in another 10 years. For now, I'll stay on a screen and not knock my drink off my desk. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Unfortunately not an option, I suck at leftie mousing. 🙂 Seriously though, I'm looking for a trackball which I could sort of ducktape to my throttle, unfortunately I've yet to find a small and suitable one. 

I sucked at leftie mousing, too, but I've gained a basic level of competency over the past couple of years through DCS-based necessity. I'm not sure i could use the mouse with my left hand for anything complex, but I'm pretty comfortable with it in DCS now,

Good luck with your trackball approach. 👍

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

27 minutes ago, SMH said:

Foveal rendering with vari-focus lenses are a must too

Funny you should mention that as these were released literally today..  https://varjo.com/products/aero/

aspheric lenses and with eye tracking to allow dynamic foveated rendering

Still a little too rich for my blood, but starting to get affordable

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

1 hour ago, SMH said:

Not every function is realistically on the HOTAS. And how do you map, say, the OSBs to a HOTAS without running out of buttons and modifiers? (As well as creating a nightmare to remember.)

You don't.  You look at it with the VR crosshairs and click LMB.  Nothing to map, nothing to remember.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

4 hours ago, ShaunX said:

Funny you should mention that as these were released literally today..  https://varjo.com/products/aero/

aspheric lenses and with eye tracking to allow dynamic foveated rendering

Still a little too rich for my blood, but starting to get affordable

DCS won't support it though. (There's already a depth of field feature though so obviously they're capable. Just needs interface to the eye trackers added.)

I won't be holding my breath. See you in a decade. 🙂

4 hours ago, Lace said:

You don't.  You look at it with the VR crosshairs and click LMB.  Nothing to map, nothing to remember.

That's not realistic either. I don't hit buttons with my eyes. Nor do I want crosshairs right in the center of my vision. (I push the mouse off the screen the instant I'm done with it.)

Oh and did I say eyes? That would be too easy. I meant entire head! I switched Jester to keyboard control so that should tell you what I think of interfacing with my head. 😉

Edited by SMH

On 10/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, SMH said:

Sorry, but VR just feels half baked to me. When I can reach out with my real hand, see a virtual hand (including arm) in its place, and naturally flip switches and turn dials, I'll consider it. Foveal rendering with vari-focus lenses are a must too. Maybe we'll be there in another 10 years. For now, I'll stay on a screen and not knock my drink off my desk. 😉

Its called Point Control... I've been using it for years.  I map my sticks/hotas realistically, and then click in the pit with my hands as god intended. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well I can't see the pic and I guess many others can't...

I'll probably get a DCS T-shirt but not a module one and other like is mentioned.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tank50us said:

Yeah, I was originally thinking "Wait, are those new tents?" And then I zoomed in and noticed the distinctive R2D2 dome and was like "Waaaaaaaait a second...."

COUNTER-ROCKET, ARTILLERY, MORTAR (C-RAM) INTERCEPT LAND-BASED PHALANX WEAPON SYSTEM (LPWS)
https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/ms-c-ram_lpws/

Other interesting detail
"The DCS: AH-64D TADS FLIR camera is also being developed to showcase our new FLIR rendering technology that will provide a much improved and more realistic portrayal of the world as seen through infrared. This same technology will also be used for other FLIR sensors in DCS targeting pods such as the infrared-guided Maverick missiles."

Other pic show changes on trees and groud to better FLIR textures.
In%20Dev3a.png