2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

9 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

New FLIR, but that tanks appears has Lecrers or a new tank?

I'm going to go with a new tank, the turret and hull shape don't match a Leclerc

Heller Military 1/35 Leclerc T5/T6 Main Battle Tank Kit – Military Model  Depot

Assuming they're French, they could be AMX-30s, or they could be a new Leopard 1. Hard to tell with FLIR sometimes.

28 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Other interesting detail
"The DCS: AH-64D TADS FLIR camera is also being developed to showcase our new FLIR rendering technology that will provide a much improved and more realistic portrayal of the world as seen through infrared. This same technology will also be used for other FLIR sensors in DCS targeting pods such as the infrared-guided Maverick missiles."

Other pic show changes on trees and groud to better FLIR textures.
In%20Dev3a.png

I honestly hope that the new "flir" model is actually more functional in the sensor sense rather than just a graphical rework and things like Diurnal Cylces and such get modeled, as well as IR contrast and reflection issues. And then it also gets added to things like IRST's that potentially have issues with say ground clutter, or sky clutter (and don't see through clouds). 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Appears on the Autumn sale video [...]

Man you're an Eagle Eye! I really only wondered about the terrain, but those are some great observations!

Yeah, with the M-2000C in it, the scene above looks like the South Atlantic terrain. Thx for the input guys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Appears on the Autumn sale video
0:07 Show RAZBAM South Atlantic map.
0:20 New missile smoke effects.
0:25 AI C-47s
0:42 muzzle flash effect
0:49 New explosion effect?
0:45 and 1:01 Very strangle F-16 vs Tornado ADV dogflight?

Tornado? I had to do some pinpoint pausing to get that. Initally I thought Mig23 but it is the wrong shape for that..   Just the AI tornado maybe....

Edited by Hoirtel

1 hour ago, joey45 said:

Don't think that's an ADV Tonka... unless ED or 3rd party made one. Probably just the GR4 .

Yeah I'm pretty certain it was the included AI Tornado, probably being purged for the sake of our eyeballs (it's a pretty old model, though not as bad as some others).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

17 minutes ago, Eldur said:

So we're basically getting $3 back in miles for the extra wait until end of January for the AH-64D early access release? I haven't ever seen such a move at all. Absolutely great and generous by ED mlp-rcrazy.png

You're serious?

• Like 1

Stay safe

4 hours ago, Eldur said:

So we're basically getting $3 back in miles for the extra wait until end of January for the AH-64D early access release? I haven't ever seen such a move at all. Absolutely great and generous by ED mlp-rcrazy.png

One that used miles to pre order get nothing🥺

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hein22 said:

You're serious?

People really need to learn how to appreciate the little things in life. It's a gesture, it doesn't matter how big or small it is.
Be thankful and move on 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The 8500 ED Miles should be equivalent to $8.50  USD if I go by the this Link:  ED Miles Terms and Conditions: 1000 ED Miles = 1 US dollar.

I have been a Fan of the MB-339 since I started up again with DCS World in 2019.  At this point I will be using the ED Miles to buy the MB-339.  

Have a great weekend ED. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Hi  Pilots,

So i'm a dcs user from the first time.... now i have a nice sim rig 8core@5,1 ghz/ 64GB RAM/ 3090 OC and a supreme Pimax 8KX.

What should i say DCS looks amazing and its a realy big step to feel what it means to sit in a fighter jet cockpit....

So the only thing what is realy bad is simply and easy the Performance in VR..... VR in Flight sims is the "big thing".

So at a few time ago i have heard DCS maybe gets Vulkan Support. my personal it should get DLSS Suport as well for VR so then the Performance Hogs with a 3xxx Graphics card is almost gone.....
So when maybe is it real DCS gets this supports .... ?!?!?!?
My personal meaning it should be a top prio for the devs because the DCS engine would becomes to old. so the any news? no nebolous anouncements hard facts are needed.....

greets

and sorry for my bad english .

Grasnabe.

if you're look for hard facts and no nebulous anoucements you're out of luck. 

Closest to "hard facts" on here is this 

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

All we have now is that single "Multicore - Development report", and a statement, that Vulkan will not be available this year.

Ohh, and some newer hard facts: the devs are making "good progress", as always, so maybe somewhere in the near future (January / February 2022) there will be something ready to test for someone. So to speak not for open testing, but for internal use for the devs. Or maybe not, because all this development is really resource-hungry (no joke).

The hardest fact: NO ETA available on Vulkan. And no ETA will be available for Vulkan. Vulkan simply will be ready sometime. Somehow. But if it will be in a good enough state to share any more detailed infos then I'm sure they will. Somehow. Sometime. But surely it will be in the future. I can guaratee. 😉

During the wait check out the adventures of Vulkan in the past here:

P.S. for the devs: please dont take this write as sarcasm. I am sure, that Vulkan will be marvellous, so we are waiting. Keep up the good work!

• Like 4
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

The AI changes are great news, but I do have to say:

"Although SFM produces accurate trajectory parameters such as turn rate, specific excess power, flight envelope, etc. it suffers from a lack of natural short-period movement and switched models for ground and flight."

Seeing an F-5 do endless tight loops without any energy loss isn't exactly accurate, my guys. 

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 5

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

That's great news about AI flight model and behavior improvements coming next year but I have a humble request. In the future, before undertaking multiyear projects to set new standards for realism and fidelity, please, please, please make what exists work as intended and make a commitment to avoid implementing new features until they won't break old ones. We've gone years with AI that uses afterburner needlessly until it flames out, won't consistently attack targets, has questionable ground collision avoidance, and has suicidal tendencies toward anti-aircraft defences. It's very frustrating to design and fly missions with unreliable AI behavior and constant changes to that behavior between versions.

• Like 6

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

The problem is that's kind of a losing proposition for them.

Let's play the hypotheticals and say that these AI changes are going to fix those problems and back up 30 months to when they're planning how they're going to attack this issue of the GFM and plan it all out. They know the system they have right now, although flawed, works and that they have campaigns and products sitting in their store people have paid money for and 3rd party devs had spent development time and money on to get to work with that flawed system. None of us are privy to how those agreements work if ED decides to change something in the base game that could potentially break something in those missions that then causes those 3rd parties to have to spend their own dev time and money fixing them. They don't have a choice because their own paying customers now own a broken product. Regardless of what's in our EULAs, it's a bad image.

So they have two choices.

1. Do nothing with the current system and put all dev resources towards the new AI and GFM effort over the next ~18mo. to complete it and just replace the old flawed system. As part of the testing process they can run it against the missions in-house and see how it performs and at least provide 3rd parties with estimates of what needs changes in their missions to get them to execute as they intended. In an absolutely perfect world, to quote an (in)famous RPG dev, "It just works" and the mission designers don't have to do much of anything, or ED writes a fancy "update script" they can just point at all the missions that does the necessary changes automagically. (I think the reality will be something between. A script to update the missions with potentially new AI parameters that then devs will have to go in and set, but should be straightforward and not labor intensive.)

2. Split part of the team and add the incremental changes to get the flawed system slightly better and potentially then get knock on and trickle down problems that they then have to go back and fix over and over, breaking the game and missions repeatedly as it's tweaked. You won't see the first of these changes probably for another 6-9mo. and then the "usual" 1-2mo. between to fix the small problems and then even longer to fix the larger ones, and then for what? To fix a system that's going to get thrown out the window down the road anyway? It's wasted time and resources and a headache for anyone that's built a mission and particularly antagonizing towards customers (theirs and those of 3rd parties) that paid for content that breaks repeatedly.

You may have noticed that I said 18 mo. in that hypothetical meeting 30 mo. ago.... That might have been the original projection until the plague hit and screwed everything up.

--------------------------------

On the topic of the AI changes themselves, I'm also looking forward to the day that we're not fighting F-5s with whackadoodle physics defying flight models. I will concede I don't know the definition, and thusly the limits, of trajectory based modeling of the SFM, but what we have now at times for the AI is hardly anything that could be called accurate.

I certainly hope we're also not here a year from now getting another message about how it's delayed into 2023. I'm sorry but the track record just isn't that good and I don't forget or forgive that lightly. The high detail Kuz model was shown in videos for years, and not actually in game, and then put behind a pay wall. The SA-5 was teased for a year a half in screen shots before finally making it's way in game, and we don't even have the right EW radar for it yet (granted the actual implementation of the missile is AMAZING). And the Apache videos looked promising and things seemed to be "on schedule" to us on the outside and then we got the bad news. Of course that's understand able, as we don't want a repeat of the Viper release, however the fact the Viper release happened....

So on a scale from Kuz to Apache, I'm wondering where this is gong to land...

• Like 3

Has the SFM (Standard Flight Model) been used for all (or most) Ai jets until now, instead of the flightmodels of the player jets?? Why??? 🤨

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence