Finding bottleneck with rift and low loads.

LittleBall_S4

Hi, all. First post, although long time reader.

I have been using dcs for a while now, a10c some years ago, SU25T recently. Hd tv then, DK2 now. Dcs 1.5.

I heard Rift support was better now, so I pulled my DK2 from the bottom of a box, and I am very happy with the immersion, it is much better now than couple of years back (pixel density and this "fake frames" were a home run, I think, not to mention UI in general). I've been playing with the settings for the last couple of weeks.

I started with almost everything at minimums, with 1.5 PD and it's a bit old-looking but great fun. However, I'd like to enable clouds and some other stuff, but it's not smooth and I don't like it.

I have 37 fps most of the time, jumping to 75 when up high or looking up. In both conditions, 37 and 75, i see a bit of throttling, and low cpu use (circa 60% GPU and 20% CPU). So I have no clue as where the bottleneck is.

If I understand it properly, CPU and GPU work one after the other to render a frame. If it comes in time for the 75 fps mark, all ok, but if not, simulation change its "clock" to 37 and stays there, rift interpolates a frame in between two. Fine with me. I guess somebody will check the total render time from time to time, and if it is less than half of the total available time, it will try 75 again. ok.

But if mr intel / mr nvidia are checking meanwhile how bad is the load on the cores to throttle it, it certainly is not too bad with 37. And then, throttled, how is it going to ever go back up to 75? :doh:

I know, I know, try and see. The problem is throttle stop is not working, BIOS settings are not working either, and windows power settings didn't do anything that i could see (still throttling) although win10 power setting to "performance" surprisingly improved smoothness a little. (Go figure)

My question is: Is it worth the effort to stop throttling to ease these quantic fps jumps? Is there a way to find the bottleneck? Upgrading the whole thing is not in my plans.

Or just settle and enjoy as it is?

i7 860 @3.2 turbo (stock) - MSI gtx 970 OC @1.5Ghz core 7.9 Ghz mem - 6Gb DDR3 1333 - Toshiba q300 SSD - Win10.

Thanks a lot!

DCS World director (alpha) /Config/Effects/Clouds.lua

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1