On the topic of Iranian Tomcats & Russian Weapons

Cobra847

If you do have a special checkbox for the attempted/tested/abandoned weapons for fun, please consider adding the American weapons that were carry tested but not implemented due to funding or necessity, such as AMRAAM, HARM, Harpoon, and SLAM(1st gen).

While it would be fun to do this, it would require changing the pilot interfaces and things like that (hence a fairly big effort). The whole point with the Iranian modifications would be that it was likely a hack, using existing interfaces etc. Just tricking the system into thinking it was the normal weapons. Not that i have any sources for this, just thinking it would be the most likely scenario :P

• Like 1

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

FWIW- we're low on time as it stands, so anything 'extra' like this will happen some time after EA release.

It's alright. :smilewink: Get the important stuff done first. We can wait as long as it takes for extra stuff if you decide to add it in. :D

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

• 1 year later...

There is list differencies Iranian F-14A GR IIAF/ IRIAF in time (1979-1980) against F-14A US NAVY

- downgraded ECM

- downgraded ECCM

- AWG-9 changed frequencies or jumped wavelengths/ counter jammings

- Processors was slowered about 1/100 against US NAVY F-14A processors

- APX-81-M1E IFF system for Iranians could only detect and interoggate transponders of Soviet origin

Air to Air loadout

AIM-54A Phoenix - ECCM was there a bit downgraded against same AIM-54A used in same time in US NAVY

AIM-7E-4 Sparrow - from deliveries for F-4s for IIAF (AIM-7F never been delivered to Iran, but before islamic revolution it was planned)

AIM-9P2 /P3 Sidewinder- from deliveries for F-4s/ F-14As for IIAF

Engine:

TF30-PW-414 (Was less prone to stall engine than original engine TF30-PW-412 mounted to first series of F-14A for US Navy)

There are some source data about use microprocessor in F-14A

http://firstmicroprocessor.com/

Edited by Magot

Sorry to spoil the party, but why apply a double standard?

You know what other weapon could feasibly be interfaced with the Tomcat? AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Scratch that. Not feasibly. It was already tested and proven.

Its just the needed $$$ for full fleet conversion the top brass chose to divert in favor of the ground attack capability.

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

While it would be fun to do this, it would require changing the pilot interfaces and things like that (hence a fairly big effort). The whole point with the Iranian modifications would be that it was likely a hack, using existing interfaces etc. Just tricking the system into thinking it was the normal weapons. Not that i have any sources for this, just thinking it would be the most likely scenario :P

It makes sense

Sorry to spoil the party, but why apply a double standard?

You know what other weapon could feasibly be interfaced with the Tomcat? AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Scratch that. Not feasibly. It was already tested and proven.

Its just the needed $$$ for full fleet conversion the top brass chose to divert in favor of the ground attack capability.

That's only for the super-kitty. AWG-9 birds don't speak AMRAAM.

Yes, I know this, but the F-14Bs were planned to receive the upgrade of the AWG-9 to APG-71 as part of upgrade programs OFP317/320/321... or would this have considerably altered the cockpit and displays to something completely different than what HB has already modeled?

S!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

That's not entirely correct. The Navy planned to integreate the AMRAAM into the F-14 Tomcat (not super tomcat!) and did even conduct missile tests with it in the 1980s (see picture). The project got canceled, because the Cold War ended and thus the Navy deemed a fleet upgrade for AMRAAM compatibility as too costly.

F-14_carrying_AMRAAM.jpg

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But they never did, the end. And yes, it would have changed the radar interface and cockpit.

Yes, I know this, but the F-14Bs were planned to receive the upgrade of the AWG-9 to APG-71 as part of upgrade programs OFP317/320/321... or would this have considerably altered the cockpit and displays to something completely different than what HB has already modeled?

S!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The Amraam discussion above is exactly like adding badly documented weapons is a dangerous present and honestly, I would prefer if you just said "our Iranian Tomcat models an early 80's IRIAF machine before the extra weapon integrations took place". Doing it just sets an annoying precedent.

That said, if you're going to add the expanded inventory then I 100% support the idea of having it as an option disabled by default and only available for servers/mission makers should they decide to go for it.

That's not entirely correct. The Navy planned to integreate the AMRAAM into the F-14 Tomcat (not super tomcat!) and did even conduct missile tests with it in the 1980s (see picture). The project got canceled, because the Cold War ended and thus the Navy deemed a fleet upgrade for AMRAAM compatibility as too costly.

F-14_carrying_AMRAAM.jpg

Pictures make you determine thinks that aren't true.....What you see is a carry test and a launch test that had nothing to do with the onboard radar of the host jet.

You are witnessing an early test of an AMRAAM before it was ever in service. The AWG-9 could not work with AMRAAM. The APG-71 could. The AMRAAM upgrage would have happened if the Navy was allowed by congress to buy/convert all its F-14s to the D standard.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The Amraam discussion above is exactly like adding badly documented weapons is a dangerous present and honestly, I would prefer if you just said "our Iranian Tomcat models an early 80's IRIAF machine before the extra weapon integrations took place". Doing it just sets an annoying precedent.

That said, if you're going to add the expanded inventory then I 100% support the idea of having it as an option disabled by default and only available for servers/mission makers should they decide to go for it.

+1

Pictures make you determine thinks that aren't true.....What you see is a carry test and a launch test that had nothing to do with the onboard radar of the host jet.

You are witnessing an early test of an AMRAAM before it was ever in service. The AWG-9 could not work with AMRAAM. The APG-71 could. The AMRAAM upgrage would have happened if the Navy was allowed by congress to buy/convert all its F-14s to the D standard.

Yes, I did not say anything contrary.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 years later...

the project failed, they have tried different launches with different parameters, at the end launch was success but the guidance was failure and project failed
the R-27 was total failure due to couple of reasons

There is not any evidence, of the shot, Although they carried and shot for test which failed couple of times, either the missile drop like stone, or failed in guidance, not to mention the missile has huge aerodynamic difference and heavier

Edited by Raviar