Raven68

DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. DCSW 2.5 and Caucasus Discussion?

• 2.5 early release?
    • 2.5 open alpha?
    • 2.5 open beta?
    • 2.5 stable release?

I have noticed that there are new threads creeping up over time on the various items for example, DCS F/A-18C OFP..., DCS Newsletter Discussion, DCS World 1.5 & 2.0 Open Alpha and I just noticed today DCS Update Patch Notes Discussion.

Is it ok to open this new thread to discuss what I believe most us agree to be the biggest milestone for ED since launching the DCS series? It seems to be barely mentioned since all the hype on WWII and it's elements. Don't get me wrong I love what ED has done to bring this forward I applaud them for it. Also the F/A-18C has stolen a lot of thunder since it was announced it would be demonstrated at E3 and there is nothing negative to say about that either. It's getting a lot of deserved attention.

I do have to ask Matt and any ED staff where is the PR for 2.5 and the Caucasus map? Is it not mature enough to mention or post any WIP pics? I do recall something from last year ...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

I am sure I am not the only one who is interested in the status of this. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

They let us know that as Normandy gets polished up and finished off, work would start moving over to getting the Caucasus Map ready for release, as well there are some big effects still being worked on such as explosions. As always, when it gets close to release, Wags and the team start sharing more and more info.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Looking forward to the new effects, probably more so than the caucasus map, because that's the only graphics change that hasn't been implemented yet.

Better performance for these things would be great too.

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes clouds and contrails and missile trails sometimes flicker?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I belive the topic has been under wraps for two reasons:

1 As of late the Spitfire, the Normandy map, the Hornet (and Harrier and Tomcat although not ED:s projects) have been the center of attention. This and the fact that 2.5 has been delayed from the initial approximate timeframe that it has not been as relevant a topic for a while.

2 The new version of Caucasus and the 2.5 version have been discussed to death the last time we had any substantial info on the subject (back in 2016 when we last got to see screenshots of the Caucasus remake).

So I feel the discussion has not been relevant, and probably won't become relevant before the Hornet is out.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

So I feel the discussion has not been relevant, and probably won't become relevant before the Hornet is out.

I am not sure how true it is now, but my understanding was that the F/A-18C would usher in naval ops for the SoH map which is dependent on 2.5. If it is true then it has to become relevant before the Hornet.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

if you give some thought to what wags and olgerd have been saying as to the hornet release you should realize your understanding is wrong.

there is obviously not going to be soh release before the hornet, and e3 has demonstrated carrier mechanics in 2.1, outside of soh.

so no, 2.5 and soh is not a relevant discussion right now.

F/A-18C is several months away according to Matt. Could be towards the end of the year for all we know. What else have they said to give you anything definitive as to it being before 2.5? Do you have the pulse of ED? There are no dates for either item, but we do know that both are being worked on and resources are shifting to completing the Caucasus map. So why is it not relevant or worthy for discussion?

I will agree that I am skeptic about SoH, but again what do you or I know on the true status of this map? There was a mention in another thread that there may be a surprise for this year and SoH could very well be that. You can call it reaching, but is it really not worth a discussion?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

From Wags, regarding SoH, on May 29th.

Please do not expect any news on this project until after 2.5 is released.

Thanks

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I never said the subject isn't worth discussing. All I noted is that it might not be as relevant at the moment. And SoH is not relevant to the OP topic.

It has also been stated by Wags that the work on Caucasus continues After the Normandy is Completed. And Normandy is not yet completed. As said, the hornet is most likey coming later this year (tentative, not definite). But we do not have any statements considering 2.5 or Caucasus, which by logic would indicate to me, that they are farther out in the timeline than the Hornet. Also remember that ED currently has only one Map-dev-team. They need to finish Normandy first before any significant effort can be put toward Caucasus.

Naturally this is mere speculation as ED may have a plan for a surprise they intend to keep until the very end... but that is also speculation.

I'm not devaluing the 2.5/Caucasus discussion. All I am saying is, we have not had any new info on the subject for a while and there are more prevalent subjects on the table currently.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

When ED give us something to talk about regarding 2.5, then the discussion will gain some momentum, and relevance. Right now, we're in the midst of Normandy being fixed and the rolling out of a stable and complete 2.1.

All we know right now is 2.5 is coming, but we don't know when, and it is on hold until Normandy is complete.

The state of the F/A-18C is a separate issue, and we can hopefully expect to see it this year, but even that is by no means certain. Exhibiting a demo is a different animal to releasing it as an almost complete module..

When ED give us something to talk about regarding 2.5, then the discussion will gain some momentum, and relevance. Right now, we're in the midst of Normandy being fixed and the rolling out of a stable and complete 2.1.

All we know right now is 2.5 is coming, but we don't know when, and it is on hold until Normandy is complete.

The state of the F/A-18C is a separate issue, and we can hopefully expect to see it this year, but even that is by no means certain. Exhibiting a demo is a different animal to releasing it as an almost complete module..

------2.5 is not coming, but will come out finally, might be the end of next year.:D

------2.5 is not coming, but will come out finally, might be the end of next year.:D

My hope is that it is closer than what is being led on by all the silence. Yes I know there have been a lot of resource dedicated to the Normandy map to get it to early release, but I believe there has been some resources dedicated to the Caucasus map to keep the work going in parallel with Normandy.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

My hope is that it is closer than what is being led on by all the silence. Yes I know there have been a lot of resource dedicated to the Normandy map to get it to early release, but I believe there has been some resources dedicated to the Caucasus map to keep the work going in parallel with Normandy.

I'm inclined to agree,

Last year just before it was pushed past the end, we were told that they just had a few big problems to sort out before they would be ready to release 2.5.

The biggest was how to render large forests, The other was re-texturing a bunch of items.

Both of these I would think would have been helped by developing the Normandy map.

A lot of work was done on the caucuses last summer.

But we will see, I will be more than happy to stick with 1.5 and 2.1 if I have the hornet! :D

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

i would imagine, that also the campaign designers would need to do a pass on all their missions, to make sure placement is still good with the new forest-gemometry and that AI LOS is still decent with the higher mesh resoulution and new trees.

i would imagine, that also the campaign designers would need to do a pass on all their missions, to make sure placement is still good with the new forest-gemometry and that AI LOS is still decent with the higher mesh resoulution and new trees.

Wow I hadn't thought of that.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

Wow I hadn't thought of that.

+1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Although if this proved to be a huge hurdle I would happily drop forward compatibility with 1.X mission files in a 2.5.X build. If the cost of getting a 2.5 build sooner is without backward compatibility then I'd be prepared to take that! YMMV

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Although if this proved to be a huge hurdle I would happily drop forward compatibility with 1.X mission files in a 2.5.X build. If the cost of getting a 2.5 build sooner is without backward compatibility then I'd be prepared to take that! YMMV

The problem with that is there are paid campaigns that would also become incompatible. Then there is the issue of no longer having any training missions/campaigns for any of the the aircraft. The loss of both of those items would hurt the sales potential of ED's products.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The problem with that is there are paid campaigns that would also become incompatible. Then there is the issue of no longer having any training missions/campaigns for any of the the aircraft. The loss of both of those items would hurt the sales potential of ED's products.

Retro-fixing them post release would be a compromise moving forward to remove any hold ups. Anyway, this is all rather theoretical.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

• ED Team

I don't think that would be an option, I am sure that ED would not want to lose all that content.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

They let us know that as Normandy gets polished up and finished off, work would start moving over to getting the Caucasus Map ready for release, as well there are some big effects still being worked on such as explosions. As always, when it gets close to release, Wags and the team start sharing more and more info.

Wasn't Normandy made by a third party? Is Caucasus going to be updated by the same third party?

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I don't think that would be an option, I am sure that ED would not want to lose all that content.

For an Alpha/Beta I think it would be worth it.